Raspberry pi £25 computer with big performance

the place to discus in car computers
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
derick

Post by derick »

As you may or may not be aware of, i have just undergone a turbo conversion :) but it got me thinking about my interior control pannel and as i like to call it, my HUD :)

raspberry pi is a new an upcomming peice of computing amazment! which im wanting to implement in my MR2 in the form of touchscreen double din monitor.

with this impressive computer i can link not only the multimedia aspects of the car, such as video and music BUT! i can use raspberry pi as a car control unit and infomation. Speed, RPM, boost levels, oil presure etc etc.

you could even have a self diagnosits unit built into the raspberry pi computer system if an engine warning light pops up! or even have a precheck program that checks everything before you set off!

this is only an idea but im hoping to impliment them into my mr2, going to run the raspberry pi on linux and do a bit of coding for some programs if they dont already exsist and see what i can make :)

What do you guys think?

go check it out :)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

it looks a brilliant peice of kit for the price!!

Topic author
MelvinPuddlebank

Re: Raspberry pi £25 computer with big performance

Post by MelvinPuddlebank »

I have seen these before, a couple of guys on the classic Audi forums seemed interested in them a few months back, I'll have a look some time to see if they got anywhere.

A very affordable and flexible bit of kit for us geeks ;-)

Would be very interested in seeing how this goes, might have a go at some coding myself if I get the time.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Wow.

If they make one of these that is PoE capable, this is going to be epic.

Nice find!

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Wilkie Senior
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Wilkie Senior »

very interesting!!!

i thought this section highly amusing well tragic really

I’d like to draw attention to one cost in particular that really created problems for us in Britain. Simply put, if we build the Raspberry Pi in Britain, we have to pay a lot more tax. If a British company imports components, it has to pay tax on those (and most components are not made in the UK). If, however, a completed device is made abroad and imported into the UK – with all of those components soldered onto it – it does not attract any import duty at all. This means that it’s really, really tax inefficient for an electronics company to do its manufacturing in Britain, and it’s one of the reasons that so much of our manufacturing goes overseas. Right now, the way things stand means that a company doing its manufacturing abroad, depriving the UK economy, gets a tax break. It’s an absolutely mad way for the Inland Revenue to be running things, and it’s an issue we’ve taken up with the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.

Crazy!!
"That's a Negative Jim..I Do Not Have The Measles!"

Topic author
Bobsy

Post by Bobsy »

derick wrote: with this impressive computer i can link not only the multimedia aspects of the car, such as video and music BUT! i can use raspberry pi as a car control unit and infomation. Speed, RPM, boost levels, oil presure etc etc.

you could even have a self diagnosits unit built into the raspberry pi computer system if an engine warning light pops up! or even have a precheck program that checks everything before you set off!
This bit sounds very interesting!

Topic author
derick

Post by derick »

Been looking into it even more, and with the aspect of Wi/fi or 3g, had a crazy idea of 'Hotspoting' where if all the MR2OC members had one of these installed into their car, you could see where everyone is :) and even connect to them to talk or even share experiances! In a very similar way to Xbox live party system!

I have emailed the company to send one my way as well! will see what i can do :)

Topic author
Bobsy

Post by Bobsy »

After looking through the site a little it seems a bit mind boggling to me.

Topic author
adzmr2

Post by adzmr2 »

Looks interesting, but i still prefer a good old fashioned car pc running windows, none of this code malarky just plug and play, this will be in the mr2 when it gets back together

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260940873755? ... 164wt_1270

Tsunami
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Tsunami »

Looks like these will also make a good HTPC.
We have nothing to fear except politicians themselves

Topic author
derick

Post by derick »

adzmr2 wrote:Looks interesting, but i still prefer a good old fashioned car pc running windows, none of this code malarky just plug and play, this will be in the mr2 when it gets back together

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260940873755? ... 164wt_1270
look at the price difference!

Tsunami
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Tsunami »

Keep in mind you will have to add a few peripherals such as screen, power supply (I am guessing it will need some form of converter) solid state drive etc. to make it work, but still, it is a bargain. Shame it only runs flavours of linux. A working Android setup would be useful too as would say XP.
We have nothing to fear except politicians themselves

simon1
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Post by simon1 »

android is based on linux so im sure a work around could be done to enable it to support it. and the version so far is more of a development board it is not a production board as that will be smaller. (ie use micro sd etc)
looking at it for the cost it does seem very good and able to do alot of things (with the right programs and knowledge).
My MR2 MK2 REV2 Tubby
210.7 HP, 208 LB/ft Torque, 1/4mile in 14.7023s and castle coombe lap of 1:41 :D

Topic author
PBee

Post by PBee »

I started another post about this today :facepalm: so have pointed mine here...

Being a bit of a geek myself I've also registered interest, going to look at making a fully customisable in-car PC... agree on the Android side, someone will hack it / provide drivers to run Android fairly quickly.

I'm thinking a usb touchcreen like this for £100: http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... LMBEPMCMAU If I can squeeze it into the console.

Then a simple power supply to convert 12v down to the 3 to 5v it'll need (again cheap as) and off you go.

Also notice the 'GPIO' (I/O) soldering points on the board... I presuming you'll be able to connect up and program almost any sensor onto it to show gauges for engine controls easily enough :)

A USB solid state HDD (cheap as chips nowadays) and you've then got music and video. stick a GPS receiver on and there's your Sat-Nav, stick a mobile dongle in the USB and there's your internet on the go!

The possibilities are simply endless!

simon1
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Post by simon1 »

yep been keeping my eye on this and the slightly smaller (credit card size) board (B) is in production (not quite here yet) but can be bought from RS and farnell when it does arrive :)

this will be intresting to see where this leads, as potentially could wipe out the need for lots of seprate indepenant gauges and allow just one screen with a few buttons and sensors required to do there job. and also instant diagosis of faults/conditions.

my ideas ontop of whats already been said is:
working out a best way of fitting easily into the mr2 (cubby behind seat, under the seat, making a box in the frunk or boot, or most prefable somewhere in/behind the dash)
then the main programs that can do real time display (plus logging) of AFR, Boost, Oil temp,oil pressure, water temp, fuel and distance travelled (rpms would prob be a useful )
then look into the more detailed items like boost control and turbo timer implemtation based on use and poss audio and video & games.

basically it all depends on how many get involed and spend time developing diffrent aspects and then sharing them (plus helping others when they get stuck).
My MR2 MK2 REV2 Tubby
210.7 HP, 208 LB/ft Torque, 1/4mile in 14.7023s and castle coombe lap of 1:41 :D

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Carputers”