July 2013 - Silverstone Track Taster - Photo Thread

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Foxystuff

Re: July 2013 - Silverstone Track Taster - Photo Thread

Post by Foxystuff »

This looks amazing - track envy happening in my world! :D

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

vinp182 wrote:The car came on a trailer as I don't pay for fuel in the van so that saved us £20 in fuel ;)
Fair play.
vinp182 wrote:The car was actually broken after the session. It was showing error code 52 which is knock sensor fault
Oops.
vinp182 wrote:In the eyes of MSA I am a novice driver which can be confirmed by my license and my novice sticker which is displayed on my car :D
ISTR the guy doing the briefing mentioned that the session was for those who had never done a track day. Not sure how that squares with driving in the MR2 Championship!
vinp182 wrote:I'm racing on the 14th weekend ;)
vinp182 wrote:I'm def not big headed enough to try and tell someone how to drive their own car on a track day :cheeky:
It's nothing to do with anyone's ego. I would be quite happy to take on board any tips from someone who competes on track. Many moons ago I used to compete in forest stage rallies which is a completely different kettle. Those require a completely different technique from circuits. Sliding on loose surfaces looks spectacular but doesn't translate to fast lap times on tarmac!
vinp182 wrote:One more thing................ How much power has your car got again? :bleh:
310rwhp but that's at 1.2 bar. I had an issue on the first couple of laps after the pace car pulled in so was running on low (stock) boost for most of the session. I'm not sure of that figure as I don't have the dyno print out to hand atm.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

sinjen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by sinjen »

The only way to learn is to have someone faster, better or stronger, no point getting hung up on who's done what in the past. Fact of the matter is that Al was the quickest Turbo driver on track and I learned a lot from watching him.

Having tried to shake him in the last few corners I pulled over on the pit straight to let him through, not realising it was a standard rev2 turbo (assumed it was big power because of the pace) I didn't let off the throttle enough and was confused to find myself still in front at the first corner, indicators still on etc, sorry about that lads!! Lol

The boy got skillz :)
Cosmos Gen 4 3sgte - Finished...for now

Woody928
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Woody928 »

sinjen wrote:The only way to learn is to have someone faster, better or stronger, no point getting hung up on who's done what in the past. Fact of the matter is that Al was the quickest Turbo driver on track and I learned a lot from watching him.

Having tried to shake him in the last few corners I pulled over on the pit straight to let him through, not realising it was a standard rev2 turbo (assumed it was big power because of the pace) I didn't let off the throttle enough and was confused to find myself still in front at the first corner, indicators still on etc, sorry about that lads!! Lol

The boy got skillz :)
I guess that makes me the fastest NA then ;) (I'm sure Craig will disagree) :laughing

I've got to agree following or trying to follow someone experienced shows you a good line, braking points, I was always using other cars as reference points. It was only a taster day anyway no racing going on but you learn from the next best person there. Saying that I didn't know standard tubbys could spit fire! Looked awesome. :th:
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

Craig-rev3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Craig-rev3 »

Woody928 wrote:
I guess that makes me the fastest NA then ;) (I'm sure Craig will disagree) :laughing
I strongly disagree! I've got a bucket seat, harness & everything so I must have been quicker! :laughing

To be fair we were in different starting groups and never saw each other so must have been going at a similar pace :th:

I'm just happy that I got past some of the turbo boys :D

Oh and if you buy the right exhaust, an N/A can make flames just as big as a turbo. Both my previous N/A & turbo created plenty of flames.
Rev 3 N/A - RIP :(
Rev 2 Turbo - Sold :(
Rev 1 N/A - Road Legal Track Car :D
Rev 1 V6 - Co-owned side project :D

alanwheeldon
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by alanwheeldon »

Exactly it was about the experience not who was quicker than who. It's not a bad thing trying to keep up/watch a faster driver as it gives you more of an idea as to which line to take, where to brake and accelerate etc..
Although this has its downsides too as the driver your following might not have a clue what there doing and could come off if they get it wrong and your car will follow!
Your best bet is to go at your own pace until you have the confidence to try and go faster.

P.S. I have the boost turned up on my car (1.14bar) and the usual breathing mods, TRD anti roll bars, standard suspension and brakes ;-)

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

alanwheeldon wrote:Your best bet is to go at your own pace until you have the confidence to try and go faster.
^^100% this^^
alanwheeldon wrote:P.S. I have the boost turned up on my car (1.14bar) and the usual breathing mods, TRD anti roll bars, standard suspension and brakes ;-)
Ah, not quite so 'standard' then. ;)
Mine is still a 'work in progress' tbh.

Brooklands was the only corner which really tested the brakes. A really hard application produced quite noticeable judder so that needs sorting pdq. Fortunately I haven't needed to do an emergency stop on the road but you never know what might happen tomorrow or the day after...

I'm definitely going to try to get a session with an instructor next time. If the driver is the weak link it doesn't matter how much power your car has!
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

cheekyneil
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by cheekyneil »

TonyleFrog wrote:

If the driver is the weak link it doesn't matter how much power your car has!

I'm definitely in this pigeon hole :blush:
Reality continues to ruin my life!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “East Midlands”