IAM Advanced Driving Course

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 16 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Mrs Blackpool

Re: IAM Advanced Driving Course

Post by Mrs Blackpool »

I have been thinking of doing the IAM advanced driving and i noticed in the thread there was the mention of a discount for OC members but I cannot find on the site how you would obtain this or the code needed to enter when ordering etc ............ can anyone help?

also when I look on the IAM website the choice would be the Skill for life for drivers, is this the right one as I cannot see any 'driving 1' as mentioned in the lead post of this thread

cheers

Liz :D

oddshoes
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by oddshoes »

I am sure there is a link somewhere it might even be on the home page or in the discount section, I done my a few years ago now and defo dont regert it so I would say do it! You do get alot out of it and somethings will stay with you for the rest of your life even if you dont use it every day as i dont drive to the standard every day I remember some most of what was benifical and even still sometimes do the running comantray to see if I can still do it.
there is alot open to you if you wish to follow on with the IAM after you have finished the driving course. Peteb from here done his IAM and followed on and as a result he is now an cheif advisor for his area iirc

Dave :D
Current - modified 265bhp PFL MR-S in Gulf Livery

Previous - Rev1 turbo, Rev3 turbo, Rev5, Rev3 V6, PFL Roadster

Topic author
davida

Post by davida »

Most interested in your post.

Would you clarify what you mean by block shifts and when you say you need to learn to change gears less when you brakee? please

sueonline
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by sueonline »

My OH is currently doing the same course and keeps me up to date on how he's doing.
Block shifts are more than just one change e.g. 4th to 2nd.
He hates finishing braking before changing down - totally contrary to the way he has always driven, especially on the track.

hygt2

Post by hygt2 »

[quote="sueonline"]Block shifts are more than just one change e.g. 4th to 2nd.[/quote]

Block shifts work in both direction. It's originated from RoadCraft and the idea is, on the road, to minimise the workload of the driver while still being safe.

When braking, you try to do most of the heavy braking with both hands on the wheel, especially if the braking force is close to ABS kicking in or if road surface grip levels or undulations are uneven left to right. Only when I I need to go back on the throttle then I select the gear I need. Hence block change down can be 5->3, 5->2, 5->1, 4->2, 4-1 or 3-1. On the road, I only use heel and toe if my brakes are fading / over-heating.

Similarly, I block change up as well. For example, if I need to slot into a gap quickly from stationary, I may accelerate quickly in 1st from 0 to 30 mph (speed limit), then slot straight to 4th I need to cruise in.

Hope this makes sense.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 16 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”