A day at Wiscombe Hillclimb

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
AJSki2fly

A day at Wiscombe Hillclimb

Post by AJSki2fly »

Well we entered in the Wiscombe Hillclimb as planned last Saturday. Not a great weather day but could have been worse one down poor at about 11:30 and it rained again at about 4:00.

First practice was rather exhilarating as the road surface was very greasy from recent rain washing tree debris onto it and some mud from the field that runs down to the lower part. As a result getting power down out of corners was a challenge as was braking. I nearly came to grief on the first bend but manage to tiptoe round with 2 driver side wheels on the grass as I exited the bend. Made me nervous for the rest of that run so turned in a poor time of 67.38Neil, the other Owers managed 65.58.

Next practice things were drying out a bit and I got down to 65.03, and Neil to 64.5 We had hoped to achieve a bit better, however other drivers there we spoke to said for our first time on the hill we were doing well. Everyone was very friendly and supportive.

First proper run in the afternoon I got down to 62.67 and Neil managed 61.86. The MR2 was holding up well and we were generally please with how it was running and handling.

I noticed that on my split times I was generally about the time up the first half as Neil, but the end result was I was slower through the S bends through the wooded half and round the 2 hairpins. So my cornering and braking are letting me down.

So time for the last run with more rain clouds looming. Neil took a deep intake of breath and took 2 secs off his best time for the first half and another second on the rest, the result was a credible 58.45. Next was me waiting 3 cars behind at the start and a car crashed badly at Sawbench corner this meant at least 15 minute wait whilst it was cleared and it started spitting with rain. By the time I went the track had a nice damp and slippy quality, I decided that it was best to take things easy and returned a poor 64.91s run.

Overall in our C2 class we came 7th out of 10 with Neil's 58.45 run, and considering 7 of the 10 car were fully modified with race engines and none road going I think we did quite well.

However I think we are up against it a bit in the future and we will need to lighten the car as much as possible, improve suspension with poly bushes which we were planning, probably fit coil over shockers all round, and see if we can fit some 4 pot callipers up front, and tweak the engine for a little more power if we can. Money and when will be the limiting factor.

Any way we look forward to our next run in May at Wiscombe. :)

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Re: A day at Wiscombe Hillclimb

Post by _Al_ »

Sounds like a fun day. I didn't realise the timings were that accurate. That's really useful. Wish we had split laps on the kart track..

Got any photos?
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”