Trip computers?

the place to discus in car computers
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 2 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Bobsy

Trip computers?

Post by Bobsy »

Hi guys,
Does anyone know if there are trip computers you can install into your car which do all the usual stuff such as how many miles left in the tank, average speed, mpg and so on.
The only reason I ask is because lately I've been driving my dads bmw and that has the little trip computer on it and it actually makes me drive really fuel efficiently because I try and get the number of miles left in the tank as high as possible while trying not to drive like a granny.
I'm guessing either there isn't such a thing or it's quite expensive and hard to install but it may be worth it in the long run as my 2 is/will be my daily drive.
Cheers :D

Topic author
Ug_lee

Re: Trip computers?

Post by Ug_lee »

The trip computers seen in modern cars take the data from the ECU which is OB2 enabled.

Mk1&99% of Mk2's are not OBD compliant ECU's so difficult to get that data. Only way to do it would be to go to a top end aftermarket ECU or a more modern engine conversion with the required ECU.

I've got an ultragauge for my Mk2 as the engine is only 4 years old, but to be honest the novelty goes after about 30 mins and barely gets a 2nd glance now http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

Topic author
Bobsy

Trip computers?

Post by Bobsy »

Cheers for the link ug_lee and I never thought about aftermarket ecu's. That might be a possibility as I'll be getting a standalone shortly after my forge build is up and running.
If I had to drive the bmw forever more I dont think the novelty would wear off as its a boring drive anyway, however the 2 has boost which may render my plan useless haha

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 12 years and 2 days old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Carputers”