An Idea for JAE show cars

Wicksteed Park - Kettering
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
oddshoes
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

An Idea for JAE show cars

Post by oddshoes »

As the site input and suggestion forum is locked I thought that I would post it here as it is also related to this forum, there is a show and shine comp every month how about making only the winners of this the JAE cars.
As JAE is early September there could be 12 cars would have to start running from September and go through to August. I also would believe that it would mean a number of different cars would have more chances of winning or even entering each month as some are daily drivers for people and some are only weekend and summers toys like mine has become.
As a result it will give the club and its members a better chance of keeping the pride and joys looking good and hopefully keeping them longer too as well as building up JAE fever throught out the year :D

The rules would be
- If you win that month your car would be classified as Miss (what ever the month woulds be) but you could not win it for the rest of that year but sit be entilled to enter the comp just to show of your 2 or your cleaning skills
-A second place would be recorded as a back up just incase anything was to happen as they seem to do with these aging cars
- But still have your car on the home page for the month that you win

what do you guys think? This is only ment to be a idea post

Dave :D

Current - modified 265bhp PFL MR-S in Gulf Livery

Previous - Rev1 turbo, Rev3 turbo, Rev5, Rev3 V6, PFL Roadster

MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Re: An Idea for JAE show cars

Post by MR2Jay »

Sounds like a cracking idea mate :th:

So what you are suggesting is that the show and shine winners and runners up go into the draw for the JAE show cars for 2012. Then maybe a month before, a thread is put on with the winning cars and maybe a poll for the top six or seven?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

JayUK91
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by JayUK91 »

Gets my vote! Really good idea.

Wilkie Senior
Current Model: None
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Wilkie Senior »

i like it as it it opens it up, and i agree it gives an opportunity for a wide range of cars, and hopefully more members will enter.

There are some nice cars out there in OC land, it would be nice to see more of a mix the 1s,2s & 3s at all levels std modded radical show cars daily drives etc

got my vote
"That's a Negative Jim..I Do Not Have The Measles!"

Steve-Gts-Turbo

Post by Steve-Gts-Turbo »

so what happens when someone cant make JAE but is the winner of say october the year before?? does the runner up then take the glory of all that hard work and polishing??

its great in essence bud, but in reality you have to make the assumption that the winners will turn up (will they ??, how many S&S winners were there this JAE?)

dont take me wrong, i love the idea, just dont see it working unless you give S&S winners a free weekend

:blush:

Wilkie Senior
Current Model: None

Post by Wilkie Senior »

i would have thought how many cars where on the satnd as the "show cars" was it 6?

I am sure 6 out of 12 would make it!

Or it is organised for 12 cars, then whoever turns up from the S&S winners, goes in pride of place

If there it is deemed to fill it up to 12 cars, and there are no shows, maybe the club mods & admins, at the show, pick a car out who has turned up?
just a ikkle thought?
"That's a Negative Jim..I Do Not Have The Measles!"

Steve-Gts-Turbo

Brian JW wrote:i would have thought how many cars where on the satnd as the "show cars" was it 6?

I am sure 6 out of 12 would make it!

Or it is organised for 12 cars, then whoever turns up from the S&S winners, goes in pride of place

If there it is deemed to fill it up to 12 cars, and there are no shows, maybe the club mods & admins, at the show, pick a car out who has turned up?
just a ikkle thought?
good idea bud, but how many of the cars on the show stand this year, were S&S winners in the time period Dave has suggeted??
in fact how many S&S winners of that period were actually at JAE?? it would be interesting to know....facts norrmaly speak for them selves :)

Howlin_Mad
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Only way I could see it working (as there are normally 6 stand cars) is that the full twelve go into the public vote for the best 6 confirmed attendees of the 12, and any shortfall from 6 is made up from a non-S&S vote. I do think certain cars manage to make the elite stand cars year in year out (and I'm not knocking either owners or judging panel(s)) but it would be nice to see some different cars on there and reward the owners for their graft.

Just my opinion of course - it's down to other folk more involved with the JAE thingybob.

HM

[edit] - it might also give a few more members an incentive to attend & enter the S&S if they know they have a 50% chance of taking their cars to the big one of the year in pride of place on the stand[/edit]
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

PaulNowak
Deceased Member R.I.P
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Post by PaulNowak »

Nice idea in essence Dave.

However, 12 months is a long time, people sell up, bend them etc

Folk have won from Norway, and we get a lot of entries from Scotland, both a bit of a trek from Wicksteed Park.

Personally, I don't see a problem with JAE ticket buyers putting their cars forward for selection.

No shows are always going to be a problem, in fact, we had to use substitute cars, as some of the ones selected by the panel did not show up.

For the record, we normally have 5 cars, this year it was 7 due to space on the stand.

The big problem with putting it to the vote, is that it becomes a popularity contest, in fact we even had a member once create multiple user accounts, just to vote for his car, and then he didn't even show up with it!

We're all for getting mk1s, 2s and 3s into the mix, but if folk don't enter, what can we do? We didn't have a single mk1 on the stand this year!

Just my thoughts.

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by d-peg »

I agree Dave that it would be a lovely idea but am unsure how "workable" it would actually be.

Let's take the last 12 months winners for example...

S - PeteT
O - Fimmo
N - VC
D - Olly MR2
J - Oddshoes
F - Badgerbob
M - Steve-M-UK
A - Rhon
M - Mark_S
J - Nollywood
J - Baby-Todd
A - Navz

1 has sold and moved on.
8 did not attend JAE
3 that did attend JAE entered the JAE Show Cars comp anyway :)

I think it would be safe to say that being an annual S&S winner would hold you in good stead for the JAE comp anyway. :th: Remember though, folk like Michael never enter S&S on the forum - i entered his car (before i knew i'd be driving it).

Another one to remember is having seen somebody's car helps a load too. There are a lot of cars in the club that look waaaaaaaay better in photo than they do in reality. I will freely admit that sonic is one of those cars. All those little niggly dints, scrapes & dings. I've trekked a long way out of Kent in the past 12 months to go to other regional meets and will do the same next year too. Getting out to meets so that folk have seen your P&J is always good. :th:

But that said, why not do sash's for the cars that have won as Miss January, February and so on..? But then with only 3 S&S winners in attendance it'd be a bit lame methinks... :search:
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

adam3442

Post by adam3442 »

d-peg wrote:There are a lot of cars in the club that look waaaaaaaay better in photo than they do in reality.
I think that's every car dude! Cars always look better in pics!

Steve-Gts-Turbo

d-peg wrote: There are a lot of cars in the club that look waaaaaaaay better in photo than they do in reality.

Count my car as one of them too!! with a bit of camera magic it looks the mutts nutts, but in reality i would`nt use it for spares to the likes of Gaz or Doeboy`s cars.

I do think its a great idea just cant see it actually working :)

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by d-peg »

Carry on now, nothing to see here! Clerical error :blush: :D
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

vanilla.coffee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 39
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by vanilla.coffee »

Nice idea in principle but in reality difficult to implement for reasons already stated above.

Personally, I think the fairest way is a show car thread leading up to the event and whomever enters obviously must be attending.

Personally, I think show cars should be banned. Too elitist and puts other people off attending because they think they drive sheds. :D
They'll take the internet off us if people keep doing this.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “JAE - 2011”