MR2 Cotwold meet - East Midlands area - 3rd March - HELP NEEDED

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Re: MR2 Cotwold meet - East Midlands area - 3rd March - HELP NEEDED

Post by MR2Jay »

OK Guys, I have a serious problem - I can't get there on Sunday :no:

Long story short, Landlords have decided to get the driveway completely redone this week however the workmen have been decidedly dubious and slow.

The front of my house looks like this tonight

Yes, that is my MK2 at the side of the house with a sheet over it!

The MK3 is stored up that driveway out of the way meaning I can't get either car out until next weekend at the earliest. Needless to say, I am less than amused!

For that reason, I need a volunteer to guide the people coming from this region to the pub and to the final meeting point.

Can anyone step forward?

1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

ayresyboy
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 20

Post by ayresyboy »

So annoying. I say rip it all up and drive out onto the road now. Andy
1997 2GR-FE | 1998 3S-GTE

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

If there wasn't a pile of broken concrete and a 2" high concrete trimming cap in place, I would....

Trouble is that is likely to do far more damage to my cars than the driveway

pogsee

Post by pogsee »

Is it worth considering merging with West Midlands group at this point? Should be on the way for most people in this group right? Anyway I was only starting from the pub, if we were going ahead with that I can guide people from there. I do not know the area but I use gmaps/android auto, you could plan a route on google maps and share it with me.

Mike
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Mike »

Thats a shame Jay but best not to ruin the cars trying to get them out before the season starts.
Do we have anyone else joining us from Facebook or any other clubs that we need to update? if this is the case it may not be the best idea to split up in to the other groups also most of them have already organised and booked locations to eat which would mess that up. I dont know our meet area at all but jason256 said he may know a couple of roads around their if he is willing to even post them up on here we can probably string something together quickly enough and if it is only this little group we wouldn't matter to much about getting a little lost.

lewiswhitmore524
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by lewiswhitmore524 »

MR2Jay wrote: 28/02/19 18:53 OK Guys, I have a serious problem - I can't get there on Sunday :no:
I mean, if you wanted in on the social i'm sure you could be a passenger with someone else, or bring a non-MR2? I know that isn't the point but it's an option. :confused1:
'93 Zircon Blue Turbo
'90 Astral Black G-Limited NA Auto (V6 soon)

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by notroubleclubber »

Anyone going from swindon?

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

pogsee wrote: 01/03/19 11:17 Is it worth considering merging with West Midlands group at this point? Should be on the way for most people in this group right? Anyway I was only starting from the pub, if we were going ahead with that I can guide people from there. I do not know the area but I use gmaps/android auto, you could plan a route on google maps and share it with me.
Anyone is welcome to join our run but it will more than likely be an early breakfast meet with around 200/250 mile blast around Wales before the main meeting point :th:
No route has been confirmed as such, we'll see what the weather is saying on Sunday morning
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

lewiswhitmore524 wrote: 01/03/19 13:46
MR2Jay wrote: 28/02/19 18:53 OK Guys, I have a serious problem - I can't get there on Sunday :no:
I mean, if you wanted in on the social i'm sure you could be a passenger with someone else, or bring a non-MR2? I know that isn't the point but it's an option. :confused1:
Appreciate the thought mate but I have to be here kicking backside....It's not much better today to be honest and I have collared the workmen and pushed them into coming back over the weekend....
notroubleclubber wrote: 01/03/19 14:14 Anyone going from swindon?
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/63/167431 ... 6#p1772576

South west group buddy :th:

pogsee

Post by pogsee »

vinp182 wrote: 01/03/19 15:45
pogsee wrote: 01/03/19 11:17 Is it worth considering merging with West Midlands group at this point? Should be on the way for most people in this group right? Anyway I was only starting from the pub, if we were going ahead with that I can guide people from there. I do not know the area but I use gmaps/android auto, you could plan a route on google maps and share it with me.
Anyone is welcome to join our run but it will more than likely be an early breakfast meet with around 200/250 mile blast around Wales before the main meeting point :th:
No route has been confirmed as such, we'll see what the weather is saying on Sunday morning
Thanks for the offer but I don't think I'm up for that long of a drive - maybe if the weather was like earlier this week I would!

Anyway, for east mids - this 20th century form of communication for last minute arranging triggers me so much :D

Given I'm only meeting at the Evenlode I'm going to ask for someone else to take the initiative for the morning meet -> Evenlode, I'm going to say 12:00 is a good time to book for as it gives us an hour to eat and hour to drive from there to get to Barrow Wake for around 14:00. You should also go ahead and book yourself if Jay hasn't already.

From the Evenlode I'm happy to take the armband and plan a route to Barrow Wake, or again if someone else feels better placed to do it let me know now. Question for Jay (or anyone who knows the area) what roads to take, what roads to avoid?

lewiswhitmore524

pogsee wrote: 01/03/19 16:46
Thanks for the offer but I don't think I'm up for that long of a drive - maybe if the weather was like earlier this week I would!

Anyway, for east mids - this 20th century form of communication for last minute arranging triggers me so much :D

Given I'm only meeting at the Evenlode I'm going to ask for someone else to take the initiative for the morning meet -> Evenlode, I'm going to say 12:00 is a good time to book for as it gives us an hour to eat and hour to drive from there to get to Barrow Wake for around 14:00. You should also go ahead and book yourself if Jay hasn't already.

From the Evenlode I'm happy to take the armband and plan a route to Barrow Wake, or again if someone else feels better placed to do it let me know now. Question for Jay (or anyone who knows the area) what roads to take, what roads to avoid?
I'm happy to co-ordinate this from initial meet to Evenlode if you want to sort the bit afterwards out pogsee?

Judging by the sign-up list it's only going to be me plus two others on the initial leg of the journey so shouldn't be too hard to wrangle everyone. Only issue is i have no idea of the roads round there as i'll have never driven them in my life. Do you have any suggestions Jay?

Lets stick to the information listed in the OP. Tesco car park by 10am in Towcester. Off to evenlode pub for circa midday. Has anyone booked anything yet? I can book a table for 4 no issues for midday. JUST TO CONFIRM: this is the intended pub right? http://evenlode.pub/

Suggest we set up a whatsapp group incase of any last minute issues. Please PM me your numbers and i'll get a group set up today. I'll try and get a route planned but seeking guidance on that.
'93 Zircon Blue Turbo

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Thanks Lewis, really appreciate you picking up the reins mate :th:

Yes, that's the Pub I had in mind. I did call them but they said that with a small party you can just rock up.

The final meeting point is Barrow Wake. Down the A40, thats about a 44 minute drive from the Pub so you need to be away from there for about 1pm. As the pub serves a carvery, I'd suggest getting thee for about 11.30 - 11.45. My plan was to head through Towcester towards Stoney Strantford and play it by ear :th:

Really sorry I can't make it folks. Have a great day and I expect to see loads of pics :th:

lewiswhitmore524

OK

I've planned a preliminary route we can plonk into our google maps. I've tried to avoid larger roads and stick to what should, hopefully, be some nice back roads. Its a mix of A, B and minor roads. that will take approx 1hr 20mins to get to the Evenlode. Route covers 45 Miles. You can find the route below. Please flag if there are any issues. I'll put a disclaimer out there that I've only inspected this route at a glance using street-view, so no idea if it will be any good. Should be fine though. We can always change our minds tomorrow.

https://goo.gl/maps/ywSFAugdKKR2

The route i originally planned had more back roads in it but I've trimmed some of them out to cut the journey time down a bit.

Shell Stations: There is a shell garage at the meeting point in Towcester, over the road from the Tesco where we are gathering. There is another half way in Bicester, just in-case. And then finally there is another shell station 7 minutes west of the Pub which will be on our way out to Barrow Wake.

If we can aim to be in a position to be LEAVING the tesco car park at 10:00, that will put us in plenty of time for grub and the onward journey to the final meet point. I'll be getting to Towcester for around 0930 and will try and find somewhere prominent to park.

Please PM me with your mobile number so we can start a whatsapp group to ease communication. Anyone else who appears at the meeting point we can exchange numbers then.

@pogsee - will aim to be at the pub for 11:30 - midday ish so will meet you there.

See you all tomorrow :D
'93 Zircon Blue Turbo

Mike
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Mike »

I have messaged TFL after finding out that their meet point is closer to me and due to them having a person drop out I am going to do the run with them hope you guys have a good run and hopefully see you all at barrow wake.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “East Midlands”