Confused with tyre sizes

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
APDevelopments

Confused with tyre sizes

Post by APDevelopments »

Hi guys.
I’m keeping my original 15” alloys on my V6 mr2. I think they look great and keeping in with the classic look of my mr2.
Plus the ride is good from the tyres.
Don’t want to rice it up if you know what I mean.
Anyways. Me tyres are just Cr ap! Slip and slide in the rain. Odd tyres. Not good.
Time for a new set of 4 good year efficient grip A rated tyres.
But I’m confused with the sizes.
At the moment I’ve got 225/50/15 on the rear and 195/50/15 on the front.
Is this the correct factory fitment sizes?
Many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FirstMidship
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Confused with tyre sizes

Post by FirstMidship »

Standard for an MR2 I believe was 225/50/15 rear and 195/55/15 front.

I ended up getting Toyo Proxes TR1s all round, in 225/50/15 rear and 195/50/15 front and they seem okay so far.
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 5 NA (1999)

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Standard tyre size as above.

Ran a couple of sets of T1R in that size but had to move to the Toyo R888's once I increased the power.

There is no comparison between the T1R and the R888's. I use them on the road wet or dry with 38psi rear and 34psi front. No problems with grip in the wet, you just cannot drive like an idiot.

oVerboost.

Post by oVerboost. »

If you want decent tyres get some Rainsport 3's. They're not that expensive either really and are amazing in the rain, and decent enough in the dry too without going up to much more costly tyres (Pilot Sports etc).

Toyo's are crap in the wet unless it's the more expensive semi-track tyres T1R or even better the R888 so don't get the ones often sold at tyre shops and on eBay etc (they even have something like an E wet rating, where as the Rainsports have an A for comparison).

I run Yoko AD08R's and they're awesome in all conditions, and aren't too bad price wise in 15" sizes, a lot less than my 17" cost :crybaby:

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

FirstMidship wrote: 05/12/18 20:05 Standard for an MR2 I believe was 225/50/15 rear and 195/55/15 front.
Correct
FirstMidship wrote: 05/12/18 20:05 I ended up getting Toyo Proxes TR1s all round, in 225/50/15 rear and 195/50/15 front and they seem okay so far.
205/50/15 is also a common switch for the front.
oVerboost. wrote: 15/12/18 17:30 If you want decent tyres get some Rainsport 3's.
They don't come in the 225/50/15 so that's not relevant :no:

Tyre choice on MR2s is dictated by the rears. From what I can find, there are only three "normal" options left our there for the 15s:
Nankang £50ish - aka "Ditchfinders", budget tyre with a very poor reputation
Toyo T1Rs £70-90ish - a midrange tyre once the darling of the modified scene, not a tyre I'm a big fan of. There seems to be a more recent version out there with a "B" wet rating.
Pirelli PZero £210ish - a premium tyre with the best wet weather rating but not one I have experience with

Price estimates excluding fitting. See:
https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop ... +for+tyres
https://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s295p0/ ... _225_50R15

You can see why people recommend the T1Rs. R888s are a different kettle of fish - awesome trackday tyres (I know, I've run them) but come with only 5mm tread (normal is 8mm) and at double the price of the T1Rs, that quadruples your costs. It's also a pretty noisy tyre. I personally wouldn't run them on a year-round daily driver, just a track or high performance road car. Using them on a stock NA is very expensive overkill.

You can see why people switch to 16" and particularly 17" wheels, just to get a better tyre selection!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”