Sunday 21st November - South West Third Sunday Run - Report

The home for all your pictures and videos of MR2OC meets and events.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Sunday 21st November - South West Third Sunday Run - Report

Post by MR2Jay »

Sunday 21st November - South West Third Sunday Run - Report and Pics

Right, thought I would start something new. What better way to encourage newbies along to the meets than a blow by blow report of the day complete with pics. :th:

Leaving nice and early, the day started with Myself, Annf2009 and Dhoney666 leaving our home just outside Ivybridge to make the first rendevous at Exeter service after a nice run up the A38. Here we met Dawntracker, GT4Mayhem and MrJan to head up to our main meeting point at Taunton Sainsbury's.

Cruising into Taunton, we met up with Pink (Who we were supposed to meet in Exeter), Craig-Rev3, Purple Ronnie and another Newbie (sorry dude, no idea what your username is). I just happened to be met with a rather smokey engine on hitting Taunton, this meant a dive into Halfords for an oil filter and some frantic on-the-spot mechanics. Yup, the dreaded sandwich plate was not holding a seal. Managed to get it far better than it was and headed off for the day.....

Lost Dhoney666 and MrJan in the hectic traffic in Taunton, who it turns out headed in completely the wrong direction so we made the decision to head toward our main feeding point with the chance of meeting them on route.

Left Taunton along the A358 to be met with a nice, smooth set of curves and a gentle warm up for what was to come. This led to the A39 through Minehead and we headed out toward Exmoor.

Passed through Porlock and came face to face with the infamous Porlock Hill. This is the UK's steepest "A"road at a 1 in 4 incline. Fantastic drive up though there, with hairpin bends on a 25% incline. Great fun!!!! :yh:

Here is a vid of the road to give you guys an idea what we went up - try and imagine 7 MR2's (and a Laguna estate) going up there ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4viue3zAw0

Once we had hit the top, we had a great twisty run over the edge of Exmoor, with the sea on our right and the rolling vista of Exmoor on the left. Some great curves with some daunting, vertical drops right up to the roadside. Located a fantastic car park (with conveniences ;) ) at the top, where Dhoney666 and MrJan caught us up. Once again we were a complete convoy :yh:

So, on to food :yh: Followed the coastal A39 down into Lynmouth where we all parked up, right on the seafront and went in search of food. Found a fantastic restaurant where a full carvery was the order of the day. Wandered back to the cars through the village (stopping for the obligatory fudge on the way).

So, with full stomachs and warmed up cars, we set off once more. This time we followed a fantastic road right along the top of the moors with some challenging corners, dips, cows the lot. This took us onto the B3223, through a few tiny villages and down into Dulverton then on to Tiverton.

After a final meet in a layby, the day ended.

On to the next :yh:

Big thanks to everyone that showed......Without you guys, the meet isn't the same :th:

1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

Topic author
MR2Jay

Re: Sunday 21st November - South West Third Sunday Run - Rep

Post by MR2Jay »

Update with pics (Courtesy of Dawntracker) :th:

gt4mayhem

Post by gt4mayhem »

yep that now will be pinks favourite hill of all time! :laughing must buy pink that c.d in the vid for his nxt cruise up there :p

Pink
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Pink »

I've got my own video of driving up porlock hill. I'm going to try and get round to editing the crappy video from my camera phone tonight (so need a go pro HD).

I was actually listening to Disturbed - Enemy going up there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIUxsTbECLY

Slightly different to your suggestion. :)
"˙əʇsɐʇ ɐ əɯ əʌıƃ ʇsnɾ uəɥʇ 'ƃuıɥʇʎɹəʌə əʌɐɥ ʇ,uɐɔ ı ɟı puɐ"
ʞɔɐlq ɹɐq-ʇ ɯpɾ sʇƃ ııʌəɹ ııʞɯ
203.8hp - 224lbs/ft (engine) - 185.hp(wheels)

Craig-rev3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Post by Craig-rev3 »

Nice report Jay :th:

I'm glad I made the trip down for this, there were some great roads! Definitely up for another in Spring :D
Rev 3 N/A - RIP :(
Rev 2 Turbo - Sold :(
Rev 1 N/A - Road Legal Track Car :D
Rev 1 V6 - Co-owned side project :D

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Ooh, if you could get that vid on this report pink, that would be awesome :th:

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Pink
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by Pink »

http://youtu.be/sLde7ZALspY

I tried pasting this in a PM to you so you could include it in the main report but the forums kept erroring saying there was an illegal character 39 in it. Seems to be accepted in the main forum posts fine though.

Apologies for the crappy quality, but that's my camera phone for you. If anyone wants to buy me a Go Pro HD I promise to video all future meets I attend :)
"˙əʇsɐʇ ɐ əɯ əʌıƃ ʇsnɾ uəɥʇ 'ƃuıɥʇʎɹəʌə əʌɐɥ ʇ,uɐɔ ı ɟı puɐ"
ʞɔɐlq ɹɐq-ʇ ɯpɾ sʇƃ ııʌəɹ ııʞɯ
203.8hp - 224lbs/ft (engine) - 185.hp(wheels)

Topic author
MR2Jay

Post by MR2Jay »

Cool mate :th:

You need to keep it steady somehow though ;)

dhoney666

Post by dhoney666 »

thoughly enjoyed sunday after i picked up a 2 on fri will deff go on more cheers jay for a brill outing :th: :clapping:

Annf2009

Post by Annf2009 »

Just to say great day, great roads and great people :clapping:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2OC Event pictures and videos”