Routes for 2014 Highland Drive

Moderators: Ripley, toymr2

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
toymr2

Routes for 2014 Highland Drive

Post by toymr2 »

Coming soon, but if anyone has any ideas or requests post here :)

PeteP

Re: Routes for 2014 Highland Drive

Post by PeteP »

What are your destinations? I've done a fair bit of biking :cool1: over the high roads and can probably give you a few pointers. I might have to head over them with my MK1 :th: .

I'm based in Aberdeen so I can give you a bit of help if you need.

PeteP

Post by PeteP »

Sorry. I hadn't noticed that this is an organised club trip. :blush: I thought you were just looking for some tips.

Topic author
toymr2

Post by toymr2 »

PeteP wrote:Sorry. I hadn't noticed that this is an organised club trip. :blush: I thought you were just looking for some tips.
No problem, any ideas or suggestions are always welcome :)

Glen N

Post by Glen N »

Skye would be good,although I think that means different accommodation for a night.

MartinR
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by MartinR »

We're hoping to come up onto this next one (to keep the 'every two year' tradition going).
I don't know if its viable or even worth it for a big group, but I've always wanted to island hop and end up/start at Stornaway. It's an idea at least :th: you never specified it had to be a good en :P haha
2 Highland Drives, 1 Full JAE, 1 Part JAE, 1 France Trip, 1 North Wales Run, 2 Dyno days, 3 Karting Events, 1 Scotland Meet, countless Yorkshire Meets and even more Northwest Meets later... Im MR2-less, for now!

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Glen N wrote:Skye would be good,although I think that means different accommodation for a night.
+1 on Skye

If it's do-able starting from Ullapool then we wouldn't need different accomodation. Should that be the case then I put forward the following for discussion. It's a 'starter for ten' and completely off the top of my head atm - I haven't checked any of the mileages or timings for feasibility. The whole thing is 'anti-clockwise' compared with this year's run.

Thursday night - meet up at Travelodge Broxden Junction Perth. This will give us Sassenachs something different to ponder on for a route up - for example the (Red) Devil's Beef Tub.
:)

Friday - to Ullapool
Crieff-Aberfeldy-Pitlochry-Braemar-Ballater (lunch?)-Tomintoul-Grantown-Cawdor-Culloden-Inverness (fuel for the Mk2 turbos)-Struie Hill-Bonar Bridge-Ledmore Junction-Ullapool.

Saturday - Northern Loop
Ullapool-Lairg-Altnaharra-Strath Naver-Tongue-Durness (lunch)-Kylesku-Lochinver-Inchnadamph-Ullapool.

Sunday - Skye
Ullapool-Garve-Achnasheen-Strathcarron-Kyle of Lochalsh-Broadford-Uig-Portree (lunch?)-Broadford-Kylerhea-Glenelg (via ferry)-Shiel Bridge-Lochcarron-Torridon-Kinlochewe (possible diversion to Loch Maree viewpoint)-Gairloch-Breamore Junction-Ullapool.

Monday - back to Perth
Ullapool-Garve-Muir of Ord-Beauly (V-Power for the turbos)-Drumnadrochit (via A831 or A833)-Fort Augustus (lunch?)-Fort William-Glencoe-Kinlochleven-Crianlarich-Crieff-Perth Broxden Junction.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Glen N

Post by Glen N »

i think im heading back up north in july so ill maybe try some different routes and report back,we had planned john o groats/thurso and durness one of the days

Ripley
Years of MR2 Ownership: 22
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Ripley »

TonyleFrog wrote:
Glen N wrote:Skye would be good,although I think that means different accommodation for a night.
+1 on Skye

If it's do-able starting from Ullapool then we wouldn't need different accomodation. Should that be the case then I put forward the following for discussion. It's a 'starter for ten' and completely off the top of my head atm - I haven't checked any of the mileages or timings for feasibility. The whole thing is 'anti-clockwise' compared with this year's run.

Thursday night - meet up at Travelodge Broxden Junction Perth. This will give us Sassenachs something different to ponder on for a route up - for example the (Red) Devil's Beef Tub.
:)

Friday - to Ullapool
Crieff-Aberfeldy-Pitlochry-Braemar-Ballater (lunch?)-Tomintoul-Grantown-Cawdor-Culloden-Inverness (fuel for the Mk2 turbos)-Struie Hill-Bonar Bridge-Ledmore Junction-Ullapool.

Saturday - Northern Loop
Ullapool-Lairg-Altnaharra-Strath Naver-Tongue-Durness (lunch)-Kylesku-Lochinver-Inchnadamph-Ullapool.

Sunday - Skye
Ullapool-Garve-Achnasheen-Strathcarron-Kyle of Lochalsh-Broadford-Uig-Portree (lunch?)-Broadford-Kylerhea-Glenelg (via ferry)-Shiel Bridge-Lochcarron-Torridon-Kinlochewe (possible diversion to Loch Maree viewpoint)-Gairloch-Breamore Junction-Ullapool.

Monday - back to Perth
Ullapool-Garve-Muir of Ord-Beauly (V-Power for the turbos)-Drumnadrochit (via A831 or A833)-Fort Augustus (lunch?)-Fort William-Glencoe-Kinlochleven-Crianlarich-Crieff-Perth Broxden Junction.
Nice one Froggie :th: . Peter and I had already thought on the Thursday night at Broxden. Getting to Ullapool is easy and some nice roads. Its trying to get to Skye from Ullapool that poses a problem. I reckon about 2.1/2 - 3hrs drive to get there then round Skye then the same time back. I think its do-able but it will mean an early start.

Keep the ideas coming folks :clapping:

Save the bunnies!

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

All but the last 3-4 miles of the first section - Ullapool-Garve-Achnasheen-Strathcarron (68 miles) - uses, IIRC, probably the fastest roads in the whole of the Highlands. I reckon 75 minutes would be easily achievable. Strathcarron to Portree (54 miles) would, ;m guessing, be around 70 minutes. With one 5-10 minute break en route I think two and half hours sounds about right.

The afternoon leg would be much longer and on slower roads. It would make a nice contrast to the morning dash though. It guess it depends on what time we need to be back in Ullapoool for our evening meal.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Glen N

Post by Glen N »

Those routes look good I think,and including Skye will be great

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Pete - very tempted to do 2014 as well as 2015 looking at those routes :clapping:
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
toymr2

Post by toymr2 »

peteV6R5 wrote:Pete - very tempted to do 2014 as well as 2015 looking at those routes :clapping:
Happy to add your name Pete :)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Highland Drive 2014”