Feeling of torque steer

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
dmbm525i

Re: Feeling of torque steer

Post by dmbm525i »

Hi there, many thanks for the interest in the original post. I have been driving the car quite a bit recently. These things can be a bit annoying in so far as I'm not sure it is still there or not ( I know sounds a bit wishy washy). I had my wife push on the rear wheels to see if there was any play. I did hear a click on one of the ball joints but not too much in the way of movement at the ball joint or bush. What I did notice was the rod itself had some flex, maybe that's supposed to be the case. So to cut a long story short I decided to order a set of Hardrace traction rods. They weren't a fortune at £146 delivered. http://www.hardrace.co.uk/hard-race-mr2 ... -2pcs.html. If anyone has experience of fitting and using these I would love to hear your thoughts.

Topic author
dmbm525i

Post by dmbm525i »

A quick up date on the hardrace traction control arms. I fitted the drive's side last night. Not much hassle. I use a draper ball joint remover and the joint came out really easily. I should have had one of these years ago. I took photos of the alignment washer position before removing and I also took a measurement. If your are doing this make sure you tighten the locking nut that is attached to the chassis part of the arm as it is difficult to get a spanner in there when it is in position. I will give further updates on this as I go.

Topic author
dmbm525i

Post by dmbm525i »

Hi there, not sure if anyone is looking at this but I managed to fit the two Hardrace traction rods. They were both really easy to fit. On the initial drive the steering wheel was lining up to the right and the car was driving to the left when i let the steering wheel go. Got home and adjusted both rear wheels to compensate for the change in alignment and that worked a treat. Steering wheel straight and car only very slightly pulling to the left. There is still a slight feeling of torque steer but not sure if I am imagining it which is a good thing. As it happens I don't think the original rods were in bad shape, the bushes were solid looking and the ball joints were tight. I do think they are a bit flexy and this may have contributed to the torque steer problem (just my thoughts so not definitive). I did notice the rear engine/gearbox mount looks tired and I'm wondering if this is having an affect on the rear wheels as the engine loads up and lets off, this and a combination of the flexy original rods?. I will replace this next month depending on cost.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

If you come to a definitive solution with recommended fixes, worth doing a write up guide for the admin to place in know your 2 Mk3 section.
helps others with a guide in KY2 rather than searching through threads and finding they have been pruned.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Post by vinp182 »

Have you had any kind of alignment check done by a professional company after replacing bushes and arms or are you hoping for the best? Maybe I've misread but it seems to me that you are taking random guesses of what's causing the issue and ignoring the advice given

As already stated by others, tyres pressures and having the same make/model of tyre it's crucial with the mk3, as is having the correct geo setup.

Tyre pressures and makes
Visual check on bushes, ball joints, etc
Full geo
Cars suck donkey balls

Topic author
dmbm525i

Post by dmbm525i »

Hi there, my aim is to replace bushes etc on the whole car. The car is on 60k and 14years old so don't expect the bushes to be in fantastic condition although there is no knocking etc. As for alignment I didn't have the car checked, this might be a bit daft. The car is driving and tracking straight. My thinking is that the front bushes aren't in great condition, and when I sort that I will get the car aligned. The car is driving good, the torque steer feel has all but disappeared and yes you are right the tyre pressures do seem to be crucial. The parts I'm changing aren't massive money so not a major stress in that regard. My plan is to replace the front wishbones, I have pillow ball bushes to replace those in the rear hub and I will replace the inner bush on the rear lower arms with some poly bushes. By the time I have that lot replaced that should see the all bushes replaced. My tyres don't match all round. I have matching fronts and matching rears.

Topic author
dmbm525i

Post by dmbm525i »

I just thought I would add that there doesn't seem to be any apparent extra vibration as a result of the spherical ball bush.

jvanzyl
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jvanzyl »

dmbm525i wrote: 22/05/17 22:11 Hi there, my aim is to replace bushes etc on the whole car. The car is on 60k and 14years old so don't expect the bushes to be in fantastic condition although there is no knocking etc. As for alignment I didn't have the car checked, this might be a bit daft. The car is driving and tracking straight. My thinking is that the front bushes aren't in great condition, and when I sort that I will get the car aligned. The car is driving good, the torque steer feel has all but disappeared and yes you are right the tyre pressures do seem to be crucial. The parts I'm changing aren't massive money so not a major stress in that regard. My plan is to replace the front wishbones, I have pillow ball bushes to replace those in the rear hub and I will replace the inner bush on the rear lower arms with some poly bushes. By the time I have that lot replaced that should see the all bushes replaced. My tyres don't match all round. I have matching fronts and matching rears.

I've had all my bushes replaced with polys as my car is a 2001.
In all honesty for our cars as they pass 10 years old I'd say it's a good idea to replace them. The tightening up of the handling and removal of "float" at highways speeds, and the reduction in wheel spin and better braking are all things to look forward to!

I'd suggest trying tyre pressures of 26 front 32 back - and really really seriously consider getting matching tyres all round.. I'd suggest Yoko's. But Toyo Proxes R1 will do absolutely fine 90% of the time. It's only the softer tyre wall that gets annoying when you're really pushing it.

Make sure you have a look at polybush UK and make an effort to check all the locations - some are hard to get to and it's only when taking apart the section will you see the true state of it.

Cheers!

John

Topic author
dmbm525i

Post by dmbm525i »

Hi there John,
I'm thinking the same. I have just purchased a set of second hand front wishbones. My intention is to rebuild them with new ball joints, and poly bushes. It looks like replaement arms are at least £150ish up to about £200ish. MrBen has them at £188 each. New ball joints, and poly bushes will cost about £130 odd. I'll powder coat the arms so all should cost about £200. After that I'll need one set of poly bushes in the rear and put the rose joints that I have into the rear hubs. The tyres are an interesting one and one I will consider.

Topic author
dmbm525i

Post by dmbm525i »

Is there a specific Yokohama you would recommend? I don't drive the car hard but would like to get the correct tyre.

jvanzyl
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jvanzyl »

Well if you don't drive it hard you can get the Toyo Proxes.... at least that way when/if you get an irreparable puncture it doesn't hurt the wallet so much!

The Yokohama's are the AD08 one's. Most folk have them on the more performance orientated 2's.

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

jvanzyl wrote: 08/06/17 22:16

The Yokohama's are the AD08 one's. Most folk have them on the more performance orientated 2's.
Really ?????? :confused1:
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Topic author
stevex

Post by stevex »

Hi, interesting thread just wonder if there is any update.

I drove two mk3 spyders that had the same sensation, a kind of waftyness, load the suspension up and all is good, but try and drive at motorway or A road speeds straight, and it seems hard to keep the car straight, very wafty and twitch over bumps and changes in road surface, and especially when accelerating.

Topic author
stevex

Post by stevex »

Fixed mine at the weekend, bought a TTE roadster, had a rear shock that was on it's way out, replaced and all sorted, also the drop link was on its way out too.

I also adjusted the toe on the front so I have slight equal toe out on each front wheel, much more stable and better on the corners too.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”