Wheel fitment assistance

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
SamBenbow

Wheel fitment assistance

Post by SamBenbow »

Hi all, I've busted a wheel on my rev4 so I'm taking the opportunity to start the modification process on my fully stock mr2! I'm not only new to mr2's, but am also new to aftermarket wheels (Aftermarket anything tbh :laughing ) so I'd like to borrow some of your experience on this in and attempt to eliminated, or maybe reduce, the trial and error period.
I've looked on demon tweaks for wheels, tyres and lowering springs (can't afford coilovers yet!). I've got a set of staggered rota torque alloys 17×8 rear ,17×7.5 front et35 offset, Toyo t1-r tyres 215 front 225 rear with a 45 aspect and a set of tein 37-38mm lowering springs. Totalling as near as makes no difference £1000. :bye: if that seems a bit pricey please tell me, and if you think I'll have any fitment issues then please give me any advice on remedying the situation. Cheers all :D

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Wheel fitment assistance

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Price seems about right all in, Rotas are nice wheels and I like the t1r's (a lot dont) I think your tyre sizes are a bit out but stand to be corrected, I think you need 20mm difference front to back so 205 -225 or 215-235 etc personally i have 205-235 .Remember if you fit new springs you will need 4 wheel alignment so add that to the cost .
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by angpozzuto »

the 45 profile tyres can cause clearance issues, 40 profile would be a better choice. also have a look in the classifieds section on imoc theres always a good selection of second hand wheels for sale
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

Topic author
SamBenbow

Post by SamBenbow »

Thanks guys, I'll have a look now! Cheers

Topic author
SamBenbow

Post by SamBenbow »

I think ive sorted the tyre situation. The toyo r1r wouldn't go down to the 40 profile in the 205's (I've gone a bit narrower as they should still fit safely and are easier to get hold of) so I've gone to the falken ze914 tyres 205 front 215 rear. (I think that 10mm difference is pretty close considering that the wheel width is only gonna be about 12.7mm difference. I maybe wrong). Not sure what these tyres are like for wear and performance but seem to have good reviews!

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

SamBenbow wrote: 01/11/17 23:32 I think ive sorted the tyre situation.
Partly. :)

Going down to 40 profile was necessary to prevent arch rubbing and essential if you intend to fit lowering springs (see below). However your tyre widths are the absolute minimum recommended for your wheel widths. It would be better to have picked the ideal ones which give you more stagger.

Wheel/tyre combination
7.5/215
8.0/235
See chart - https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/ty ... dvice.html

I would also recommend not fitting those Tein springs especially if you still have the original stock Toyota dampers. At 20+ years old they'll be tired and you'll be hitting the bump stops regularly on c**p UK road surfaces. That will knacker them completely in pretty short order.

Even if you have brand new stock dampers it's still not a great idea. Many people forget (or simply don't understand) the inter-relationships involved in a suspension system. Disturb one parameter and you have to start thinking about the rest. Damper bump/rebound (which is controlled by the internal valving), spring length, spring rate, etc.

Aftermarket retailers don't really care whether you are spending your money wisely. Just that you spend it.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
SamBenbow

Post by SamBenbow »

So what do you think I should do? Hold off and buy coilovers later? I was concerned about the look of it on bigger wheels and standard ride height, thought it might end up looking a bit daft? Maybe wrong though

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by angpozzuto »

SamBenbow wrote: 02/11/17 12:56 So what do you think I should do? Hold off and buy coilovers later? I was concerned about the look of it on bigger wheels and standard ride height, thought it might end up looking a bit daft? Maybe wrong though
You're better off doing the job properly the first time as your cars suspension is probably still original and could really benefit from a complete overhaul and proper geometry setup
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

Topic author
SamBenbow

Post by SamBenbow »

Ok then we'll in that case does anyone know where I can get cheap coilovers? Because going out and dropping 800ish quid on coils wasn't part of my budget!

MRHAPPY62

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Personally if I was on a tight budget I would sort the wheels and tyres and see how the car performs before splashing out on suspension .
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.

Topic author
SamBenbow

Post by SamBenbow »

Yeh i think that probably a good idea. Id rather have the car look a little weird for a while until I can afford the nicer stuff!

MRHAPPY62

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

If you want to stay standard someone in the south west has rev4 wheels and tyres free to a good home , could be a cheap option , look in the classifieds, unless you live in scotland or a million miles from Devon/Cornwall, maybe worth the travel costs.
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Is your car primarily.

1) Your daily driver?
2) Weekend fun toy?
3) Are you intending to do track days in it?

If it's 1) what annual mileage are we talking about?

For a daily driver I would think twice about fitting coilovers.
Especially given the diabolical state of maintenance on so many UK roads.
SamBenbow wrote: 02/11/17 19:44 Ok then we'll in that case does anyone know where I can get cheap coilovers? Because going out and dropping 800ish quid on coils wasn't part of my budget!
I'm not sure what you mean by 'cheap coilovers'.
Even if you could find some I wouldn't even entertain the idea.
£800 will get you a set of brand new BCs or HSDs: both good for the price.
I have BCs on T2 but then it's not my day-to-day car.

By far the best for a 'daily' road car imo are KSW Variant 3s.
They have separate adjustable compression and rebound.
The downside is they cost twice as much.
https://www.fensport.co.uk/products/sw2 ... -inox-coil

Wheels and tyres won't make much difference tbh if your suspension is 'tired'.
By suspension I mean the whole thing: dampers/springs/droplinks/bushes.
If/when you come to upgrade decide on your priorities before spending any money.
Choosing the wrong path and regretting it later will cost you ££.

What part of the country are you in?
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
SamBenbow

Post by SamBenbow »

I'm happy to say it's my daily! I do about 200 miles a week. Well I definately can't afford full suspension work atm, let alone spending 1500 on the best coilovers. I don't make much money and am not expecting to have a perfect car with my limited funds, I'm just trying to find a way where I can't get the car looking and driving how I like, without digging myself a financial hole. I live out in the sticks of Pembrokeshire south west Wales where, to be honest, the roads are fairly well looked after! So all in all, the wheels and tyres are an essential purchase at the moment. The rest can hopefully wait!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”