Japan Racing (JR23) sizing help

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
White rev5

Japan Racing (JR23) sizing help

Post by White rev5 »

Hi

So here goes my first post ever...on any social media!

Here are some pics of some of the best looking black T bars I have ever come across online:

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/20 ... r2-gt-rev4

http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/98356 ... -Texas-USA

I know diddly squat about suspension, rolling arches but know what look I want which is a staggered, aggressive look with a nice and noticeable lip on the rear like the ones in the pics. What I don’t want are alloys poking out, a stretched tyre euro look, or problems with wheel arches rubbing/scraping that can’t be sorted with a bit of wheel arch adjustment.

At the moment the car is on standard suspension as I thought I better sort my wheels out first. I’ve gone onto fitment industries and trawled thought forums and people seem to be putting on 18s all round without too much problems. I have searched high and low and know that I can’t afford any BBS LMs or top end wheels so narrowed it down to JR23s or XXR 521s.

I would really appreciate some advice on:

1. What are your thoughts on whether I should get the JR23s vs XXR 521s. Is one brand much better quality than the other?

2. Nowhere in Europe (Driftworks, LK, wheelbase, tarmac etc) has these either wheels in silver in stock, nor can they get them so I’m going to have to buy them in grey. How feasible is it to have the alloys refurbished to super shiny silver?

3. Which set up should I go for from the options below? Please advise on the beest ET to get it completely flush

JR23s
Option 1: Front: 17x8 (et?), Rear: 18x8.5 (et?)
Option2: Front: 18x8 (et?), Rear: 18x8.5 (et?)
Option 3: Front: 18x8 (et?), Rear: 18x9 (et?)
Option 4: Front 18x8.5 (et?), Rear: 18x9.5 (et?)

Thanks
Sy :)

Synz
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Japan Racing (JR23) sizing help

Post by Synz »

1. Both brands are fairly well known and decent, I highly don't you’ll have any issue with either so pick whichever you like the look of more.

2. Any professional Powder coating company will be able to refurb them. I use a company called Colour Magic in Castleford, West Yorkshire and they have been brilliant.

3. Here is where you run into ‘issues’.
To stance a car there is a fair bit to take into consideration, all the pictures in the above link are on coilovers, all different brands have different clearance perimeters.

You need to take into account:
•Coilovers
•Preload
•Travel
•Wheel ET
•Arch roll
•Camber
•Tyre Sizes
•Hub Spacers
•Disc & Caliper Size

I’m not aware of a perfect combination as everyone runs slightly different set ups for their needs.

Personally I run
Speed Star Racing Integral A2s
17”
8J
35ET
Front: 215/40/17
Rear: 235/40/17
Standard struts with 40mm drop front and 30mm drop rear
Front 5mm Hubcentric spacers
Rear 15mm Hubcentric spacers

My cars at YVS at present so only have a few pictures:
4FBEF69C-2AF1-4BB8-8FA3-EA11F3E156C0.jpeg
413AD62F-8899-4AF7-98BD-EFD7DFB8522D.jpeg
FCA61C79-C77A-4158-B5D7-BBFE2BDAC9CF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- MR2 Rev5 2.0 GTi TBar 2008 - 2011
- MR2 Rev5 Turbo GTS TBar 2020 - Present
- MR2 Rev3 Turbo GTS Donor car (RIP)
www.instagram.com/fuel_toyota
My Project thread

Topic author
White rev5

Post by White rev5 »

thanks.

On my previous MR2 i was running some dare F5 17x7.5&8.5 (both ET 35) and it was nice and flush. It was lowered on springs. I just felt the rear wheel could have looked better had they been larger and a tad more outwards, hence why 18s is an option. Also, with the style of rim I'm going for sourcing 17s is problematic

How can you tell those cars in the pics are on coilovers? I don't plan to use those, just some straight forward springs!

From you list I think the only think I am considering is arch work and ET, I will get some low profile tyres but live in Sheffield where roads are pretty unforgiving! I have no idea about camber etc but got a helpful chap at driftworks who is trying to source me the wheels once I decide what I want/need.

•Wheel ET
•Arch roll
•Camber
•Tyre Sizes
•Hub Spacers
•Disc & Caliper Size

Synz
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Synz »

I know because the distance between the centre of the hub and the bottom of the suspension cup can’t be adjusted on standard struts.

For example I run 215/40/17 on the front, if I was to put 215/45/17 they would rub on the underside of the suspension cup so I’m already maxing the wheel fitment for my setup.

This picture is with old tyres on with less tread but should give you and idea mate
2F73EE18-E167-4818-B942-974BA3E5350E.jpeg
Also bare in mind rubber expands under load so it’s good to have a least a few centimetres of space.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- MR2 Rev5 2.0 GTi TBar 2008 - 2011
- MR2 Rev5 Turbo GTS TBar 2020 - Present
- MR2 Rev3 Turbo GTS Donor car (RIP)
www.instagram.com/fuel_toyota
My Project thread

Topic author
White rev5

Post by White rev5 »

good point. I intend to stay between 35&40 for tyres so hopefully shouldn't be a problem!?!?!

I think I'm leaning towards Option 1: Front: 17x8 (et35), Rear: 18x8.5 (et?).

The problem is that when you don't know enough about fitment and all wheels are made to order it is a risk!

Topic author
White rev5

Post by White rev5 »

Hi.

So despite coronavirus setting me back a few weeks my project is finally progressing, I ordered 2x fronts 17x8 and they poke out a bit!!!! I've been told this is because the car is jacked up and once some weight is on the axle the wheel should tuck in....the theory makes sense me.

Anyway, I only ordered wheels for the front so that I can properly measure up for the rear before ordering. My question is...how do I do that?

What is lacking on the internet is a reliable wheel set up for the rears on 18s. Can someone advise on whether I should be going 18x8.5 or 18x9.5 on the rear, and if so what ET with each?

I'm thinking 18x8.5 (ET30). Will that give me a nice staggered look?

I plan to lower the car on springs at some point in the future.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

White rev5 wrote: 15/07/21 20:48 Hi.

So despite coronavirus setting me back a few weeks my project is finally progressing, I ordered 2x fronts 17x8 and they poke out a bit!!!! I've been told this is because the car is jacked up and once some weight is on the axle the wheel should tuck in....the theory makes sense me.

Anyway, I only ordered wheels for the front so that I can properly measure up for the rear before ordering. My question is...how do I do that?

What is lacking on the internet is a reliable wheel set up for the rears on 18s. Can someone advise on whether I should be going 18x8.5 or 18x9.5 on the rear, and if so what ET with each?

I'm thinking 18x8.5 (ET30). Will that give me a nice staggered look?

I plan to lower the car on springs at some point in the future.
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/59/168820.html
answered similar question here with 2 links
1 to best tyre width to wheel width and a mr2 wheel calculator

7.5 (ET35-40) is the best fit for standard front end thats why your 8s stick out.
8.5 / 9 (et32-35) are pretty much best for rears
check the calculator for yourself foe impact of different wheels , widths and offsets
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
White rev5

Post by White rev5 »

So I have my wheels 17x8 (ET35) and 18x18.5 (ET30).

If I go with 215/40/17 in the front, what should I go with on the back 245/35/18 or 255/35/18? Which will give a more natural tire look? i.e. not stretched or protruding

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

255mm is the maximum recommended fitment on an 8.5J rim, 245 would be better.
https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/ty ... dvice.html

Furthermore the wider the tyre width with any given profile the greater the rolling radius and the resulting speedometer error. Compare with the OEM figures (225/50/15) here - http://www.wheelcalc.com/

Also, the lower number rear ET means a bigger potential for an arch clearance issue.
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your2/mk2/ ... tyres.html
You're also running a 1" larger wheel size which doesn't help.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”