MR2 Radio issues

This section is for technical Q & A only - any other threads will be deleted/moved. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
muldoonpa

MR2 Radio issues

Post by muldoonpa »

Hi, I recently purchased a beautiful 1990 MR2 Mk2.
The only problem I have is that the radio is not working.
There does not seem to be power to it as it appears dead.
Even if I hold down the tune up "^" and "1" buttons at the same time for up to 30 secs, nothing happens.
I contacted the dealer and he told me there was definitely power to it when it was in the garage but they entered in the security code wrong 3 times and he said the radio is now probably disabled.
How do I get it working again ? its the original Toyota 1669 radio.
I checked the fuses and they are alright. The cigarette lighter is working fine and so is the dome light as I have read the radio can work off either fuse.
Any help greatly appreciated.

SegaAges
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: MR2 Radio issues

Post by SegaAges »

Do you have any lights or any display on, been a few year since I've seen the stock radio, there maybe a fuse on the back of it, if I were you I would pull the head unit out and check to see if you have 12 volts going to it first I you do then look for fuses on it,

If the dealer has been fiddling with it and entered the code wrong then it maybe locked out, sounds a bit weird though if you know the code is wrong why would you keep entering it until it locks it's self, maybe just a poor excuse for a radio that was knacked in the first place.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

Have you checked oht this KY2 article? https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.htm ... bartid=234
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

jeff
Administrator
Administrator
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20

Post by jeff »

the post implies you got it from a dealer, if they are local, why not go back and get them to sort it ?
Not Plan B again!! Why don't we just go with plan B in the first place?
It’s more important to lose a minute in life than your life in a minute

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “ICE”