Action cam / mic placement

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Woody928
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Action cam / mic placement

Post by Woody928 »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
Woody928 wrote:I had forgotten how good the 3sge actually sounded! :shocked:

I must consider the option of one of these for my go-pro....
I've got a Sony AS30V:

Not sure how it is with the Go Pros, but with the Sony the waterproof housing does not have a hole for the mic jack, for obvious reasons. So, I bought a 2nd housing and drilled a hole in the bottom for the mic. It's still weather proof and will protect the camera from grit and grime from the road.

The 'proper' way to do it is to get a lens protector and a skeletal housing, but I prefer having the whole thing covered as much as possible while exposed to the elements and stones potentially hitting it at 60mph.
Same problem with the Go-Pro waterproof housing. I know there are several other options though. May consider something similar with a spare case and see what the results are like. It certainly sounds a lot better than just wind noise that I've previously got. Have you got a link to the mic that you've got?

I would certainly be interested to hear what my car sounds like under load on a drive by. Never quite sounds as good in the car as it does from a drive by.

What the Sony like overall? I'm curious to compare the 2.

Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

Topic author
SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

Not sure if this is the exact one I got, it's very similar though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-3-5mm-Mi ... 1795618966

You'll find it for sale everywhere under various names at different price points. I've seen that exact microphone for sale with a brand name for £19.99!

Problem is, all of these small electret based mics all have the same fundamental problem - self powered electrets have crap frequency response - that's the trade off for being small, sensitive and cheap to make.

The next step up is one of the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-electret ... 1595784368

Lots of fakes around, very hard to find a legit version these days now the official one is discontinued.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Olympus-M ... 1732545444

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 597621.htm

Again, lots of fakes around so buy carefully.

They are still electret, but they are pretty much the best you're going to get without going for something much larger. SQ from these is actually very good for an electret.

The camera itself is very good. Much better than an equivalently priced GoPro. At the time I got it for £120, which priced it at less than the cheapest GoPro, yet the Sony can do 1080p60, which put it on par with the Hero 3 Black (?) at twice the price.

The disadvantage is there isn't much of an aftermarket for accessories like there is with the GoPro.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

not sure what gopros have these days, but my sony as100v has imagine stabalization, and stereo sound, which go pro's didnt (maybe even dont have now) when i was looking.

i think the 100v was the top model when i was looking anyway.
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

jimGTS wrote:not sure what gopros have these days, but my sony as100v has imagine stabalization, and stereo sound, which go pro's didnt (maybe even dont have now) when i was looking.

i think the 100v was the top model when i was looking anyway.
Yeah, the 100v is ace. Mine has stabilisation too, but it only works at 120deg FoV, not 170 as it's digital stabilisation. Works really well though. Mine has stereo sound, it's not up to much at speed though.

IIRC, the big differences between the 100v and the 30v are the 100v has a better image processor, better optics, and is capable of recording at a much higher data rate, so less compression.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Woody928
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Woody928 »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Not sure if this is the exact one I got, it's very similar though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-3-5mm-Mi ... 1795618966

You'll find it for sale everywhere under various names at different price points. I've seen that exact microphone for sale with a brand name for £19.99!

Problem is, all of these small electret based mics all have the same fundamental problem - self powered electrets have crap frequency response - that's the trade off for being small, sensitive and cheap to make.

The next step up is one of the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-electret ... 1595784368

Lots of fakes around, very hard to find a legit version these days now the official one is discontinued.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Olympus-M ... 1732545444

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 597621.htm

Again, lots of fakes around so buy carefully.

They are still electret, but they are pretty much the best you're going to get without going for something much larger. SQ from these is actually very good for an electret.

The camera itself is very good. Much better than an equivalently priced GoPro. At the time I got it for £120, which priced it at less than the cheapest GoPro, yet the Sony can do 1080p60, which put it on par with the Hero 3 Black (?) at twice the price.

The disadvantage is there isn't much of an aftermarket for accessories like there is with the GoPro.
Cheers for the info Gaz, quite interesting. I may have to try out one of those microphones for £3 you cant go wrong.

Typical of go pro, I have to buy a 3.5mm jack adapter attachment and a new housing to allow me to use it though :ranting1: I got the go pro hero 4 silver for my 21st bday, but it sounds similar on paper to the sony, albeit it looks slightly more compact but its a lot extra to pay for sometime a bit smaller. For my primary use though that's one of the most important features.

I'll see how I get on with the mic and then potentially look to upgrade from there if I'm really using it.... :D
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

Topic author
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I've just bought an Olympus ME51S from Amazon Marketplace. It's £32, so hopefully it's legit. We'll see I guess!
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byzXpobsXX4

Another one, I like this angle!

Mic position isn't as good, this was on top of the bumper, on the flat bit. Much less wind noise in the number plate recess, but this mic is a bit heavier than the old one, and I wasn't sure if just tape would be enough to hold it. Will bring some duct tape next time :D
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Tallboy
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Tallboy »

Love that angle! You got the wheel going backwards effect to :cool1:
MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

Topic author
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I like seeing the suspension working hard! That's with coilovers, would be interesting to see the difference on a stiffer setup as well.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”