Mk3 MR2

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Texelburger

Mk3 MR2

Post by Texelburger »

Hi,
New to this forum so hello all.Im looking to buy a mk3 MR2 and was wondering what to look out for.I know there is a pre cat issue,more so with the older ones,and would like to know if it easy to tell if the pre cat has been removed.I know,also,to check the rear subframe as they can corrode.Is there anything else ?
I currently have a 2003 916 Alfa Spider 3.2 V6 which I will probably sell,it's a rare beast with only approx 25 in the UK with the this engine variant.

Wilkie Senior
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Mk3 MR2

Post by Wilkie Senior »

Hello & Welcome

Not a MK3 myself but if you go to the "Know Your 2 at the top you will fins some info

and use the search function to find info posted threads

Regards Brian
"That's a Negative Jim..I Do Not Have The Measles!"

Topic author
Texelburger

Post by Texelburger »

Thank you Brian.Will have a search.

MRHAPPY62
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Welcome to the Club :clapping:
steering uj is another common and expensive problem .
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

Please note it is not a pre cat issue it is an oil burning issue in the 1zz engine of the roadster! The precats breaking down are a symptom of the other issue.

The oil control rings get gummed up and then it's "Goodnight Vienna" for your engine.

Toyota updated the pistons in late 52 early 03 reg but it didn't totally work so they did it again in late 55 reg early 06 reg and it does seem to have worked, however, you can't go by registration. One of the Facebook pages for roadsters has a note of the engine that they think was the last change/update. Some people have fitted the updated pistons and some have even retro-fitted returns on them but I don't know how well that has worked.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”