DIY data logging - ordered some parts to play with

the place to discus in car computers
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: DIY data logging - ordered some parts to play with

Post by jimi »

just checked and was in MK2/Tech, it is either last post or last view, frequency for both is 365 days, ie if it's not viewed or posted on in 365 days it gets pruned. If you really want stuff kept you should either submit it to KY2 or put in in "MK2 Useful Information" (or the equivalent MK1/MK3 forums) which isn't auto pruned ;)

PS
Don't edit the link, when I get a chance I'll have a look and see if it still exists in the database, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Chris_D
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Chris_D »

I viewed it yesterday, and it worked then.

Topic author
shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

jimi wrote:just checked and was in MK2/Tech, it is either last post or last view, frequency for both is 365 days, ie if it's not viewed or posted on in 365 days it gets pruned. If you really want stuff kept you should either submit it to KY2 or put in in "MK2 Useful Information" (or the equivalent MK1/MK3 forums) which isn't auto pruned ;)

PS
Don't edit the link, when I get a chance I'll have a look and see if it still exists in the database, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.
My exasperation wasn't that it had gone but that I'd viewed it last night when I posted the link :no:

TBH I needed to update the thread with all the info now I've decided not to try producing a product out of it so maybe a new thread is in order..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Topic author
shinny

Post by shinny »

Moved this thread into the Carputers section... it seems more appropriate :th:

Topic author
shinny

Post by shinny »

Can't say I've made much progress since my last update. What time I put into it over the weekend was aimed squarely at trying to read the rotary encoder reliably. However I must have bought a really awful component because the contacts bounce so much I simply cannot read the thing correctly, however much I try to de-bounce in software. I even tried to use two external interrupt pins (I can only afford one, because of the other 5, 2 are blocked by the I2C interface and the other three are needed for speed, revs and injector duty) but to no avail.

Thus I've gone back to my original plan to use a small joystick. So I've connected an analogue joystick instead (just like those found on an xBox controller) which will suffice for the moment. In fact it gives me more freedom when creating menu screens, but from an ease-of-use perspective that may or may not be a good thing. (Menuing I generally bad for things you need to alter quickly while driving)

AManInDandism

Post by AManInDandism »

Very interesting. You've got tempted to try something similar with the Raspberry Pi.

Topic author
shinny

Post by shinny »

AManInDandism wrote:Very interesting. You've got tempted to try something similar with the Raspberry Pi.
I've never used the Raspberrry Pi; the fact that it runs Linux and therefore spends time booting is a negative in my mind. The arduino is up and running in 3-4 seconds, and it's only that slow because I'm still using the USB interface to load the firmware and therefore the board waits for new firmware when powered on before switching to running my code. Even that time can be removed by loading the program directly to the flash, making it instant on. That might not be a big issue when it comes to data logging, but my plans beyond that won't sit well with a booting up OS. Also, the Pi also lacks an RTC, which is a must for a data logger IMHO. Still, those issues aside, I'd suspect a Pi hooked up to an RTC and a TFT would do a much prettier job of displaying stuff provided you can read all the inputs ok :th:

AManInDandism

Post by AManInDandism »

If I was to install a board, I'd want to get the most out of it as I could then ditch my ridiculous headunit. The Pi shouldn't take too long to boot, but I see where you're coming from. I'll be watching this with bated breath.

Topic author
shinny

Post by shinny »

Actually, the RPi doesn't have an ADC. Seeing as pretty much all the sensors you're reading are analogue signals (bar interrupt drive code required for speed, revs and injector duty) you will have to use an external ADC too.

So in going Pi over Arduino you're gaining Python instead of C, a potentially better display and a built in SD card, at the expense of having to add an external ADC and a slower boot time. It doesn't sound like much of a win to me unless you want to build a nice VGA display over a simpler character or graphic LCD / OLED display.

Rergarding ADC, you might find this post: http://www.rpiblog.com/2012/11/reading- ... -pins.html
Don't get excited - although a number of the sensors you're reading are resistance based sensors, that's not how you should treat them. The ECU is already using them as part of a potential divider, so to pick up from the engine's stock sensors you must be using a high impedance ADC.

You might also attmept something like this: http://www.rpiblog.com/2012/11/interfac ... ry-pi.html
That's better, but most of the signals you're reading are 0-5V, and the article notes that you can't feed more than 3.3V into the chip because the Pi is a 3.3V device. That therefore just adds another complication the Arduino shouldn't have.

Edit: Just seen you're thinking about audio too. That does somewhat swing the argument a little. However it might be simpler to get a Arduino to do the actual measuring and then send the data to the Pi via some serial protocol. (Just a thought) that said, in the past I've thought long and hard about ditching head units but the work required to reproduce the functionality of one is hard to justify. If you don't like your headunit, I'd just buy another one personally. :blush:

AManInDandism

Post by AManInDandism »

I love my headunit, but I'm sick of it losing settings any time I disconnect the battery. It takes a long time to scan any USB device or DVD and always starts at track 1 :facepalm:

The Arduino certainly seems like the best choice to monitor temps and such. It doesn't really matter to me what language is used, but Python is one language I have only briefly touched.

I think I'll wait to see how you get on with monitoring, and go for the Pi as a general car computer. Saves me the trouble of working it all out :rolleyes:

Topic author
shinny

Post by shinny »

AManInDandism wrote:I love my headunit, but I'm sick of it losing settings any time I disconnect the battery. It takes a long time to scan any USB device or DVD and always starts at track 1 :facepalm:
I don't understand why stereo manufacturers haven't started using NVRAM for the settings :facepalm:

You could find a small 12V battery and place it as a tank battery across the always live feed on the stereo (with a diode to stop it trying to power the rest of the car). In fact that's a rather tempting idea to do myself :blush:
AManInDandism wrote:I think I'll wait to see how you get on with monitoring, and go for the Pi as a general car computer. Saves me the trouble of working it all out :rolleyes:
I don't blame you... :laughing

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

This may be of some help to those with OBDII though there is mention of getting it to work with OBD.
http://www.mr2.com/forums/beams-owners- ... m-ecu.html
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

Topic author
shinny

Post by shinny »

Protok wrote:This may be of some help to those with OBDII
http://www.mr2.com/forums/beams-owners- ... m-ecu.html
Torque etc. is very nice is you have OBDII. This has made me wonder if any ST205 was made with OBDII, because if I can get a matching ECU with OBDII then I suspect this project will grind to a halt :laughing

I'm reasonably sure that ECU won't exist though:

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=87304
i asked dr.tweak once about a usdm 3s-gte in my '99 with obd2, and he told me that toyota never made an obd2 3s-gte. which is probably why they stopped bringing the mr2 to the states after 95.
Protok wrote:though there is mention of getting it to work with OBD.
What is OBD?? No such thing exists AFAIK... prior to OBDII there was no single standard for diagnostics, so the term is really refers to a jumble of standards used by different manufacturers prior to OBDII. Just because there's a '2' in OBD2 / OBDII doesn't mean it's the second version of some common OBD1 standard :no:

Topic author
shinny

Post by shinny »

This has given me another idea, though... you could get the data logger to automatically read trouble codes for you. It would have to short out the diags pin just like putting the paper clip in the diags socket and then 'read' the flashes in the same way you do by eye... but once done it could display codes and their meanings directly on the screen and even automatically clear them for you.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Carputers”