Keeping it in the family

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Adrian J

Keeping it in the family

Post by Adrian J »

No-this is not a Redneck Family Planning Handbook.

Just thought I'd show a pic of my eldest daughter's MR2 Mk 3 Roadster. She doesn't have it now-but loved it for a couple of years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Adrian J

Re: Keeping it in the family

Post by Adrian J »

I suppose we are all Petrolheads. This is MR2-owning daughter's choice of wedding car:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Flay2010

Post by Flay2010 »

Ghost busters~!!!

Topic author
Adrian J

Post by Adrian J »

I knew there was something odd about my son-in-law...

This is exactly like the Caddy I used to have:

Topic author
Adrian J

Post by Adrian J »

Around the time I had the Caddy (above) I lived within sight of the Tickford Aston Martin works in Newport Pagnell. My first daughter was born and life was good.

I worked in the Marketing Department of the newly-formed Vauxhall/Opel marketing Unit and got involved with driving all kinds of (then) new cars. I drove Ford's Capri 2.8i demonstrator from Newport Pagnell down the M! to Luton on the day of the Royal Wedding. I passed just one other car in 26 miles!! I had my foot down and was doing ***miles per hour-actually flat out.

Now, I don't know if any of you have driven a Capri like this one. If you have, you'll be aware of a rather alarmimg weakness-the brakes. They simply aren't man enough for the job. I went straight on at the Luton junction...

The best drive of all, however, was when I was asked by my opposite number at BMW if I could lend him an Ascona 400. I found one and arranged to drive it over to Bracknell. When I got there he presented me with the car on return loan. This was a new concept by BMW called the M535i...

"If it rains-get out and push. It's not very good at corners"

It wasn't. With 195/70 tyres and around 235 bhp it was indeed a handful. I particularly enjoyed booting it in firrst. The propshaft made valiant efforts to knock it's way through the transmission tunnel.
Ah! Great days indeed!

Topic author
Adrian J

Post by Adrian J »

My MR2 Nikitta is now mainly being used by my youngest daughter. This is because she is now back living in the UK and needed wheels.
Also because I have some as yet undiagnosed problems with my lower spine and have found even standing near impossible.
At least I can still look after my wife.
If anyone sees a white Mk 2 in the Forest of Dean, it may be Rosie. I know someone already waves.

chris
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by chris »

Adrian J wrote:I suppose we are all Petrolheads. This is MR2-owning daughter's choice of wedding car:
ha ha...

snap (kind of)!

this was my wedding car:

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Adrian J wrote:Now, I don't know if any of you have driven a Capri like this one. If you have, you'll be aware of a rather alarmimg weakness-the brakes. They simply aren't man enough for the job. I went straight on at the Luton junction...
You mean one of these puppies?

I owned one for about 9 months. Great straight line car but cornering and braking indeed left a lot to be desired. I traded it before it killed me!

Top totty magnet though. :th:

Stay strong mate.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
Adrian J

Post by Adrian J »

On Saturday I get Nikitta back. I hope I can actually get into the driving seat and operate the clutch and gear change! It turns out I have overcome broken vertebrae and collapsed discs but both arms have ulnar nerve problems! What a wreck!
My wife is still fighting and hopes she can get to travel in the car too. It would be great to have a quiet run out in the sunshine again.
Life does take some unexpected turns...

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None

Post by TonyleFrog »

Adrian J wrote:It would be great to have a quiet run out in the sunshine again.
http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/47/164583.html - :)
It would be great to see you again but I can't guarantee any sunshine...

If you don't feel up to doing the whole distance (expected to be around 60 miles) you can always catch us somewhere along the way or do your own thing and meet us at the pub. If so, let me know so that I can ensure you have the best seats in the house.
Adrian J wrote:Life does take some unexpected turns...
Indeed it does.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
Adrian J

Post by Adrian J »

Hi Tony
Thanks for the invitation. I need to check the car over before taking a decent run and also doubt Carole could go very far. I am 24/7 carer for her and have only just got her back after three weeks in the Hospice. We take life really slowly and gently, but at least we still have time together.
Enjoy the day!
Adrian.

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by d-peg »

Ah Adrian..!

Rachel and I often think of you. We think your place is en route to my parents (past barracks, past radar tower, next to old petrol station?). We were literally talking about you this weekend. We knew of your wife's health woes but did not know of yours also :sad: .. If we can do anything, please let us know.

Dan
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
Adrian J

Post by Adrian J »

Hi Dan Dan Dan DAN DAN!
Thanks for the kind words.
We actually live close to Broadstairs railway station with no radar in sight (or on site)
I never realised how much I took for granted until my hands stopped working as well as I would wish. I rather missed tinkering with the car but hope I can start again now that I've had an operation to get the left back on track again.
I just need to remember my grip is not good. I tried to change a headlight bulb and dropped the crystal unit I had bought. And yes, it did break! Thank God for the internet.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”