Clutch Mk3

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
kgeals

Clutch Mk3

Post by kgeals »

Hi all,

Never posted before and havn't huge knowlege. So hi to all..

I have a 2002 Mk3 ca. 50k miles - I notice that my cluch cable is squeaking and gears seem a bit crunchy. I presume the problem is my clutch - poss pivot point needs greasing? Is my clutch on the way out?

If so any recommendations for garage in West Midlands?

ta in advance...

Kevin..

Topic author
bikerider

Clutch Mk3

Post by bikerider »

Wouldn't have thought so. It would be slipping if it was. If the gears are crunching it's not fully disengaging which sounds more like a hydraulic problem, probably the slave cylinder. Can't help you with the garage I'm afraid but for something simple like that I'd take it to one of the small local boys.

satansweeturbo
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Clutch Mk3

Post by satansweeturbo »

Hi there to test if your clutch is slipping...
Drive along at 30ish MPH, Have it in 5th gear and put clutch pedal to
the floor... then floor the gas.... right up to near redline.....
if the car shoots/lurches forward it's the clutch slipping.
Doesn't sound like it from your description but this should rule out clutch slip!
Good luck, M.
Back from the belly of the beast.. with Mot now!

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=95418.html

Topic author
kgeals

Clutch Mk3

Post by kgeals »

Thanks guys for your feedback - I have to confess at being a mechanic retard!

I did as satansweeturbo suggested and tested the clutch slipping - no problems there.

I took my car into Toyota and suggested the squeking clutch is on some pivot or another that needed greasing but said it would be a huge job to fix as it would involve taking out the gearbox! eek! Is that right?

Re. the crunching gears - I meant that it was crunching going into gear esp first. Does that still tie in with the slave cylinder (I presume thats part of the clutch mechanism too)

ta in advance,

Kevin..

Topic author
bikerider

Clutch Mk3

Post by bikerider »

That squeak is a MR2 trademark on the MK2 and it sounds like it's the same on the 3. It the clutch release bearing, it needs greasing. Both mine have got it and your mechanic's right, the box has to come out to fix it. It won't do any harm, most of us just ignore it. That crunching business with the gears definitely sounds like a hydraulic problem. There are two cylinders in the system, the master cylinder and the slave cylinder and getting air in the system, and it doesn't take much - which is what your problem sound like - is usually down to a leak in one of them and it's usually the slave cylinder. I would let your local garage put it on the hoist and have a look. If it is that it's an easy problem to fix.

Topic author
kgeals

Clutch Mk3

Post by kgeals »

Cheers for the replies chaps - least its nothing to worry about too much. Its been an education!

ta.

Topic author
kgeals

Clutch Mk3

Post by kgeals »

In what way?

ta

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”