7 years and I finally have a MOT

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

7 years and I finally have a MOT

Post by chaos19810 »

Hi I'm just looking for people that have owned a mk1.5 I'm thinking that it's been a while since I've done a project and as life has settled I am now in the situation where I could start something.

I have a rev5 with a rev3 tubby engine to take all the electronics and running gear and brakes from I am wondering if anyone has done the conversion, how did you find it? Also is there anyone out there with a mk1.5 willing to take me out for a spin so I can see what it is like?

I know there is a Paul woods guide out there somewhere but every link I find from older post is broken or the article is no longer there.
Last edited by chaos19810 on 07/03/22 22:34, edited 28 times in total.

Topic author
chaos19810

Re: The mr2 is going to be going

Post by chaos19810 »

After a lot of thought I realise I've become a victim of my own success and the fact the 2 works really well and nothing has broken or need replacing means I'm a little bored of it. So I've decided to start a new project as I've almost forgotten to swear at a car.

I will once September arrives be selling or selling as parts my rev5 tubby and building a Mr2 mk1.5 so still in the fold but just taking a different route plus I feel like a moreI in-depth project
Mr2 G limited (gt-s engine) broken but fun
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits
Mr2 gt 170bhp - with the parents
http://mr2turbo.wordpress.com/
If its broken hit it with a hammer if its still broken get a bigger hammer

andyroo
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 15

Re: The mr2 is going to be going

Post by andyroo »

Pistolpete owned one for sometime but unsure whether he is on here but I know he frequents imoc.
MR2 MK3 Silver 56
Mercedes E220 2016
Lexus IS300H 2014

Topic author
chaos19810

Re: So it begins again.....

Post by chaos19810 »

So it begins again 'be just started my new project, I've been a bit quiet on here recently but I've been doing alot of reading and trying to fix my supposedly reliable boxster :ranting1:.

I am going ahead with my mk1.5 conversion it's taken a little while to decide why I am actually building this and what I want it to do. After a lot of thought I've decided I want the car to be fast, very fast into the 11 second 1/4 mile time region, faster would be nicer but we will see. So this is going to take some serious thinking about.

I'm going to be using my rev3 tubby engine which use to make 300hp at the wheels but I don't think that alone is going to be powerful enough so it's going to need improving on, how that's going to happen I haven't decided yet but it's going to be forged piston, different turbo, new ecu and injectors.

So the car went in to workshop, big thanks to seanred for arranging for me to use his workshop, things are so much nicer when your not getting rained on, it began with starting to strip the engine so it can come out, once it's out I can get to cutting the mounts out and then let the welding begin. At the end of this the car will not have any rust on it!! Until it hits the road again for the first time.

I'm sure as I progress along I will have questions so please feel free to chip in and tell how to do things better and it's nice to be back the mr2 fold again :th:
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by stuMR2lee »

Good luck Andy. Sounds like a fun project. Yes, a workshop at this time of year is a massive bonus.

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by jimGTS »

chaos19810 wrote:
my rev3 tubby engine which use to make 300hp at the wheels
at the wheels??

i thought it barely broke 300 flywheel?
did you ever get your 12.9 in the car?

i cracked a 12.5 few months back!

in a mk1, im sure a turbo upgrade on a stock rev3 engine would get you quite close to low 12s. injectors and ecu may well get you to 11s without the need for a full forged rebuild. so a simple setup if your engine is good.
assuming you can get off the line well, ie dedicated drag wheels and drop even more weight from the mk1, a high 11 should be possible.

i dont think it would take a great deal to get it there, not consistently, but with the right launch, may well do!
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

Actually You might be right there? The cars already been stripped at the previous owner used it in the Toyota sprint series, I think I might keep it in its stripped out state. Wheel wise I'm going to see what out there but it's the width I'm trying to work out what will and won't fit, in the end I will be going to see Paul woods and getting the wide arches if he is still doing them once I finish. I will be using a road legal slick I just need to once again start doing some research on what sizes I can get and what people recommend
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

So another Sunday and another day on the MK1 today's goal was to get the engine on the ground, I didn't make that goal today I had issues with the captive nuts on the subframe, two of them broke off insideand I had to cut a hole into the where it had broken free to liberate them :ranting1: but it meant I got to use my new grinder so it wasn't a total lost. So next Sunday it will be out and ready to go to its new owner and I can start some serious grinding and when I can't stand it any more strip the dash off and cut out the rust from behind there.
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

The last few weekends have been eventful so the summary is:

So now the rev3 bottom end is now at Hurley Enginering being refurbished and being built up to hopefully built to handle 300-350 and at the same time he took the mk1 engine as well.

Last weekend was horrid my welder broke, due to corroded wire getting jammed, then I smashed my hand with the hammer many many time and managed to get grinder sparks inside my fly and "censored" crack with little or no progress made on the car.

Today after making a real meal over the last few Sunday's of removing the engine mounts I can finally say they are out

The drivers side isn't to bad and I learn't from doing the otherwise first what I needed to do but the passengers side is not as pretty

Between the grinder, chisel and me making a pigs ear of this I ended up with a series of tears, holes and dents I tried for a few hours to smooth this out but the metal was thin and rather that welding the mount onto this thin area wasn't going to work. So I decided to cut the section out and I will weld a patch over it. I think this way will make it stronger than leaving the thin battered metal in.

Now I have a couple of questions for anyone with a mk1.5

What thickness have you made your engine mounts out of?

Do you just weld on to the chassis legs or up the suspension tunnel as well?
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

So another Sunday and another 3 hours spent in the car, today I finally found out why It costs so much to have welding done on the car in a garage, I blew through the the thinner part of the metal so many times and ran out of gas. The patch in in but it needs a bit more finishing before I dare start welding the mounts over it.

On the positive side I managed to get the fuel tank out and out of the way so I can swap the fuel pump over.
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

It's been a little while since I updated this, I've been beavering away learning to weld and discovering the amazing art of fabrication. I'm not any good at it but it's so much fun taking a sheet of metal and turning it into a different shape with more holes and a possible use. I think it will be doing a lot more of this I think [emoji1]

Today's goal was to test fit the engine to make sure that the mounts fitted, they all lined up and that it was strong enough to take weight. I also wanted to see how the mounts would slide I so I could decide where I needed to box them in.

After a restless night dreaming about the engine going through the rear window and my engine mounts snapping off and cracking the gearbox case or squashing me.

So this morning after forgetting to take the mounts to the workshop, the day went much easier than I thought in 20 mins the engine was in the car and fitted into the mounts perfectly. All I can say is a big thank you to Patrick for lending me the jig and Paul wood for making it it made this job so much easier that even I could do it.

So behold here is a rev3 tubby engine hanging in a mk1 :)

Just a cheeky one to show that it wasn't on the ground and it was hanging on the mounts

Unfortunately this is just the spare engine block so it had to be taken out as mine is at Hurley engineering getting reworked and made as good as new if not better. Then I need to decide the turbo set up I want use as I won't be using the ct20b, I will get a new turbo.

So now I need to do the 100 other jobs that need to be done but the biggest hurdle is done. The engine won't be going in for a few months yet, I will be sorting all rust first there is a far bit to do but nothing structural.

Today has been a good car day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
chaos19810

Re: Look there's an engine in operation purple thunder!!!!

Post by chaos19810 »

I think this thread is turning into the monologue of my over active brain dumping info.

Anyway recent progress has been really good, I've had the help of seanred of Mr2oc. But after getting the mounts in and hanging the engine to make sure it all lines up and that it can hold the weight. I kinda lost the love and decided to work on some other areas.

So I went searching for rust and look what I found.

ImageImage

This was just one side the other was much worse as I said I can't than Sean enough as he did all the hard work.

Over a few days I ended up with this

Then finally I could do some thing useful so I got the wax oil out and made a mess

So while the wings were off I decided to have a look and see what condition the radiator and bumper bar looked like. The bumper bar has perfect it must of been changed before I owned the car but the radiator fans had seen better days.

So over the last few days I started to make my own, it's not quite finished yet it's missing two 9 inch holes but they can go in next Sunday, hopefully this will make even more room to fit the charge cooler radiator in and sort the pipework.

So that where I'm up to right now and there seems like there is still a lot of work to do. The plan over the next month or so is to treat any rust I can find on the front of the car and start rebuilding the front of the car up and sorting the pipework for the chargecooler.

But I do have a new addition to the car that needs to added in the future.

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

Al little update to the radiator fan set up I'm making.

Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

Topic author
chaos19810

Post by chaos19810 »

It has been a while since I bored you lovely people with what has been happening with this project. I've been working over the months to get the shell ready and reassemble the car so it actually looks like it might be road worthy one day.

So now it looks like a car I've had to get handy with my fav took the wheel of death and cut some holes.

The above picture is the last major bit of rust on the car to be sorted and as I already have the replacement panel I'm hoping this shouldn't be to hard and I'm hoping to convince seanred to continue practicing his welding on my car.

This leaves me with three projects to go, first replace the fuel pump, second build up the engine and third the wiring.

The fuel pump was easy, no where as hard as I expected and I've updated with a 340lph pump so that should keep enough fuel running to engine :). Then the fun job building the engine.

Now the engine is all built up and ready to go the next job is to bolt the gearbox to it and put it in the car, that's Tuesday job to have it hanging of the home made mounts

No here comes the hard part the wiring and I have a few questions, well two to start this conversion is using a rev3 tubby engine.

First do I need to cut completely off the ECU A plug as well as the N connector?

When doing the wiring for the tvis, vsv and tvsv can I just ignore this part as the rev3 doesn't have it and I am using a ebc?

If I do need to connect this what am I cutting and connecting where.

Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 8 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”