WRA Attempt - We've lost it - Lets try and get it back

Temporary forum for the event on the 31st May 2009
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

FlashHarry
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Re: WRA Attempt - We've lost it - Lets try and get it back

Post by FlashHarry »

I went to the Ferrari GWR at Silverstone last weekend and that was 964 cars so track is definitely big enough! :-)

Everyone was parked just outside the fencing in rows with a few cars on the grass. We were all instructed to to tune into radio Silverstone which gave a running commentary/instructions as we were led out to the track with the cars running 3 abreast once there. Very well organised and marshalled.

One thing I would suggest is that they had a helicopter filming it from above - dont know if its who they used but you can go for pleasure flights from the track for £40 - if you got someone to do that during the attempt you could do a "budget" aerial film which would look well cool :-)

Few photos - hope it helps

You had to be careful not to ding the car next to you with your door! LOL

A few old bangers there too

3 abreast - took about 30 mins for everyone to get in place - bit like being on the M6 friday night LOL

RickMcRick

Post by RickMcRick »

^^^ Wow, I bet that was EIPC! Would have loved to have just been there to see/hear it!

As for the nay sayers. You might well be right, it might be impossible, but no need to negative comments at this early stage. If we don't try we will never know :p

topgun
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by topgun »

We have done it before so no reason why we can't do it again,we just need to establish what record we are going for.

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

topgun wrote:We have done it before so no reason why we can't do it again,we just need to establish what record we are going for.
Erm .... Largest parade of Toyota Cars .... :blink:

As TLF mentioned; GWR make no distinction between model - only make.
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

FlashHarry

Post by FlashHarry »

It was amazing - still cant believe it TBH! LOL

As well as the GWR itself it was a "Ferrari Racing Day" where you got to the FXX development cars up close and personal - absolutely amazing - brings a whole new meaning to modding cars! LOL

Best bit as well it was absolutely free as long as you came in a Ferrari :-)

Out on track - bit scary!

Racing earlier in the day

Modded cars welcome :-)

I'm saving up for this ;-')

The pits

I think if you could organise some sort of show/event at same time that would help with numbers :-)

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by d-peg »

Did anyone estimate a value of all the cars on track?? :shocked:
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

d-peg wrote:Did anyone estimate a value of all the cars on track?? :shocked:
Low balling but looks around 50million.

Anyway I am one of those that doesn't see how it will work but definitely give it a go :th:

We can certainly start by getting a message through to IMOC, Celica Club UK, GT4OC, Supra Owners Clubs (there are various ones). Might also want to create a forum section specifically for this so that it can be seen by all out there :th:
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

FlashHarry

Post by FlashHarry »

I think they said £100,000,000 but TBH thats just a guess. There was some seriously expensive metal there and the parade was led by Felipe Massa for added glamour

Couldnt help but think though - if you can get rare cars like these out in these numbers it should be a sinch to do it with MR2s - personally I wouldnt bother with general Toyotas - just stick with MR2s or at least just the sporty ones such as celicas and supras - think it would look rubbish on pics otherwise

topgun

Post by topgun »

d-peg wrote:
topgun wrote:We have done it before so no reason why we can't do it again,we just need to establish what record we are going for.
Erm .... Largest parade of Toyota Cars .... :blink:

As TLF mentioned; GWR make no distinction between model - only make.
I know that Trigger:blink: but how come the Netherlands hold the record for largest parade of Mr2s in a rolling convoy which is what I want to establish if we can set to beat.
To beat the largest parade of Toyota cars will be a right headache to organise,that's if they allow us,sending them an email now.
Last edited by topgun on 19/09/12 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

FlashHarry wrote:Couldnt help but think though - if you can get rare cars like these out in these numbers it should be a sinch to do it with MR2s - personally I wouldnt bother with general Toyotas - just stick with MR2s or at least just the sporty ones such as celicas and supras - think it would look rubbish on pics otherwise
There is one problem with that logic.
The ferrari owners are millionaires, they do not care about the price of petrol. Most don't have to work specific times and can definitely afford to take a day off.

Me on the other hand; I am saving to get married, rebuilding most of my car and trying to get a mortgage. With petrol hitting nearly 1.50, I am very much limiting my driving. This compared to last year when I covered 2000miles in only September and October.
See it would be great if I had my grandad's wallet but unfortunately as it stands, I struggled to do JAE as my insurance, tax, mot and sister's birthday all hit at once.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

FlashHarry

Post by FlashHarry »

Protok wrote:
FlashHarry wrote:The ferrari owners are millionaires, they do not care about the price of petrol. Most don't have to work specific times and can definitely afford to take a day off.
I think you'll find the reality is far removed from this popular misconception. Anyway not wishing to argue with anyone about it :-)

What I meant was there is a lot more MR2s so surely we can muster up enough owners to do a record? Just think it would spoil it mixing it with run of the mill cars - would end up looking like a Tescos car park - not very exciting TBH If I understand Mick right hes trying to beat the record for a parade of MR2s although it does look like this wouldn't get officially recognised unless you could get enough MR2s to beet the "general Toyota" parade which holds it at present.

topgun

Post by topgun »

FlashHarry wrote:
Protok wrote:
FlashHarry wrote:The ferrari owners are millionaires, they do not care about the price of petrol. Most don't have to work specific times and can definitely afford to take a day off.
I think you'll find the reality is far removed from this popular misconception. Anyway not wishing to argue with anyone about it :-)

What I meant was there is a lot more MR2s so surely we can muster up enough owners to do a record? Just think it would spoil it mixing it with run of the mill cars - would end up looking like a Tescos car park - not very exciting TBH If I understand Mick right hes trying to beat the record for a parade of MR2s although it does look like this wouldn't get officially recognised unless you could get enough MR2s to beet the "general Toyota" parade which holds it at present.
Exactl;y Harry that is what i am trying to do so we either try and beat the current record of Toyota cars which we can can easily do with just MR2s,or see if we can beat the Netherlands record for most Mr2s In a roling convoy.

FlashHarry

Post by FlashHarry »

Well I think we should aim high and try and beat the general Toyota parade but just using Mr2s with the compensation that if you fail youll still beat the Netherland records just for MR2s (but obviously without the GWR recognition).

Surely it can be done?????!!!!!

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by shinny »

topgun wrote:Exactl;y Harry that is what i am trying to do so we either try and beat the current record of Toyota cars which we can can easily do with just MR2s
Like heck we can! Yes, there are thousands out there in the UK, but they're now budget sport cars, often with owners who either aren't that engaged or don't have the money to travel across the country just to drive very slowly around a race track. The clubs can't do it all - just look at the number of MR2s present at JAE and you'll realise we wouldn't even match the Silverstone numbers just by advertising on the clubs. To beat this just with MR2s would take a massive national recruitment drive now, IMHO.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “World record attempt.”