Mk2 - my sill restoration experience

Topic author
fenton1

Re: Save your Mk2 - my sill restoration experience

Post by fenton1 »

Here is a link to the project I mentioned...I formed the sill repairs using a sheet of steel with a flange bent in it...clipped this to the existing sill and then just roll the shape around the existing sill using my feet! In my case on the drivers side the rear was too far gone...but it works just as well using the sill under the door. Saved me having to buy toyota repair sections...the idea came to me as I was searching the garage for something the same shape as the mr2 sill...then I realised there was something exactly the right shape...still on the car!! Have moved the project onto the passenger side but the technique is the same.

Hopefully the link won't get removed...if I get a chance I may also post on this site as it worked really well...I had the sill formed in 10 minutes from a sheet of 1.2mm steel - it was that easy. Hope this helps save a few more of these fantastic cars.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/show ... hp?t=40615

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by stuMR2lee »

Great write-up and great work. Welding & fabrication is definitely a skill.

Topic author
fenton1

Post by fenton1 »

Cheers mate...believe it or not this is the first car repair I've ever done so shows it is possible...did a lot of thinking through. The passenger side is going a lot quicker now I've stopped worrying and started enjoying.

Topic author
GMLive

Post by GMLive »

Some professional looking work on the 1st page, I had to do this my wife's gen 2 Celica last winter, what I thought was a simple plate weld turned into 2 days work, the seat belt anchorage was totally rusted out, I must of been halfway into the floor pan before the rust had stopped. :facepalm:

I have a Import NA and sills were solid no rust, my 2 came from japan in 2003 and spend it's life in a garage and never used, I'm the first UK owner who's give it any real use in 10 years, I;ve got a compressor and I hooked up my waxoil gun to it when I had the car and blast the "censored" off the underside and in though the seals, wheal arches, if you want to keep you 2's folks then it needs to be done every year and always do it on a hot day.

Topic author
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

Ive just spent the weekend covering the lip of the sill in POR15, found the jacking points on the lip had started to rust a little. Also while i was at it i painted in the rear arch where it meets the sill (fortunately rust free). Then today Ive overcoated the POR15 with 2 coats of hammerite as POR15 will discolour in the sun. The POR15 really does set rock hard.

Then checked the inside of the sill, so far just looks like some surface rust in there, i would like to get some POR15 in there but it will be a PITA with a paint brush so might have to give the Dynax S50 a go.

Topic author
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

Opie Oils sell the Dynax S50 and they have 20% off until this evening, they often have 20% deals to be honest but £25.42 delivered for 2 cans.

Topic author
1994GT

Post by 1994GT »

***HELP***

New to owning an MR2 had it 2 weeks only had run of the mill cars until now and decided to go for something that would give me a bit of a thrill to drive which she has delivered so far. up until I had her mot'd the weekend just gone.

She's a 1994 2000GT not sure what engine Is in her but any advice would be great.

she failed the mot on 2 things.... the outer skins of the sills are rotten all the way down and have been plated several times so I am looking to replace them entirely and start a fresh but need some advice as to were to buy the outer skins from and if you can buy outer skins complete....

the second is my front drivers side suspension top mount is heavily corroded and also the cup it sits looks pretty tired as well so looking to replace these too. I really want to restore her first and then work on styling her how I want her but still looking as slick as ever so any advice anyone can give me about anything to do with parts...identifying the engine type...absolutely anything...fill me with information.

regards

Justin (1994GT)

Topic author
fenton1

Post by fenton1 »

Hi Justin....take a look at the link further up the page....I did a similiar repair. Unfortunately the outer "complete" sills aren't available from Mr T....they do sell small sections which you can join together but to be honest its a lot cheaper to make your own I think (guide to doing this in the link). To be honest my sills weren't too bad from the outside but once opened up they turned out to be a bit of a mare....the drivers side seemed worse to be honest ....dunno if this is a general trend or car specific. If you do go the diy route then you'll need a descent welder but it is doable....this was my first project.

Topic author
jodydid

Post by jodydid »

checked mine today drivers side foam totally dry very small rust scabs but the passenger side is alot worse

step by step what is the best plan of action?? its still damp in there

i guess it needs to be dried out first i have ordered some kurust and some Dynax S50

Topic author
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

If it's wet there will be rust, but the problem is determining how much/how bad. You might try poking an endoscope of some description in there. The USB ones on eBay are probably cheapest (work with a laptop). Like this for example.

If there's anything close to perforation (be it of the inner or outer sill) no amount of Kurust or Dynax will help -- needs welding.

Topic author
jodydid

Post by jodydid »

i shoved my phone in there its not that bad just the sponge was damp and the surface rust was damp i will give it a week without the foam in there then re asses

Topic author
Artiz

Post by Artiz »

I had a crack at checking my sills over the festive breaks and on the passenger side I was faced with this...

Am i right in thinking the sponge everybody refers to is the one below the silver square box thing? Access is a bit tight getting in there, my hand will never fit in there without moving things out the way.

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Save your Mk2 - my sill restoration experience

Post by stuMR2lee »

Yes, below the amp. Use a long screwdriver to lever it up then pull it out. Remove the seat belt mechanism if you have to.

Topic author
Artiz

Post by Artiz »

Cheers buddy! Will try again over the weekend & take pics if I can squeeze my phone in there.

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”