Mk2 - my sill restoration experience

eringobragh
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Save your Mk2 - my sill restoration experience

Post by eringobragh »

....with the dry weather I decided to finish rust proofing the rest of the sills

There is 4 drain plug holes each side, they can be tricky to remove if you jam in a thin screw driver and jiggle and wedge it you can - I managed to get mine all out and back in without braking them but if you manage to break them the part number is 90950-01327 and Toyota tell me they are €1.72 - Linders Chapelizod have never had one in stock anyway!

I injected rest of the sills again with Dynax S50, it's tube attachment is ideal for 360degree coverage...I ran out half way through the passenger side, but have used this alot with the rear arches and the sill cavities internally. Ordered another can of the stuff as it's preventatie maintenance worth doing.

You'll need to lay carpet or something down as the dynax creeps through every joing - also reinstalling the plastic drain plug holes , a rubber mallet gets them back in nice and tight.

Dynaxed part of the sill lip that was jacked up in the wrong place by a previous owner

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

That information should be in KY2 :th:
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

Protok wrote:That information should be in KY2 :th:
x2 I discovered this potential issue through this site. Thankfully my mr2 only lived for 4 years in the UK

I've highlighted with the Irish MR2 owners as well (linking back here, credit where credits due :th: ):

http://www.mr2.ie/mr2-forum/8-performan ... -our-sills

Topic author
rob

Post by rob »

If you remove your side intake covers and the bracket that holds the rubber duct in place you can peel it back and get your Dynax wand right into the parts of the sill that you can't reach through the rear sill plug!

eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

cheers rob will look at that when the next can of dynax arrives :)

eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

rob wrote:If you remove your side intake covers and the bracket that holds the rubber duct in place you can peel it back and get your Dynax wand right into the parts of the sill that you can't reach through the rear sill plug!
Hey rob is that the same are thats accessible from the seat belt internally (where the foam lies) or is it a completely different part

Topic author
rob

Post by rob »

^ Nope, that's internal, the bit I'm on about is the cavity between the metal arch liner at the rear of the car and back end of the sills. It is a really good place to protect!

Will try and get some pics up of me doing that area....

Topic author
Alex687

Post by Alex687 »

eringobragh wrote:I injected rest of the sills again with Dynax S50, it's tube attachment is ideal for 360degree coverage..
Does that attachment come with the can of the stuff? where do you get it from?

eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

rob wrote:^ Nope, that's internal, the bit I'm on about is the cavity between the metal arch liner at the rear of the car and back end of the sills. It is a really good place to protect!

Will try and get some pics up of me doing that area....
Cheers lad, I'll get on it next time Im at this lark - looked over the thread and its nearly a year since I first started this! :no: ...the more I read about other places, I get the dynax in there :th: .
Alex687 wrote:
eringobragh wrote:I injected rest of the sills again with Dynax S50, it's tube attachment is ideal for 360degree coverage..
Does that attachment come with the can of the stuff? where do you get it from?
Yep it sure does - I got it from an Irish Supplier called http://www.cleancar.ie

a quick google brings me to this UK supplier:

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/bilt ... 750ml.aspx

worth getting as the waxoyl stuff is old news now ;)

Topic author
rob

Post by rob »

No worries, at least we are at the forefront of protecting the Mk2 rather than let it develop unseen for many more years!

eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

rob wrote:No worries, at least we are at the forefront of protecting the Mk2 rather than let it develop unseen for many more years!
Prevention is better then the cure :th: :clapping:

Topic author
jdash

Post by jdash »

Tubby has gone in for some serious surgery today. Both sills, one inner wheel arch, boot floor and all around the windscreen/A-pillars. It's a local garage and I'd previously gone in to speak to the welder and let him have a look. He spent a good 25 mins looking around the car and seemed happy to draw up a plan. I then disappeared for a while not wanting to take the car off the road and came back but my (very competitive) quote was still good. I've left him a digital camera to take some photos of the work at various stages and hopefully if the camera works I will have some pics of the work to put up here and in the folder with the receipt. I'm scared. It seems like most of the work they do is on black cabs but if structurally my car is sound afterwards I'm then saving up for a respray along with some skirts. Hopefully some pics to follow :gulp:

Topic author
fenton1

Post by fenton1 »

Unfortunately these cars really do rust from the inside out. Am restoring my rev1 at the moment which involves both sills being repaired plus the bottom of the rear wheel arch. My sills were originals with just a slight rust scab on one side...the car has been off the road for 5 years. I was shocked what was hiding beneath what was a perfectly solid outer sill! I've posted my project on a different site...if there is interest I will post here. Have a step by step guide to repair including an easy way to form the new sill so it matches the old one plus repair of the inner sill piece so it looks like the factory inner arch. If you are going for the rust protection I'd suggest you remove the rubber bung in the rear arches just in front of the strut and to get in there too. On mine I could see a small trail of corrosion so I definitely think water is getting in and running down the rear chassis rails...possibly then falling into the sill.

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by stuMR2lee »

Definitely interested in your sill repair post. Seems to be affecting many of our cars.

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”