Mk2 - my sill restoration experience

eringobragh
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Save your Mk2 - my sill restoration experience

Post by eringobragh »

Ah that sucks man :(

Just unbolt it.. first you need to take the cubbybox on the floor out then the other panel (remoe screw) from engine cover lever..its time consuming to remove!

eringobragh
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6

Post by eringobragh »

"censored" Rain!

The aldi trolley ain't gonna cut the mustard with the MR2 :(...couldn't even get the car up too the first notch on the axle stands.I realised its the first

time Ive used this jack since getting the car...I used the Halfords 3 tonne jack and was impressed with it, I recently got a halfords trade card so might

look into one of these

Anyway I decided while it was a dry day I'd get on with more rust proofing with the car on the ground...I've done the cavity inside the car...now I'm sorting

the sill from within the arch..some oxidisation had started (but just specks)...I treated both sides with Hammerite Kurust (2 coats).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michi
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Post by Michi »

Well I'll have to check this today fingers crossed all will be well
the MR2 is more than a car, it's a lifestyle.

Topic author
gerz

Post by gerz »

eringobragh wrote:Finally got around to checking the drivers side sill...as suspected not much there as the foam came out cleat

Treated the small rust spot with Hammerite Kurust

Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 Cavity Wax to the rescue

Only way to see into the cavity is with a digital camera..looks a mess but thats the way it supposed to! :)

Panels still out till the fumes go...took a day or 2 when the passenger side was done.
hi has this rust patch rotted through to the sill, just asking because i have the same issue as u and i plan to do the same thing.

i can feel my sills from the holes in structural shelfs prodded with screwdriver and feel fine, i think i caught it before the problem started rotting the rear of my sills
Last edited by gerz on 11/02/13 12:12, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
rob

Post by rob »

Good work - your box-sections do indeed look in good shape....a good sign that the outer sill covers are also fine.

Topic author
madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

Glad to see this thread still proving useful.

Should be made a sticky really, or popped in KY2 :grin:

Save those 2's

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Topic author
gerz

Post by gerz »

gerz wrote:
eringobragh wrote:Finally got around to checking the drivers side sill...as suspected not much there as the foam came out cleat

Treated the small rust spot with Hammerite Kurust

Bilt Hamber Dynax S50 Cavity Wax to the rescue

Only way to see into the cavity is with a digital camera..looks a mess but thats the way it supposed to! :)

Panels still out till the fumes go...took a day or 2 when the passenger side was done.
hi has this rust patch rotted through to the sill, just asking because i have the same issue as u and i plan to do the same thing.

i can feel my sills so i caught it before the problem started rotting my rear sills
so will this dynax kill existing rust and stop it no need for a dose of kurust :)

Topic author
rob

Post by rob »

According to Bilt-Hamber, yes. Although if you can get to the rusted bits it wouldn't hurt to kurust it too. Access is the problem though - because although the above images show kurusted bits, the rust has already spread under the drain hole to the RHS of the picture where you can't get to.

Kurust also requires you to remove loose surface rust - which you can't if you can't get to it.

Topic author
gerz

Post by gerz »

rob wrote:According to Bilt-Hamber, yes. Although if you can get to the rusted bits it wouldn't hurt to kurust it too. Access is the problem though - because although the above images show kurusted bits, the rust has already spread under the drain hole to the RHS of the picture where you can't get to.

Kurust also requires you to remove loose surface rust - which you can't if you can't get to it.
there is a spray form of rust killer will it be effective a kurust,if so i will use the 360 nossile attachment to spray first

Topic author
gerz

Post by gerz »

if u did it at home what sort of equipment would u need is it doable i have my car sorned just now

had a look here it is local
http://www.martinplanthire.co.uk/product/oxy-ace-kits

Kinsy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by Kinsy »

In theory, all you need is an angle grinder, a vice, some clamps, a hammer, thick gloves, and a 100-130amp welder (with helmet obviously!). Certainly dont need an oxyacetaline torch?!

I did my rear arches with less, but it's not something I recommend!

Topic author
gerz

Post by gerz »

is the vice for bending metal i have a big clamp and a bench for holding metal in place for cutting, u can bend it on there as well

there is a welder/plater in family so there is some expierence in that sort of work

Topic author
gerz

Post by gerz »

gerz wrote:
rob wrote:According to Bilt-Hamber, yes. Although if you can get to the rusted bits it wouldn't hurt to kurust it too. Access is the problem though - because although the above images show kurusted bits, the rust has already spread under the drain hole to the RHS of the picture where you can't get to.

there is a spray form of rust killer will it be as effective as kurust,if so i will use the 360 nossile attachment to spray first if it helps[/quote]
[/quote]
hi is that the big drain hole on the side in the picture u are talking about
Last edited by gerz on 11/02/13 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

Racer7
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by Racer7 »

Sorry to bump an oldish thread. Was the circa £600 price for both sides or just the one?

You can also by the outer sill part from Toyota (but need about three to do the full length).

I'm thinking of going this way with mine. Custom fabrication on the inner and replacement Toyota parts welded together.

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”