Silverstone Taster Sessions - 6th March Photos + Videos

The home for all your pictures and videos of MR2OC meets and events.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Silverstone Taster Sessions - 6th March Photos + Videos

Post by shinny »

I'm assured my car spits metre-long flames on the overrun... but I don't feature on any of the videos posted (with the exception of when I was in the gravel).

One day I'll get to see evidence of this flameage myself, but it appears not this time :facepalm:

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

shinny wrote:I'm assured my car spits metre-long flames on the overrun... but I don't feature on any of the videos posted (with the exception of when I was in the gravel).

One day I'll get to see evidence of this flameage myself, but it appears not this time :facepalm:
Believe me yours and Jims flame quite a lot :clapping:

Jim, at 18:50 I was told to hold the corner and line. You gave me a look of disbelief. He told me to do it though lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qav4szBu4ms

(I went a bit hot into the straight and my brakes were starting to fade at that point at the corner before :blush: )

Nice lines bud, I got mine all right through Luffield and then all wrong lol :facepalm:

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by dawesy »

Oh yeah Mark yours is pretty flamey
Shame the cam wasn't on for the first half of the first session.
I'll look at the second session vid. May have some flames on that.
I was only hearing loud pops from mine [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

romford.dan
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by romford.dan »

Yeah it was flaming like a goodun on the pit straight but I missed it every time with my camera!!

No offence taken Woody, 80kg is pretty reserved :D

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by shinny »

dawesy wrote:Oh yeah Mark yours is pretty flamey
Shame the cam wasn't on for the first half of the first session.
I'll look at the second session vid. May have some flames on that.
I was only hearing loud pops from mine [emoji20]

I was definitely seeing some flames on during the first run. Pity I don't have the footage to show you :(

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

I must have flame footage I reckon. I'll have a look tonight if I remember :th:
Cars suck donkey balls

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Howlin_Mad wrote:
Believe me yours and Jims flame quite a lot :clapping:

Jim, at 18:50 I was told to hold the corner and line. You gave me a look of disbelief. He told me to do it though lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qav4szBu4ms

(I went a bit hot into the straight and my brakes were starting to fade at that point at the corner before :blush: )

Nice lines bud, I got mine all right through Luffield and then all wrong lol :facepalm:

HM
i wouldnt expect anyone to not hold their line on the corners to be honest, after all, there isnt ment to be any overtaking on them anyways.
i wanted to put power down a little sooner though having rewatched that time you mention, ha.

you didnt mention Lee, his flamed on every gear change! ha
check the same vid from 22:30 onwards! literally every single change theres a fireball.
:yahoo:
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
Woody928
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Woody928 »

Howlin_Mad wrote: Nice Instructor video Mark, mine told me exactly the same regarding track positioning around the corners, albeit I think your instructor was a little more relaxed lol :laughing

There were a couple of sections of track I didn't realise I would be taking corners as they instructed, but hey ho, that's why they are the professionals I guess lol

HM
Cheers man, glad to hear the advice was at least consistent! Aha what was your like by comparison then?

I must admit I benefited quite a lot from having him in the car, like yourself there were places where I would've chosen the completely wrong line. In my video going from Brooklands to Luffield you'll see me dive down the inside to the right, whereas generally people go to the left and very wide before sweeping in. I agreed with other peoples line until he told me otherwise, and now reviewing it does make sense....

I've always found it an eye opening experience having an instructor in with me on any track, their knowledge is far superior as you would expect but they do get the best out of you. The instructor I had works for a company called Dragon Racing, usually driving Ferrari 458 Italia's and 488 GTB's out in Dubai! having spent time in the TVR championship over here and a whole CV of other bits so he certainly should have known his stuff! :laughing

http://www.dragonracing88.com/about/
romford.dan wrote: No offence taken Woody, 80kg is pretty reserved :D
I was averaging between you and the instructor :cheeky:
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

strangely with no cars infront of me i generally took that line, though hugged the curb the whole way as opposed to doing a "V" like your instructor said.

but when i had cars infront i wanted to get around on the up coming pit straight, i went around the outside away from the curb to show my "intensions", lol. plus, not as if i could overtake on the inside anyways.
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

jimGTS wrote:you didnt mention Lee, his flamed on every gear change! ha
check the same vid from 22:30 onwards! literally every single change theres a fireball.
:yahoo:
He doesn't even need to be moving to do that. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpSdPoF-_ZE
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by dawesy »

Wow now I know why I don't get tailgated much [emoji15][emoji91]

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Woody, I think mine did mostly LeMans stuff, but seemed to say exactly the same as your instructor, but got a bit impatient with my poor driving at first (I was terrible tbh), but too much sensory overload until I got into a rythym and could eliminate one by one what I had initially tried to figure out and then just do second nature if that makes sense?

Also found out the cause of my lack of braking power today. One of the hoses split very slightly, weeped brake fluid over one of the front discs and pads, boiled the brake fluid and glazed the pads on both fronts. The fluid that came out of the calipers was black apparently :shocked:

All sorted now, and we can stop again lol, but might have to re-think my brake setup if driving on track in anger again! The damn brake lines looked fine and have never been an MOT advisory, but were the only part I didn't replace recently on my brake overhaul.

HM

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

I'll try and recall what my instructor said for the lap from the start straight.

Flat out in 4th, don't bother changing to 5th as you will save time just keep it on the limiter and slow slightly for Copse. Brake a little but keep it in 4th and skim the inside of the corner but stay wide to the left afterwards.

Move to the right side of the track inside the white line gradually and ease of power slightly and get the car settled in a straight line for Maggots.

Dab the brakes to get the nose to dive a little and dive into the left kerb at Maggots and slam on the anchors as soon as you are aiming straight for the inside of Becketts whilst dropping to 3rd.

Moderate throttle around Becketts and once you see the straight, whack on the power and let the car drift wide to the left of the straight, and ease towards the right under the passover.

At the entrance to the corner at the end of the straight (sorry forgotten the name), keep to the outside and look for the large hangar to the left, turn into the kerbing towards it and then dive as fast as possible for the inside of Luffield changing to 3rd. Moderate the throttle and swing out to the left and change to 4th when you can and at Woodcote keep the throttle off slightly until you pass the 4th post on your right when you can open the taps again.

I did none of that until Gavdavs spun off and I had time to take it in, and still didn't do it all correctly in one lap :laughing

I gave it a damn good though :D

HM

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

The corner whose name you have forgotten is the only one for which you get a visual clue.
It's written in 3ft high letters on the end wall of the hospitality suite building on the right.
;)

https://youtu.be/N7npXuS6EwE?t=84
https://youtu.be/qav4szBu4ms?t=50
http://www.silverstone.co.uk/venue-trac ... al-circuit
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2OC Event pictures and videos”