Mk2 MR2 Rear Tyres - Toyos Again!

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Mk2 MR2 Rear Tyres - Toyos Again!

Post by d-peg »

Good news all,

Toyo T1-R's are available again in 225/50/15 - get them while they last. Camskill offering them at £70 a corner delivered though I saw them on mytyres as well. It's that or Pirelli's at £200 each or Nankang's.

92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Tallboy
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 5

Re: Mk2 MR2 Rear Tyres - Toyos Again!

Post by Tallboy »

Woops woops!!!
MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

stiletto72

Post by stiletto72 »

Hi,
I have just replaced the rear tyres on my 1992 Rev2 n/a car which is running a standard set-up with new Toyo T1-R's and am disappointed in the handling. Basically, the car feels twitchy under hard acceleration and on cambered roads. You are constantly correcting on the steering, and there are no issues with any other suspension/steering components as it has been well maintained. So, to be sure I have also had a full 4 wheel alignment by a trusted local garage in case there happened to be a slight tracking problem, etc. No difference, and yes I have got the directional rotation right!
Can anyone give experience on this type of problem. My tyre supplier suggests the only option is a cheaper, budget tyre in 225/50/15 but I chose the Toyo from previous good experience on another car.

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by notroubleclubber »

People slate the t1rs but i got a set of 16s on the back of my turbo and they have been fine even on track.
It seems to be hit and miss.

Yes, there are better tyres out there but they are more expensive. My opinion is ,for the money, they are a good tyre

.......get ready for the haters.......

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

I have them on my stock Rev 4 G-ltd. No twitchiness or constant correction needed.

My guess is your problem may lie elsewhere.
e.g. worn top mounts, dampers, track rods, bushes, rear subframe bolt loose,* etc.

* captive nut weld failure.

You say there are no issues with any other suspension/steering components. Are you 100% certain?
However many alignments are done they are static checks: they won't cure such issues.

That said, Toyo T1-Rs have a softer sidewall compared with a number of other brands.
What tyre pressures are you using?
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

stiletto72

Post by stiletto72 »

Hi
Thanks for these really helpful replies. I have tried everything I can think of, including increasing pressures to 40psi and no (obvious) play in anything (recent MOT pass). Parts replaced over last 4yrs include Koni damper inserts (all round), drop links (all round) lower ball joints, etc and certainly no clonks, reason to feel anything wrong when the old tyres on car. It was previously a nice, balanced car on fast B roads and a joy to drive, as long as you didn't expect too much from a pretty standard, compliant suspension set up. The rear konis make it quite stiff, but I get used to this! I have wondered about the location bushes on the rear suspension, but not wanting to waste lots of unnecessary expense, or a harsh ride with poly bush replacements? What to you think. Do I have to reluctantly try some cheap Nankyangs???
Thanks
Nigel

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

I've never rated them personally. They were a very good budget performance option when they were brand new 10+ years ago, but there are many better options for similar money now. Unless you want a 225/50R15 of course.... But with the lack of any better options without spending more money than a nice set of used Enkei RP01's would run you, I'll take them on stock wheels!

Bring back the A022 please Yokohama!
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

They are okay, had a set on the stock 15inch rims. Found they had a bit of unnerving "Squirm" when pushed hard into corners but they did not let go. Fine for road use but wouldn't use them on the track. Toyo R888's on the other hand is a night & day comparison. The difference is all in the compound and the sidewall construction. The T1R's do not have a stiff sidewall. Will get a little better as they loose some tread depth.

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

I have them on 17" rims and love them in the dry :D
However I lost the back end rather dramatically on a KR (spirited drive)
and recently only a slight wobble in the wet but I will be changing the rears before the winter ;)
I spoke to Woody about tyres yesterday and he rates Michelin Pilot sports, I know TLF likes the Goodyear but I was really impressed with the Uniroyal Rainsport's on my sons Clio Cup Track Car when I was forced to use it last winter they were super sticky in the dry and didn't want to let go in the wet or snow/ice .
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8

Post by notroubleclubber »

I read the rainsports was a good shout.
Didnt read any negative thoughts on them.
That would be my next choice as they are about the same price as the t1rs

RICHIE BOY

Post by RICHIE BOY »

I have Toyos on stock rims on my MK2 rev 3, had them on a while and got used to them now but I put them on when I couldn’t get Pirelli’s and I noticed the twitching etc you mention. I reduced the psi slightly which helped and I’m used to them now but definitely concur with what you say

Woody928
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Woody928 »

I don't rate them either anymore sadly albeit it's not like there's much other choice...

I've gone from 17's with Pilot sports back to 15's with the toyo's due to convenience/saving money at the moment (I had a set spare) and the difference has been night and day. I no longer have the confidence to push the car like I used to and in the dry have felt the rear squatting and squirming in places it never used to. It doesn't feel like the same car!

If you can justify it and want better performance I'd suggest looking at some decent 17's with much better rubber.
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

stiletto72

Post by stiletto72 »

Thanks again for other people's experiences! Squirming, describes my problem for sure and since it has only happened on the new Toyos I fitted, then it has to be the tyres.
It feels as though it would snap to sudden oversteer on the limit, and no I don't drive it like a hooligan but just enjoy the lovely balance of mid-engine handling. Really disappointing as I've also re-furbished (blasted, powder coating) the standard 15" wheels which I'm happy to keep. Seems I ought to have changed to 17" with hindsight and proper rubber choice!
I've done 600 miles on them so far, and no improvement, but I will try adjusting pressures but I suspect I'll never be happy with the darned things!!
Nigel

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

MRHAPPY62 wrote: 06/08/18 18:27 I spoke to Woody about tyres yesterday and he rates Michelin Pilot sports, I know TLF likes the Goodyear but I was really impressed with the Uniroyal Rainsport's on my sons Clio Cup Track Car when I was forced to use it last winter they were super sticky in the dry and didn't want to let go in the wet or snow/ice .
I do indeed, but fat chance of getting any Eagle F1s to fit the stock rims. Ditto Michelin Pilot Sports.
notroubleclubber wrote: 07/08/18 7:47 I read the rainsports was a good shout.
The problem is you can get the Uniroyal Rainsport 3s for the front to fit the stock rims but they don't do a 225/50/15 for the back. The choice of rubber for the latter is severely restricted. You're stuck unless you are prepared to compromise on tyre width* and/or profile.

* https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/ty ... dvice.html

With a profile change you need to check the rolling radius to find out the speedo error. It is illegal for it to under read.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”