The pipes from Hell! you're not kidding!!!

PeteRST
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by PeteRST »

I'm another victim of those dreaded pipes...

Did I get this right? As long as you don't turn on the heater (leave the slider fully on cold) there won't be any coolant going through those pipes?

I can't be bothered to fix it right now TBH but I only drive my MR2 in summer so don't need hot air anyways. :P

What if you're in a traffic jam and the temperature is rising? I'm sure theres some security valve that opens the heater matrix eventually if the car's going to overheat?

Topic author
dan-the-man

Post by dan-the-man »

I turned mine to cold and although it still leaked, it was no near as bad as it was before.

Topic author
has_a_hilux

Post by has_a_hilux »

mine leaks even when the engine isnt on?
is this still right?

Topic author
dan-the-man

Re: The pipes from Hell! you're not kidding!!!

Post by dan-the-man »

has_a_hilux wrote:mine leaks even when the engine isnt on?
is this still right?
could be as the coolant leaks down the fuel tank and sits on the undertray.

Topic author
barrygadd

Post by barrygadd »

Hi,
Mine went too on a 1991 G-Limited.
Initially I thought I'd do the job properly and dropped the fuel tank (this is a real PITA) I removed the offending pipe which suffers metal fatigue and cracks at the weld of the mounting lug to the cooling pipe. I took a short length of copper pipe and cut it lengthwise and soldered it over the crack. Checked carefully and it didn't leak GREAT. Replaced the pipe and tank and ran the car for at least 1 day before the bl...dy thing leaked again.
Gave up. Bought enough metres of can't remember 18 or 19mm heater hose from Halfords disconnected the short rubber hoses at each end of the original brass pipes and ran the new heater hose all the way front to back.
I replaced the under pans and placed spacers (approx 1cm) approx half way along the car to avoid pinching the pipes. I also fitted the hoses behind the tin heat shield and carefully bent the shield to avoid pinching / rubbing. Did this approx 2 years ago and its fine. ( I have other problems but this cure works well)

Topic author
blackhead

Post by blackhead »

i love you lot!!! only got my mr2 two weeks ago and noticed a leak on sat. afternoon. after investigating(striping down pipework that i could get at) ive found out previous owner has took out thermostat to slow down the leak was running fine till this weekend have got to the bottom of it now and it is the hoses from hell o/s mainly i think the n/s is ok but i suppose i better do both together what do u think??? they were the hoses from hell but after seeing treves awesum write up now i feel at ease with this weekends task !!!!! trev your a legend , if this all goes as well as yours i owe you a few cases of beer!!!!!

Topic author
blackhead

Post by blackhead »

oh also is the normal rubber heater hose at £3.75 a metre on ebay ok or shall i go for the silicon hose at £14.99 a metre. the wallet is hoping the rubber is going to be ok lol

Topic author
Shaboy

Post by Shaboy »

just go to your local motor factor and get some 1/4" rad hose, I got 10m but you really don't need that much, 8 would prob be enough but it give you more to play around with - assuming your replaing the whole lot and running front to back.

this thread was a great help when i did mine, just make sure you do it on a nice day, the amount of time you have to spend under the car you don't want to be doing it in the rain, unless you have a garage of course on not doing it on the drive like me :sad:

Topic author
blackhead

Post by blackhead »

im on the drive im afraid but dead keen to get going , think ill do it in my wetsuit if need be lol, cheers !

Topic author
karldavies

Post by karldavies »

My bro and I have just replaced the hose from hell and the hose from hell on earth !

What a complete ball ache, thats all I can say !!!!!

Works fine now though...no overheating :D

Topic author
playtime

Post by playtime »

well now my brain's fried. I checked my heater pipes and thought they didnt look too bad to be honest, but fitted the rubber pipes in their place, but my cars still leaking as quick as the water is poured in, shes running out just behind the drivers seat. I feel stupid here, but I cant see where else its leaking, but I can see its running down the sump where its facing the driver's back wheel. Anyone any ideas? Also could someone tell me where the thermostat is on a 1991 turbo? Im hoping its where the main water pipe connects to the block right beside the intercooler? Im hoping its just a burst housing gasket :sad:

gazza1286
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gazza1286 »

Probably the 'Turbo - Hose from Hell' See:

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/service/hfh/hfh.htm

Either that or a water pump failure or a failed core plug on the block.

Topic author
playtime

Post by playtime »

cheers. Ive just had a good check there this morning, and the water is actually dripping down onto the oil return pipe from the turbo, so it seems to be the turbo water pipes :crybaby: Time to get busy :rolleyes:

Topic author
playtime

Post by playtime »

oks after aload of grief and stripped and broken bolts, ive be able to check both the pfh and pfhae pipes and neither of these were leaking either, but i replaced with new silicone pipes and a bit of heat shielding tube over the pfh one, but I noticed theres rust and water dripping from the hard pipe that runs along the block below the manifold, where it meets with the side of the thermostat housing (the top pipe). Is there meant to be a gasket in there? Seems to be a bigger gap than the pipe below which is a nice tight fit against the thermostat housing. Anyone had this problem before? I thought this type of setup was meant to be tight once the waterpump/thermostat housing was bolted tight against the front/side of the engine block. Can this pipe be adjusted so it can moved tighter against the housing? Sorry for the million questions, Im a newbie and out of 3 weeks ownership, ive got 2 days driving and slowly loosing the will to live :bye:

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”