3.0 V6 home build kit?

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: 3.0 V6 home build kit?

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Thanks for that post mate, that covers everything really. ;)

I've always had turboed cars and love the turbo surge. But finding a rev3 clip seems nigh on impossible. :(

I wouldn't worry to much about my hair mate, that packed its bags and left about 20 years ago!

Well those are my principles, and if you don't like them... I have others.

A child of 5 could understand this! Quick, send for a child of 5!

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

BALDYMONSTER wrote: 15/05/17 13:05 I've always had turboed cars and love the turbo surge. But finding a rev3 clip seems nigh on impossible. :(
They are becoming harder to find but they are out there. You're probably better off looking for a shabby complete car that you can strip for parts also. They ARE out there!
BALDYMONSTER wrote: 15/05/17 13:05 I wouldn't worry to much about my hair mate, that packed its bags and left about 20 years ago!
:laughing
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Given that the Rev3 is getting harder to find these days, how achievable is 300 bhp in a rev1 or rev2

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

Do-able but harder work.
Some say the rev1 is a stronger block but how much truth is in that I do not know. The HG will be a weak point, that will want swapping out with an MLS gasket - available from Toyota. The Turbo will run out of puff - Turbo Technics Stage 1 rebuild or swap in a CT20b from a rev3+ .. You'll also run out of fuelling. You could up the fuelling with rev3 injectors and a bit of trick wiring. Plus obviously, once upping the boost you'll need a Fuel Cut Defender. So to sum up

- MLS head gasket
- Stage 1 CT26 rebuild
- Rev3+ injectors (540cc)
- FCD
- Elec Boost Controller

So aside the gasket all bolt on upgrades. Remember though, rev1s are nearing 30 years old ... adding 40% more power would be wise to refresh the engine as much as possible. :th: I know folk have done rev3 ECU conversions to their rev1/2 tubbies - that would be a viable option also - could go full on old-skool and have an Apexi PFC with hand controller :cool1:
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

If I was to run a stand alone ecu or if i could get away with it a piggy back unit, could i see around 230-240bhp from a 1MZ-FE?

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gavsdavs »

BALDYMONSTER wrote: 04/03/18 14:58 If I was to run a stand alone ecu or if i could get away with it a piggy back unit, could i see around 230-240bhp from a 1MZ-FE?
No, not quite. 220 is what you'll get from a 1MZ, I'm not sure using a standalone going to yield that much more over the factory ECU.

You do get a broader torque band which makes it a brisk car without needing to chase BHP highlight figures.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”