Hey, New Owner, New Project

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Cat129
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Hey, New Owner, New Project

Post by Cat129 »

Hey Everyone,

I've become the owner of a very unloved MK3 2002.

It needs a lot of work doing on it

My question is, what would you look at first, what are the main issues

This is a project car just for fun so will be done as and when,

Thing we know need doing

Both from shocks
Rear disks, pads, clipers
Rear wheel bearing
Complete paint job
New seats
Interior has lots of bits missing hear and there
Engine light is on, but not plugged it in yet to see why

From previous MOT's I can see the chassis is rusted, but not been able to get under yet to see how bad

The car cost me it's scrap value so I'm not too fussed if it's unsaveable, but want to give it a try

Also, thinking probably going to plasti dip the whole car, would love to hear if others have successfully done this

Thanks Guys
Cat

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Hey, New Owner, New Project

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Welcome to the Club :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Rear subframe is prone to rust ,Steering uj's seize up ,oil burning, do it up put a v6 or 2zz in it you have a winner ;)
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

andyroo
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 15

Post by andyroo »

Hi and welcome to the OC.
MR2 MK3 Silver 56
Mercedes E220 2016
Lexus IS300H 2014

Topic author
Cat129

Post by Cat129 »

Just wondering if anyone has made a step by step guide of fully dismantling the car?

If there is could someone pop a link on for me please. I did have a quick look but couldn't find what I'm after

Thanks

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

You can download a pdf copy of MK3 BGB (the Toyota workshop manual) from here LINKY It should have the information you need ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Cat129

Post by Cat129 »

jimi wrote: 12/06/22 17:39 You can download a pdf copy of MK3 BGB (the Toyota workshop manual) from here LINKY It should have the information you need ;)
Amazing, thank you!

Topdownman
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Topdownman »

Welcome.

I would start by getting underneath to look at the rust situation and to see if any welding is needed. Hopefully not so it will be a case of wire brushing and rust converting then painting. This is relatively inexpensive but time consuming but will help you learn more about the car before you start changing parts. Have a good look at the cross member under the radiator as its only single skinned and they are starting to rust through now. The fix for that is welding in a piece from a scrap car.

I am currently doing something similar to you with my new car and will be repainting it with Rustoleum Combicolour thinned 20% using a roller (lots of youtube vdeos about this).

Good luck!

Topic author
Cat129

Post by Cat129 »

Topdownman wrote: 13/06/22 7:56 Welcome.

I would start by getting underneath to look at the rust situation and to see if any welding is needed. Hopefully not so it will be a case of wire brushing and rust converting then painting. This is relatively inexpensive but time consuming but will help you learn more about the car before you start changing parts. Have a good look at the cross member under the radiator as its only single skinned and they are starting to rust through now. The fix for that is welding in a piece from a scrap car.

I am currently doing something similar to you with my new car and will be repainting it with Rustoleum Combicolour thinned 20% using a roller (lots of youtube vdeos about this).

Good luck!
I stripped the interior out today, that was rancid. It's going to the garage tomorrow who we are friendly with so we can get the inspection covers off and take a look how bad the rust is. Looking from the inside it needs some rust convertor on the inside, but it's not gone through.

Will look out for the bits you mentioned tomorrow, we know it has rusted from previous MOT's but going to see the extent tommorow

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”