Locking wheel nuts..

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Locking wheel nuts..

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

So i just had to get a new set of rear tyres fitted and while the rears were off I got all the wheel nuts replaced with nice anodised blue forged ones.

The garage didn't bother putting on the locking wheel nuts which I though a bit strange but then if they were on they would spoil the look.

When I bought these locking wheel nuts, (3 years ago) the outle was surprised as they said nobody ever bothers with them anymore due to how good alarms are these days. Is this really the case in general?

When I was fitting aftermarket alloys and tyres it was standard procedure to ask if locking wheel nuts were required but that was 15 years ago I suppose.

So, are they really a thing of the past due to the improvements in alarms or is this just more self opinonated pish?

Well those are my principles, and if you don't like them... I have others.

A child of 5 could understand this! Quick, send for a child of 5!

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: Locking wheel nuts..

Post by angpozzuto »

I've never used locking nuts even with my work meister wheels. I think the days of nicking wheels and leaving cars on bricks are long gone. Thieves are busy breaking into vans and nicking tools
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

The impact sensors on cars work pretty well. I used to worry about my whole car as when I first bought it it had a wrecked ignition switch where someone had tried to steal it.

These days with 15inch wheels on and the rapidly declining numbers of MR2's to put staggered wheels on I don't worry about it one bit.

Probably still pays to minimize the risks, mine has lived in a garage all its life so would hate to try and street park it if you had a set of expensive wheels and tyres, which over here could be worth as much as the car.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

not had locking since moved to tuner nuts, agree not heard of many wheels nicked for years.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

Wheels are not stolen on an opportunistic basis, and people who go out to steal wheels will be fully tooled up to remove most types of locking wheel nuts. You'd be surprised at how easy most of them are to remove.

I've had locking wheel nuts in the past, and all they've been good for is getting the local tyre shop some extra business when I inevitably lose the key for them.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

I’ve only got locking wheel nuts on my van but only because the wheels cost more than any MR2 I’ve ever bought :laughing
Cars suck donkey balls

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”