oil oil everywhere

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
carl_rowlinson
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

oil oil everywhere

Post by carl_rowlinson »

So the mr2 is getting some tlc ready for this years planed mods, as i have had some odd clutch slip reacently i thought i should investergate.

It seems i have a leaky driveshaft oil seal, could this be spraying the clutch? (i only get the clutch slip when its cold)

Also the sump is leaking, is this a new gasket or some sort of silicone job?

The car is a 1993 mk2 rev 2

salfordimp

Re: oil oil everywhere

Post by salfordimp »

The sump is a silicone job. if you search the threads you will find what exact stuff it is. I recently replaced my sump, the hardest job is cleaning of the old sealant to ensure you get a clean new fit.

madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

You can get a cork gasket off eBay now! I fitted one after a couple of meticulous efforts with silicone failed, not leaked a drop since!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by stuMR2lee »

+1 on the cork gasket for rev1 & 2's. I also smeared each side of the gasket with a bit of Loctite 5920 sealant for extra security. OK so far.

GazRev1Tubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8

Post by GazRev1Tubby »

I used a cork gasket once, it eventually started leaking where the oil seeped through it.
My advice, just get a tube of loctite 5910 rtv sealant from halfords, clean the old stuff off the block and sump with a stanley/razor blade, and apply a generous helping of sealant around the perimeter of the sump. Obviously give everything a good clean with thinners/petrol first

Sent from my HTC One_mate using Tapatalk
1996 BPU Supra TT ;)
The deuce will surely be missed, until the second turbo comes online :th:

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

oil oil everywhere

Post by stuMR2lee »

Yes Gaz, I was in two minds about using the cork gasket on the Rev2 Tubby after reading lots of pros & cons on the inter web. That's why I went with the combined approach in the end. Taking the sump off I could see it had very little sealant previously!

In hindsight, I agree, if you are confident laying down a decent amount of consistent 5910 gasket sealant it'll be fine. That's what's on my Rev3 engined Tubby.

Martin F
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by Martin F »

carl_rowlinson wrote: It seems i have a leaky driveshaft oil seal, could this be spraying the clutch? (i only get the clutch slip when its cold)
Nope, the clutch is in the bell housing which is (nearly) totally encased. It could be that you have a leaky rear crankshaft seal.

FastFord
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by FastFord »

Just wanted to comment as im looking at replacing my sump shortly too.

Ive always known sumps to be resealed with a gasket, a bead of silicone is ok - obviously not ideal if the seal in question is under pressure ! But as an oil sump id much rather have an old fashioned gasket seal ! Its alot simpler, your gurrentted to have an even seal, that is good to go once the sump is back up ! Silicone youve got curing times etc to think about plus you want an even bead, with no gaps etc - its easy to get it a little wrong and cause you alot more problems when it comes to refilling with oil and you find you have a tiny leak where it hasnt sealed perfectly.
" Roof OFF Grin ON " ... Nothing says Im having a Midlife Crisis better than a T-Bar ! lol :D

fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

FastFord wrote: Ive always known sumps to be resealed with a gasket, a bead of silicone is ok - obviously not ideal if the seal in question is under pressure ! But as an oil sump id much rather have an old fashioned gasket seal !

Well, maybe. But just about all manufacturers have long switched to silicone for sumps and even water pumps. With a decent applicator, an even bead shouldn't be an issue. We started using it on the Fulvia cam covers way back in the 80s because the original ones were carp -- I messed up once and was lucky to get the ensuing oil fire out in time.

One disadvantage (apart from the cure time) is that it can be a lot harder to remove a sump sealed with silicone than with a conventional gasket.

GazRev1Tubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8

Post by GazRev1Tubby »

Squeezing a decent bead of sealant around a sump, isn't difficult. In fact, I'd wager a chimp on lsd could probably manage it.

It doesn't matter what it looks like, as it's not seen anyway. As long as you apply a decent amount, and don't leave any gaps, it'll be fine.

Also, with regards to setting times, you don't need to worry. The sump to block should be an almost tight fit dry, so the sealant will fill any slight gaps. It's not like there's gaping great holes where the sealant needs to fully cure. My point is, it'll be ready to drive an hour or so after applying it, and it should be good forever, with no crappy gaskets to fail

Sent from my HTC One_mate using Tapatalk
1996 BPU Supra TT ;)
The deuce will surely be missed, until the second turbo comes online :th:

Glen N

Post by Glen N »

I had the sump off my rev 1 turbo and as gaz says sealant works perfectly as long as you prep both surfaces correctly. I also bought replacement nuts from eBay. It was an easy enough job and never had an issue after that.

adenbakker
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by adenbakker »

With a little oil seeping past the seal of my SW20 (1991), I plan to renew this. Is loctite 5910 rtv the best sealant or are there there better options? And how much sealant would be needed (the loctite 5910 sealant is available in various volumes, eg. 80-100-300ml)
Thanks, Andrew

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

The main sources of oil leaks on mine are the camshaft oil seals and the biggest problem years ago was the internal oil seal in the distributor. The valve cover gasket also eventually hardens and leaks. Just checked the screws holding mine down the other day and one screw was loose.

It looks like its coming out the sump but its not. Typically its the seals all over the engine. The sump is just the lowest point so any oil leaks just end up there.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”