Suggest a system - start from new

This section is for technical Q & A only - any other threads will be deleted/moved. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Suggest a system - start from new

Post by MR2Jay »

Morning folks....

Been looking at my car trying to list out everything that needs doing to finish it off basically. While I'm tackling things like bodywork, lights, interior etc and finishing off some little mech jobs that are hanging out, there is one glaringly obvious area that needs work..... The stereo system. :no:

OK, at the moment I have a real JDM nineties gem and while it's in keeping with the age of the car, I can't stand the damned thing. It's too busy, it's a combo CD/Minidisc player (both formats I just don't use any more), still only tunes to Japanese radio stations.... You get the idea. To top it all off, I don't think I have an intact speaker left in the car :laughing

So, in order to draw a line under this, I need to do something with it.

Head unit wise, I am looking for something that will run off a USB stick at the very least. I don't want a CD player (they take up space in the car, get damaged etc). Being able to run Spotify would be a great addition. Double din to make the most of the space I have.

Speakers? I think I'm going to go with Hertz components. Every system I've heard using these has sounded pretty good to be fair. I'm really in 2 minds over a sub. While giving a great depth, aesthetically they don't sit well with me being behind the seats. It also takes the space where the T-bar glass would sit on those rare days where the sun is actually out. Is there an alternative way to get some low down punch without resorting to a sub box? Would I be better off running a separate amp for the component speakers or rely on the built-in amp? Is there anything that can be installed in the rear panels (where the seat belt runs through) to give any depth to the sound?

Advice please guys :th: I'm a bit of an audio newb to be honest. Wiring it up isn't the problem but selecting a decent system I have no idea about

Cheers :th:

1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Suggest a system - start from new

Post by notroubleclubber »

Components in doors and standard tweeter positions, small sub in a custom enclosure behind passenger seat and decent head unit with an amp to power them all.
Plenty for me and i love my music though i find i dont have it on in my car as im always listening out for engine noises lol

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

It's the sub enclosure that I'm really not sure about. :no:

I've seen the behind seat ones and worry that I'll have no space to store the t-bar glass....

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

OK, how would this sound?

Trying to avoid a sub

Hi/Low pass in the doors to high high and low frequencies like these

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audi ... eskf165_5/

And 4" Co-axials in the rear positions to handle the mid range like these

http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audi ... -ecx100_5/

How this is rigged to an amp I have no idea :laughing

Really need a bit of guidance on how I can get a rounded sound in the cab without losing the behind seat space, especially with these new seat coming :no:

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Both panels will fit behind one seat just fine Jay, you can run a proper sub on one side.

Rears you can take or leave to be honest, they are in the wrong position really. All they do is pull the sound stage back a little, they add nothing to sound quality.

The F version of the Energy 165's are the shallow mount ones, you don't need those, the regular 165's fit fine with the right size adapter.

Get a sub, it's really worth it. If space is a concern then have a look at the under seat options, if anyone makes one slim enough to fit.

Amp will be easy for someone of your abilities mate, just needs a good 12V straight from the battery (appropriately fused of course), solid ground. RCA's from the stereo to the amp, and speaker wire to the speakers from the amp. 14-16AWG is plenty for that. Sub may need a little meatier depending on power. Also need to run a signal wire from the stereo to the amp, the stereo will have an amp remote that goes high (12V) when the unit is on to signal the amp to switch on. Otherwise it'll drain your battery overnight!
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

Save your money and listen to the engine instead
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

I hear you Vinny....It's just one thing that stands out as "not being finished" if you know what I mean. Other than an engine detail, after I've finished this stint, it's all that's left :th:

Gaz, I really doubt I'll be able to get anything "Under Seat" looking at the base profile and mounting subframes for the Corbeau's I have on order. I looked at the prospect of mounting an amplifier under the passenger seat and that just isn't going to work :no:

I'm going to have to have a look at how your's is set up with the box, taking into consideration the different seats, and make my mind up from there. I don't want to be chopping and changing, I want a "fit once and forget" solution.

Head unit wise, I've been looking at the Pioneer stuff. Any thoughts on the MVH-AV280BT?

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/uk/products/mvh-av280bt

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

That's the updated / new model year version of mine. I paid about £140 - £150 new I think, Halfords price matched Car Audio Direct!

It's decent for the money. Preamps are 4V which is important, some cheaper units are 2V which means you have a worse signal to noise, and your amp has to work harder. Preout quality is decent too.

Bluetooth works fine, would be nice for there to be more integration with Spotify etc but I suppose if I want that I need to go Android Auto. Audio quality in calls is good.

The EQ is OK, I've used better, but I think for the money it's good. Has a built in low pass filter for the rear / sub out and high pass filter for the fronts which is handy - if you run a sub you don't want to be sending your front speakers the low frequencies. Decent amps have these filters built in too.

If you're really stuck for space on a one off thing the box takes barely a minute to remove, speaker wires are on easily removeable terminals.

Fair point on the aftermarket seats. With the sub behind the driver seat I cannot put the seat fully back on the rails without it interfering with the sub (one or two clicks away required), however you could put it on passenger side, it doesn't really matter as bass frequencies are omnidirectional. I just put it behind the driver seat as you can feel the kick a little more.

IIRC, Will has a little Focal sub mounted on top of the cubby box. This could be a nice solution. Not as loud / powerful as mine, but it does provide a nice bit of low end extension. I'll try and find a link.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yeah, this thing - https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car- ... es/ibus-21

has the amp for the front speakers built in too. Neat solution, compact, but expensive. Other companies may do something similar.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

That's a tidy little solution :th:

OK, I think I need to get the seats into the car and work out what space I have left. From there, I can decide whether I can get away with a sub, try and find a home for an amp and begin to build up a pile of goodies to install in one hit.

The seat should be with me a week on Monday so not long to wait. As soon as I know how they sit in the car, I can plan properly. :th:

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

OK, talking to Corbeau, I should be able to fit a sub in behind, no problem at all. The profile of the seat I have chosen is specifically designed for a smaller cab which really helps (pure luck ;))

2 questions.

Firstly, I have selected this amplifier as it can run as a 3 channel amp (fronts and a sub). Where is the best place to position it?

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/amplifi ... ifier-760w

Secondly, if I'm going this way it would make sense to run the wiring before the seats are installed. That means buying the head unit and wiring at the least so I can run it all under the carpets/trim to the final positions. What cabling would I need, bearing in mind I would be starting from scratch other than the connection to the headunit itself.

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

That amp looks good for the money. I'm sure prices for some of them have gone up quite a bit, I'm sure the Rainbow Dream 4 used to be available for closer to £150... If you could get one for that price it would be worth the extra for sure. Seems they are ~£200 now.

For cabling, you'll need -

2x RCA cables - one for the front channel, one for the rear (sub) channel. Length depends on where you're going to route the cables and position the amp.

Power wiring - 4AWG will be plenty. 0AWG is unnecessary for this kind of setup and a PITA to run due to it's size. You'll also need an inline fuse holder + appropriately sized fuse - fuse should be the same or slightly higher than the fuse rating of the amp, which will be in the manual or obvious from the unit if it's got blade fuses on the power side. Fuse goes as close to the battery as possible to protect against shorts - if the power cable got damaged near the amp end then the fuse goes and it's safe. I've seen people put the fuse at the amp end... if something happened to the wire between the fuse and the battery it'll start a fire so don't do that! Lengths again depend on where you run cables and where you put the amp. In theory any good ground to chassis is fine. Don't forget to order a ring terminal or similar for the ground wire to attach it to the chassis.

Remote wire - super thin gauge, it's just a signal wire, all it's doing is sending a 12V signal to the amp to tell it to turn on.

Speaker wire - 16 or 14AWG will be fine for the component speakers. Sub is pushing a bit more power so you could go to 12AWG here, but to be honest 14AWG is probably fine. I think I ran 12AWG in mine for the sub.

Where were you thinking of putting the amp? You can put it in the frunk, behind a seat, in the boot. I found I got a lot of power steering noise when mounted in the frunk, but your mileage may vary!
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

My first thought is to place it behind the seats, possibly using the riser on the passenger side under the sub but whether there is space there for that amp I don't know. Looking at the size (348x60x215), it may fit there in which case it leaves the space behind the drivers seat free for the t-bar glasses.

I have asked MR2-Ben for any installed pics of the sub box so I can see how it sits. The damned Photoshop problem has caused no end of trouble when trying to do visual research :no:

Preference number 2 would be behind the driver's seat if I could fit the glass in as well. Being able to store the glass is important to me.

Not really liking the idea of the frunk, having it that close to pumps/relays etc seems like a sure way to pick up interferance.

I suppose the least favourite location would be the boot. Running cables through the engine bay I'm not really a fan of. I know I could run them in the wing behind the filler cap but having already run wires down there I know what a PITA is it getting in there with my shovels of hands :laughing

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

My Rainbow iPaul 4.300 won't fit under a stock seat (60mm height as well), do the aftermarket ones have more clearance?

T bar glass does fit over the amp but bear in mind you'll be limiting ventilation / air flow with the glass there. Not a problem at lower volumes but something to bear in mind if you crank it. They have overheat protection anyway but personally I'd rather not push them that far. Saying that I've had no problems listening at volume where I can hear it pretty well at 70MPH with the roof off.

I think the box I have is an MR2 Ben one. Will send you a photo / dig one out.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “ICE”