Rear and front tyre wear

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Aerotus

Rear and front tyre wear

Post by Aerotus »

Hi everyone

People say that for spirited driving, one should get the same brand of tyres all round. Let's say I do this and then the rear tyres inevitably wear out faster than the fronts. I can't switch the rears with fronts as they are different sizes, so at what point do you notice handling deteriorate and how have you dealt with it? Do you change rear tyres say twice as often as the fronts?

Also? Let's say you have driven 5,000 miles and then puncture one tyre. Would you replace that one tyre or also do the other corresponding tyre to get the best balance? Or am I being too sensitive about this? Views? Thanks.

Aero

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Rear and front tyre wear

Post by peteV6R5 »

try and keep same brand all round.
rear tyres should be wider so no you cant put fronts on rears.
even if you get there 5/6 years is max life for tyres as they get UV from sun.
got a set of falkens that were on my winter wheels, only 25% worn but 6 years old, so unstable and way to easy to spin up.
5000 miles lol, falkens rears are shot at that on my V6, hankooks have done much better 8500 miles.
and if the one was fubar would replace both.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Rears wear out first. Probably at a rate of 3 sets of rears to 2 sets of fronts. I always run the same tyres all round which is very limiting with the stock 15inch rims.

Move to performance tyres and not only can you not switch fronts to rears you cannot even switch sides of the car as they are both directional and asymmetric.

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gavsdavs »

At worst, try not to mix tyres across an axle. Different wear across an axle is undesirable, but so long as you're not running on bald and one new you should be okay.

I would always make sure you have tread on the fronts more than the rears. (because not being able to steer or displace water is scarier than frequent wheelspin)

izz

Post by izz »

Hi there, looking at buying a MK3 with 33k miles on it but it's had two MOT failures due to wear on both front tyres. Apart from tracking would there be any reason for this ? Accident ?

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Is the 33k correct ? if so 4 wheel alignment would be a good idea .
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

izz

Post by izz »

MRHAPPY62 wrote: 09/06/19 17:32 Is the 33k correct ? if so 4 wheel alignment would be a good idea .

Thank you for your reply @mrhappy62, the mileage was correct but the car had spent much of it's life sitting on a drive and when it was taken out, was run into a succession of lampposts, signs, possibly other vehicles and objects more robust than itself, in short, it wasn't worth buying in the end. :sad:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”