Nur on an NA?

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
cj

Nur on an NA?

Post by cj »

Hello folks

I am new to the forum and new to an mr2. In fact, I am so new I don't pick it up until tomorrow! :D

I live in Merthyr and was wondering if anyone reasonably local had a Nur spec exhaust on an NA that I could listen to?

I was also wondering if there are any meets held in south Wales for an old codger (I am 54) like me to attend to learn more about the car.

Topic author
dspec

Nur on an NA?

Post by dspec »

+1 on the meets, doesn't seem to be any :(

And I can't help you on the exhaust front I'm running with a mongoose at the mo! Enjoy the car they are amazing :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Gaz!

Re: Nur on an NA?

Post by Gaz! »

If your ever around Southhampton a mate of mine, Mini Marshal has one.

topgun
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by topgun »

Gaz! wrote:If your ever around Southhampton a mate of mine, Mini Marshal has one.
sounds the dogs aswell :th:

Topic author
Trouble

Post by Trouble »

Sorry to wee on your party but they dont do an nur spec for the N/a s only the turbos ...!! There was a thread on here once about some one making a copy nur specs for the N/a s but i think that died a death too ... !You could buy a nur spec and have it custom made to fit your n/a ..But you will loose performance due to loss of back pressure ...

Topic author
matt1981

Post by matt1981 »

hi ya mate

Im not local to you but i have a blitz on my 1993 gen 2 N/A ( you need a 320mm long decat or new cat, to fit the nur spec to the gen 2 n/a - or 420mm decat / new cat for gen 3 na. mine currently has no bung and it sounds very loud.

ill sort a sound clip out tomorrow for you,iv not done one yet so its a job to do.welcome to the club. :th:
matts 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Olly

Post by Olly »

Be careful not to make your car sound faster than it is. Nur spec on a non turbo crosses that line in my opinion.

Topic author
Kitsan

Post by Kitsan »

ian used to have one on his, used to pop and flame all over the SW meets. However it was VERY loud and made everyone not want to be behind him...

food for thought.

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

Trouble wrote:But you will loose performance due to loss of back pressure ...
What a load of @#*t....
The more free flowing an exhaust is, the faster that exhaust gasses will travel which in turn improves performance whether on an N/A or Turbo!
Emissions and noise on the other hand are a completely different ball game.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

Topic author
cj

Nur on an NA?

Post by cj »

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm led to believe that a small amount of fettling by a competent welder could sort it out but (and it's a big but) almost everyone is telling me the noise will definitely be OTT.

How about a blue flame exhaust? Anyone had any experience with them?

kayjay0_7
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by kayjay0_7 »

cj wrote:Thanks for the replies folks. I'm led to believe that a small amount of fettling by a competent welder could sort it out but (and it's a big but) almost everyone is telling me the noise will definitely be OTT.

How about a blue flame exhaust? Anyone had any experience with them?
As said on your other post, no modification is required to fit a nurspec to an n/a :rolleyes:

All you will need is a shorter FE decat pipe or cat

http://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/view/ ... -1989-1999

And a youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhK5c1xTu8E

Topic author
Gaz!

Post by Gaz! »

Protok wrote:
What a load of @#*t....
The more free flowing an exhaust is, the faster that exhaust gasses will travel which in turn improves performance whether on an N/A or Turbo!
That is true for a turbo bu for an N/A,fitting an exhaust with an oversized bore, you decrease the exhaust velocity, thus decreasing the scavenging effect. N/A exhausts require matching to the engine.

It depends what you want? If you want a car that is mega loud and bugs everyone on meets so you have to drive at the back go for a Nur or a Japspeed.

If you want a little less noise that is managable, Blue flame or mongoose.

Topic author
Olly

Post by Olly »

Protok wrote:
What a load of @#*t....

Not completely true dude. Non turbo engines require back box pressure where as turbos need free flowing. A Nur spec on an na wont necessarily be a bad thing, but it definitely wont add any power.

Edit - beaten to it!

Topic author
MGMgrand

Post by MGMgrand »

Plus MOT time they are getting a little tetchy on overloud zorsts. I have a Sard on my N/A which is loud enough and just gets past the radar come MOT time.

I do also like the comment on fast versus loud. They should go together. But as the 2 looks fast at 30 I'll allow some slack :D

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Wales”