Warning for all 'boy-racers'

Moderator: Regional Reps

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

dansrev2turbo
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: Warning for all 'boy-racers'

Post by dansrev2turbo »

spanky wrote:
Zero tolerance is the only way to ensure I don't get a phone call or knock on the door from the cops from the cops. They are notified of every meet in Northern Ireland with my name, address, phone number and route details. This is a legal requirement and if there was a complaint it wouldn't take long for them to track me down. I would treat any member the same whether they were a first timer or veteran.
totally understand why your "censored" off with this being the case but...
GWrinkle wrote: the member was unknown to anyone else and not a regular, so no loss to the club in my opinion :)
how was he meant to know the rules if not a regular?
yes id be "censored" off if someone did that 6ft from my car, heck, i get nervous of people just parking next to me! but imo lessons would have more likely to be learned if it were a more lenient approach considering he was a newbie, the telling off/arguing would have been enough.
a quiet word in his ear would be better imo, then he could make up his own mind, come and stay calm or dont come at all

manta5

Post by manta5 »

dansrev2turbo wrote:
spanky wrote:
Zero tolerance is the only way to ensure I don't get a phone call or knock on the door from the cops from the cops. They are notified of every meet in Northern Ireland with my name, address, phone number and route details. This is a legal requirement and if there was a complaint it wouldn't take long for them to track me down. I would treat any member the same whether they were a first timer or veteran.
totally understand why your "censored" off with this being the case but...
GWrinkle wrote: the member was unknown to anyone else and not a regular, so no loss to the club in my opinion :)
how was he meant to know the rules if not a regular?

yes id be "censored" off if someone did that 6ft from my car, heck, i get nervous of people just parking next to me! but imo lessons would have more likely to be learned if it were a more lenient approach considering he was a newbie, the telling off/arguing would have been enough.
a quiet word in his ear would be better imo, then he could make up his own mind, come and stay calm or dont come at all
+1 :th:

Topic author
spanky
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by spanky »

MangoMan wrote:
spanky wrote:
Boy_Racer wrote:I guess I won't be going to Ireland then.......... But then again who'd want to...???...lol. :rofl:
You are more than welcome, along with MangoMan - I presume you know each other as you share an IP address ..... BUSTED ?!?!? :cheeky:
Actually it was my son, I won't actually mention what he wanted to say, (something about a group of elderly gentlemen getting very excited over some sparsely clad ladies, and playing) but of course I can't stop him joining up can I....... But don't worry I doubt you will see him here very often, he say's he has better things to do. :cool1:

....... Oh, and by the way, I think they are looking for members at the H&S Executive....... :th:

damn it ... thought I'd got you there :cheeky: :D

MangoMan

Post by MangoMan »

....... :) .......

Topic author
spanky

Post by spanky »

dansrev2turbo wrote: how was he meant to know the rules if not a regular?

The general club disclaimer is there when you register for a meet. In addition to this we have a further set of t&c's for meets in Ireland (due to the Police involvement with ever meet), that everyone is made aware of.

First timer or not, he was aware of the guidelines.

I did think about talking to him at the time, but confronting people to tell them off like a petulant child is not why I am a rep for this club and it wouldn't have served any purpose in this case.

Probby

Post by Probby »

I don't normally bother with this sort of thread but I must say in my humble opinion banning the chap and deleting his account off this site does seem a lot like overkill. Obviously reasons exist for this to happen and I can't comment on the situation in Ireland regarding meets/cruises/modified cars or the history/circumstance etc but still to the uninitated the punishment appears at first glance ill proportioned.

I won't dispute what he did was daft, coz it was, and that he acted inapproriatly, coz he did but not everyone is mature enough, or sensible enough, to make the right decision everytime. Who knows perhaps this sort of thing happens at the Lada owners club meets? :)

Perhaps (as others have said) if words were had and this person insisted in to act inapproriatly then yes appropriate action should be taken to protect the image of the club and indeed the person organising the events.

But effectivly being banned from UK meets, and his account deleted from this site? You don't get that sort of treatment as a football hooligan :)

Just my two cents worth.

bettyswollocks

Post by bettyswollocks »

Apart from this i take it the day went well, i only got on the road last week so i missed it but a few friends seen you drive through Ballycastle (did you stop there?), maybe i`ll still have mine for next year, btw only doughnuts i`m interested in are 6 jam ones from asda . :p

Topic author
spanky

Post by spanky »

bettyswollocks wrote:Apart from this i take it the day went well, i only got on the road last week so i missed it but a few friends seen you drive through Ballycastle (did you stop there?), maybe i`ll still have mine for next year, btw only doughnuts i`m interested in are 6 jam ones from asda . :p
It was a greats day ... you will have to get along to the next one :th: and bring some of those donuts with you :)

Probby wrote: But effectivly being banned from UK meets, and his account deleted from this site? You don't get that sort of treatment as a football hooligan :)
You do actually, hence the airport security in England today with 40000 fans heading to S Africa. Heard one guy on Radio 1 saying that his punishment for being in one football related disturbance was banned from town centre during home matches for 3 years (I think), 200+ hours community service and his passport taken from him so that he cant travel to away matches.

Probby

Post by Probby »

The last bit was meant more as humorous current-affairs jib but never mind :)

Topic author
spanky

Post by spanky »

Probby wrote:The last bit was meant more as humorous current-affairs jib but never mind :)

Missed that one ... the smilie should have been a clue :blush:

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

I must say i've thought alot about this and i'm not sure of the correct way to proceed IMHO :confused1:

I agree with Spanky.

Curb it once and for all if done at a meet - full stop.

But i can also see the other side.

If i was a rep still i would have gone straight over to the driver, pulled the keys out of his/her car and not given them back until they had heard what i had to say to them and accepted what i said.

i.e. - behave or you're off - full stop. Oh and by the way i'll report you to the Police unless you apologise to ourselves and the others here for what you have done. That would probably have been the best and most diplomatic way about it.

If they thought the wrong impression was given at a meet and they didn't give the best impression, give them a chance to explain. If you felt they were acting badly a second time - screw them - they don't deserve another invite.

I appreciate you have have different rules out there - but as a MOD i would have banned them for a few weeks with an ear bashing, as a REP i would have give them a bollocking and as a fellow member i would have still bollocked them!

If the person in question can hold his/her hands up and apologise (which takes a big man/woman) to the club and the Reps then i see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed on all the NI drives and would get a big thumbs up from me. If they don't, then goodbye.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Well considered post from HM. :th:

However, I think a lot of those from this side of the Irish Sea who feel that spanky's decision was harsh do not fully understand the different regime in NI and possible repercussions for meet organisers.

We can debate this until the cows come home but the decision is properly one for those with local knowledge. It's easy to pontificate from the ivory towers of Great Britain where conditions are very different.

Better to err on the side of protecting the OC than to find our activities under the microsope.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

SlipSlide
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by SlipSlide »

Gotta agree with the actions taken, you don't mess with the law in N.I.

Notwithstanding that, it was a public carpark, how much of a bollocking could bring back a lost eye due to a stone, cars can be mended, but a childs future is more important than any of our, or this loons needs.

A public car park on a nice day with children present, if all my facts are correct nothing was over the top. Some things don't deserve a second chance, funkin about in public, big no no.

How serious is traffic in N.I., I spent a night in cell because my mate ran into me at sub 30mph.

Now what would it be like if somebody sustained an injury on this run, with a club rep on the "parade's commission" list of organisers.

And yes I have spun up my wheels once or twice before, but its an N/A so don't pick on me. :D
1995 JDM Anniversary Mrk II, 2000 2ZZ track hack, 1991 ST185RC. etc.

"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP

My_Name_Is_Sylar

Post by My_Name_Is_Sylar »

If he hit a car in the car park it'd reflect on everyone at the meet, imagine if he'd hit your car? For me, anyone who'd pose such a risk should be gone from the site! Just another larry with a rwd car thinking he's a drift king!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 13 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Northern/Southern ireland”