W speed rated rear tyres

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
benjamino

W speed rated rear tyres

Post by benjamino »

I've just bought a 2004 MR2 and it needs new tyres. I see in the manual it says the rears should be W speed rated. This seems a bit excessive and seriously reduces the selection available - particularly if you want to find a matching brand and model for the front which seems to be recommended.

So I think there are two options:

- Use V rated for the front and rears (a few options to choose from that have the front and rear specific sizes in the same model).
- Or use mis-matched brands/models for the front and the rear.

Unless anyone knows of a tyre that is available in the 15" + 16" sizes with W rating on the 16"?

Thanks!
Ben

Topic author
benjamino

Re: W speed rated rear tyres

Post by benjamino »

Found this tread covering the same topic if anyone else is interested. https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=58307.25

Contacting insurance to confirm they are happy with V rated instead of W is a good shout - mine were happy about it. So that gives you much more choice. I'm going for the Uniroyal Rainsport 3.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”