WRA Attempt - We've lost it - Lets try and get it back

Temporary forum for the event on the 31st May 2009
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: WRA Attempt - We've lost it - Lets try and get it back

Post by d-peg »

shinny wrote:
topgun wrote:Exactl;y Harry that is what i am trying to do so we either try and beat the current record of Toyota cars which we can can easily do with just MR2s
Like heck we can! Yes, there are thousands out there in the UK, but they're now budget sport cars, often with owners who either aren't that engaged or don't have the money to travel across the country just to drive very slowly around a race track. The clubs can't do it all - just look at the number of MR2s present at JAE and you'll realise we wouldn't even match the Silverstone numbers just by advertising on the clubs. To beat this just with MR2s would take a massive national recruitment drive now, IMHO.
I don't wish to sound negative but i agree with Mark.

There is no added recognition for doing it with just MR2's so why try? However limiting entry to 'Sports' Toyota's will give the day a better feel.

- MR2
- Supra
- Celica
- FT86 (and probably a very good way to get Toyota UK involved)
- Corrolla/AE86/101
- Starlet GT

just my 2p..

92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by shinny »

Can you imagine a Toyota backed event to go with the new FT86? A massive convoy of all the old Toyota sports cars would be epic :clapping:

I know this means some FT86s will be at the front rather than the TuRD, but what an awesome day it'd be! If we're lucky, Toyota UK could just pick it up and run with it, meaning we wouldn't have to organise much at all :th:

Make a day of it, get Toyota UK to give demo irdes in FT86s, open up the track for track time for the other Toyotas, have club stands from the Toyota only clubs and you've got yourself an event :D

PBee

Post by PBee »

Count me in, I have 'Break a world record' on my bucket-list, so this would count!! :D

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by dawesy »

im in :)

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

So Mark, are you going to get in touch with Toyota UK then?
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

FlashHarry
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by FlashHarry »

What about if it is tagged onto the end of a race meet where they race MR2s (sort of thing Patrick/Rogue) gets involved in? Ready made crowd, track etc etc would keep any costs down?

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by shinny »

Protok wrote:So Mark, are you going to get in touch with Toyota UK then?
I'm not gunna steal the thunder from the OP unless there's a consensus that's something we'd want to pursue. If Mick. being the instigator of the first two WRAs, decided he just wants a repeat again, with only MR2s and him leading the convoy then I'm not gunna try stealing that from him...

Gaz!

Post by Gaz! »

d-peg wrote:
shinny wrote:
topgun wrote:Exactl;y Harry that is what i am trying to do so we either try and beat the current record of Toyota cars which we can can easily do with just MR2s
Like heck we can! Yes, there are thousands out there in the UK, but they're now budget sport cars, often with owners who either aren't that engaged or don't have the money to travel across the country just to drive very slowly around a race track. The clubs can't do it all - just look at the number of MR2s present at JAE and you'll realise we wouldn't even match the Silverstone numbers just by advertising on the clubs. To beat this just with MR2s would take a massive national recruitment drive now, IMHO.
I don't wish to sound negative but i agree with Mark.

There is no added recognition for doing it with just MR2's so why try? However limiting entry to 'Sports' Toyota's will give the day a better feel.

- MR2
- Supra
- Celica
- FT86 (and probably a very good way to get Toyota UK involved)
- Corrolla/AE86/101
- Starlet GT

just my 2p..

This was what I was saying the first time. No crap Toyotas, yaris etc, just the older sporty ones We could have the different models in model and colour order.

If we could get Toyota uk in on the mix with the GT86 like previously said. At an MR2 challenge track event that would be perfect. Sounds like the best plan so far.

I'd do think it would be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeteJ
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by PeteJ »

If it had been thought of at the time.... This record could have been sewn up properly as the first MR2 event I went to was attended by 1033 (IIRC) MR2's!!!! On the way there, MR2's were "censored" everywhere :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgx9QLEeZ6Q
Porsche 987 Boxster S 3.4 flat 6. Dyno 298 bhp 260 lbft.
CLICKY FOR BIG PICCY!
CLICKY For MR2

sinjen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by sinjen »

Toyota sports cars...BOOM... Let's do it :th:
Cosmos Gen 4 3sgte - Finished...for now

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

FlashHarry wrote:I went to the Ferrari GWR at Silverstone last weekend and that was 964 cars so track is definitely big enough! :-)
Epic! - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... &mid=75150

Back O/T
PeteJ wrote:If it had been thought of at the time.... This record could have been sewn up properly as the first MR2 event I went to was attended by 1033 (IIRC) MR2's!!!! On the way there, MR2's were "censored" everywhere :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgx9QLEeZ6Q
Good call Pete - it was actually 1034. :)
http://www.mr2dc.com/index.php/page/mr2dc-history

As shinny said, limiting it to MR2s only is TG's prerogative but I don't think that will work this time round because the required numbers will be harder to attain. A 25% drop from Rockingham to Silverstone in 2 years. The economic climate is far worse now and who knows what it will be like next summer (4 years on from the last one). Also GWR is unlikely imo to agree to change their categories to suit TG. So it will still be Toyota parade and we will need the Supras etc. etc. to beat the UAE record. With decent support from other clubs then we could think of going for the 500.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

I don't think it was just the economic climate Tony that affected the lower numbers, a lot of people boycotted because they thought we wouldn't get it due to the failure at Rockingham. I can see their standpoint, but between the organisers we worked damn hard to make sure it came off at Silverstone and we got the record. We did (In the end due to lost paperwork at the GWR end) and that still might leave a sour taste in some people mouths (especially some on IMOC to be honest who seem to bear a grudge against some on here).

I'm all up for it, as we know what we have to accomplish to achieve the record on an organisational level, and it's only as basic as if you turn up we'll get it! I reckon we could hit 300 easy just MR2's from all the clubs, but due to Rockingham I can't see this happening.

I agree, about the largest parade of TOYOTA's, and involve some of the other Toyota clubs. We could kill it with up to 800 ish I reckon, but a little official Toyota backing would be nice as Shinny said.

Personally, we need to organise it AROUND an event like JTS at Silverstone, so we can make a day of it. If it was like MR2000, we could do it on an Airfield for sure, but we'd need a lot more infrastructure on the day for driving courses, 0-60mph, food, toilets etc etc....

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Phil-B

Post by Phil-B »

I have a BMW so count me out :rolleyes: :facepalm:

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Phil-B wrote:I have a BMW so count me out :rolleyes: :facepalm:
Not everyone's perfect Phil :)

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “World record attempt.”