WRA Attempt - We've lost it - Lets try and get it back

Temporary forum for the event on the 31st May 2009
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: WRA Attempt - We've lost it - Lets try and get it back

Post by TonyleFrog »

Howlin_Mad wrote:I don't think it was just the economic climate Tony that affected the lower numbers, a lot of people boycotted because they thought we wouldn't get it due to the failure at Rockingham.
OK but, even allowing for that, the numbers at Rockingham (including those who didn't manage to get in) were IIRC around 310. 2013 is a totally different economic world from 2007. As for 2009, I don't know how much influence MR2Only mag had on the attendance but we no longer have the oxygen of publicity from that source.
Howlin_Mad wrote:I reckon we could hit 300 easy just MR2's from all the clubs, but due to Rockingham I can't see this happening.
Six years down the line what percentage of members are still around from Rockingham or even know about the unfortunate organisational glitch which scuppered any chance of getting GWR to ratify it?
Howlin_Mad wrote:I agree, about the largest parade of TOYOTA's, and involve some of the other Toyota clubs. We could kill it with up to 800 ish I reckon, but a little official Toyota backing would be nice as Shinny said.
If you want to get Toyota GB interested let me know.
Howlin_Mad wrote:Personally, we need to organise it AROUND an event like JTS at Silverstone, so we can make a day of it. If it was like MR2000, we could do it on an Airfield for sure, but we'd need a lot more infrastructure on the day for driving courses, 0-60mph, food, toilets etc etc....
Agreed. A central location is desirable to minimise attendees travel, so Silverstone is an obvious choice if there is a suitable event onto which the attempt can be piggybacked.

If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

TonyleFrog wrote:OK but, even allowing for that, the numbers at Rockingham (including those who didn't manage to get in) were IIRC around 310. 2013 is a totally different economic world from 2007. As for 2009, I don't know how much influence MR2Only mag had on the attendance but we no longer have the oxygen of publicity from that source.
That's another thing to consider and a point well made. Steve Bishop and the team was always a big part of both events. With the MR2Only mag no longer going, we'd have to consider other media coverage now (which is where either Toyota GB could come in or Maz from HKS would come in - our new best buddy from JAE!!) They have instant clout media wise.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by d-peg »

I have to agree.....

I think without a big influential central figure (such as HKS or Toyota GB) it is not looking too rosy from the offset. Finances is something STRONG to consider....

Put it this way, a central location is the obvious choice - wherever that may be but for arguments sake lets call it Silverstone. Rachel and I (by that time) will be driving up from the deepest corner of Kent. 2 Cars - 2 tanks. That's (by that time) £150 before anything else.

That's not to say we wouldn't do it - but i cannot see money being any easier to find in 10 months time. :th:
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

sinjen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by sinjen »

How about tagging it onto an air show day? Plenty of amenities and events to pull in the crowds, plenty of media and sponsors etc?

Imagine a runway convoy of Toyotas finest in front of 40-75000 people..
Cosmos Gen 4 3sgte - Finished...for now

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

I am more than happy to get in touch with either HKS or Toyota but if I was to show either of them this mess of a thread, well let's just say it wouldn't fill them full of hope.

So can we please have a unified decision, I've got 2 Toyota's to enter (Altezza is sporty(ish))
I still don't see how it can be done as just MR2s but if people want then we can try give it a go. I am definitely up for having more national meets, JAE is only once a year ;)
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by jimGTS »

i was there for both our old record attempts in 2 different mk2 turbos!

looks like ill have to get me another to get involved with this one to :)

one of my fav pics of my car from the last WRA

(second black car from left)
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

RickMcRick

Post by RickMcRick »

I think we should try with just MR2s, give ourself a good 6 to 12 months to arrange it.

Make up some new 'spotted' cards linking people to the MR2OC web site AND the world record attempt (good for members numbers and the event). Go and see other MR2 stands and other MR2s at shows to drum up more numbers with that personal touch!

If we give ourself 12 months from now and 6 months in we don't have enough MR2s then start inviting the other Toyota sports cars

(if we still don't get enough cars then invite the Mk3s LOL)

If all the people saying we can't do it just TRY then what have we got to loose? Start getting names on a list, assume 10% won't turn up on the day and then we will have an idea if it's worth starting wheels turning!

PsyKen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by PsyKen »

I think that seeing as the event will be arranged mainly by the MR2OC, I think that we will probably provide most attendees. But, why make it harder than it should be?

Yes I agree with all the suggestions you made apart from making it just for MR2s, it will be very hard to succeed in breaking the record.

Let mr2s lead the way, at the front of the parade, but let's get other Toyotas involved. This way we could potentially SMASH the record :)

Ken, via Tapatalk
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 3 Turbo SMG
My Flickr
My Car Camera Playlist

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by shinny »

RickMcRick wrote:I think we should try with just MR2s, give ourself a good 6 to 12 months to arrange it.
Arrange it too far ahead and the people we initially talk to will probably either forget or have sold their MR2 by the time the date actually comes round :no:

RickMcRick

Post by RickMcRick »

shinny wrote:
RickMcRick wrote:I think we should try with just MR2s, give ourself a good 6 to 12 months to arrange it.
Arrange it too far ahead and the people we initially talk to will probably either forget or have sold their MR2 by the time the date actually comes round :no:
Then we have to invite more than forget, remind those who forget, and invite those who buy the cars off the ones who sell the cars!

I'm just trying to be positive 'cos if all the guys who are being negative at this early stage just turn up then that's another 10 cars towards the record.

simon1
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by simon1 »

WRA attempt again sounds great to me :th: , i think it should be other toyotas (supras ect) not just mr2s as that will help get the numbers up but split it on the track to model and then colour. :yahoo:
My MR2 MK2 REV2 Tubby
210.7 HP, 208 LB/ft Torque, 1/4mile in 14.7023s and castle coombe lap of 1:41 :D

FlashHarry
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by FlashHarry »

Don't see why you cant organise it well in advance - will give something for people to look forward to similar to JAE. You can still start doing the publicity nearer the time so folk dont forget.

I think the key is tagging it onto an existing event - as much as I enjoyed the parade last Sat I wouldn't of travelled that far just to drive round the circuit - there was a a "show" there as well so there was something to do. Also, I'm sure show organisers would welcome the thought of an extra 500 punters and their passengers to boost their own numbers so may give better support - a win, win as they say.

Just wondering - most forums have the facility to email all their members - why dont the powers that be do that on here, IMOC etc and get a register of interest?

MRS 2

Post by MRS 2 »

Well Im up for whatever happens, I have 2 MR2's, I can get my youngest daughter to drive one of them & my eldest daughter also has a 2, so thats 3 to add to the WRA :clapping:

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

We can bat this back and forth ad infinitum but one thing I can state with conviction is that if we want corporate backing (especially so in the case of Toyota GB) we need to do the groundwork and present a properly thought out specific proposal. Wasting the time of major company personnel with vague concepts doesn't go down too well.

Something else to consider. If the aim is another attempt in June 2013, 9 months hence may seem a long time, but it's not for those who do not do it for a living and have other, perhaps more pressing, commitments. To give an example. I know that planning for the Highland Drive begins almost as soon as the previous event has finished. That's why it's such a successful event. But it still needs people to be committed to do the necessary legwork. All of them have busy lives which come first.

The sooner we can get a consensus about whether to go it alone or invite support from other clubs the better. If the answer to the latter is yes then whoever volunteers for the task of co-ordinator (or has the job foisted on them) will need to have good communication and negotiating skills. Getting autonomous organisations to work together can be a tough assignment.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “World record attempt.”