New member, need wheel size advice!

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Mr George

New member, need wheel size advice!

Post by Mr George »

Hi everyone, just collected my first MR2 yesterday, so thought I’d join to get the right advice to take care of this incredible car. It is a 1992 revision 1 model and came with aftermarket 17 inch rims which are not my cup of tea, so would like to change to either the OEM 14 inch wheels ( I got these with the car too) or a set of OEM 15 inch wheels or preferably 16 inch wheels (if such wheels were ever available from Toyota!)
And would the 15 (or 16) inch rims fit without any modification?
Hope this isn’t a stupid question! I did try to search previous posts but didn’t find an answer. Thanks!

MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Re: New member, need wheel size advice!

Post by MR2Jay »

The 15" will fit fine, the 14" might struggle as although your car is a Revision 1 which came with a smaller brake setup and 14" wheels as standard, someone may have opted for the larger brake setup at some point which is a direct bolt on upgrade.

AFAIK, Toyota never produced a 16" standard wheel for these.

One thing to bear in mind though is that tyre choice is VERY limited for the 15" wheel. It is one reason a lot of people head for the 17" (and to a lesser extent 16") setup. Far more choice of tyres :th:
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

hi and welcome
know your 2 is your friend here
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.htm ... bartid=261

One thing to bear in mind though is that tyre choice is VERY limited for the 15" wheel. It is one reason a lot of people head for the 17" (and to a lesser extent 16") setup. Far more choice of tyres
agree with Jay here
16" right profile tyres are going the way of the 14" and 15"s in getting much less choice (if any) for good tyres.

site that helps us in deciding what size whhel / tyre combo with article in KY2
https://91mr2.com/wheel-and-tire-calculator/

includes table for min/max tyre widths on wheel rim widths. helpful if changing from one to another
https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/ty ... dvice.html
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
Mr George

Post by Mr George »

THANKS guys - that is brilliant information, stopped me from making a potential expensive mistake! I'll check with previous owner re the brake sizes as he did replace them himself. Much appreciated - what a fantastic introduction to using a forum for one of my cars for the first time.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Don't even waste your time putting rubber on the 14inch rims, in fact take them in for scrap aluminium and put the money towarsds a set of factory 15inch rims. Did you also get the wheel nuts for the 14inch rims ? keep the nuts as you need them on the stock 15inch rims.

15inch tyres are still available. It depends on how often you use the car as to what you can fit. I hardly drive it so I use race rubber and they still last 4 or 5 years.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

MR2DI4 wrote: 28/08/18 5:31 15inch tyres are still available. It depends on how often you use the car as to what you can fit. I hardly drive it so I use race rubber and they still last 4 or 5 years.
In the UK and Europe there is very little choice of 225/50R15's for the rear, and stock levels are limited. You have the Toyo T1R that Toyo themselves said is made on a very limited production run due to low demand, and as such is often out of stock for weeks or months. An old Pirelli PZero design at ~£220 per tyre + fitting, and a Nankang budget tyre. There's also the Kumho V70A and Toyo R888R, both of which are not really appropriate for an all round tyre in the UK climate due to poor wet weather performance.

Moving to 16inch ot 17inch is the right choice.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
Mr George

Post by Mr George »

Thanks for last 2 replies - given there is some availability for 15s from Toyo, I think I'll go that route for now. I'm not going to be flinging it round corners at 70mph at my stage in the game and any Toyos I have had in the past have been pretty good. And, main reason I'm trying to stick with OEM - call me old fashioned- is I want the car to be as close as it can be to when it came out of the factory!

Great advice,though, from everyone - I really appreciate the time you all took to reply.Thanks again.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”