Mk2 error code 12, revs hunting, won’t idle.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
msherry21

Mk2 error code 12, revs hunting, won’t idle.

Post by msherry21 »

Hi all, right, I’m getting fed up with this fecking car now!
I have an error code: 12, distributor or wiring issue.

I can’t set the a ignition timing due to the revs hunting and refusing to have a steady idle. I have the TE1 and E1 terminals bridged.

All earths/ wires coming from the distributor plug look good and I’ve already replaced the coil/plugs/dizzy cap/ rotor and distributor itself. Leads were replaced maybe 2 years ago.

I’m looking for someone to either come out and help diagnose the actual problem or help fix it or at least lead me to the problem, I’m all out of ideas and it’s really just frustrating me now.

Cheers, Michael.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Mk2 error code 12, revs hunting, won’t idle.

Post by peteV6R5 »

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/41/159436.html

few old threads on subject, here is the one most relevant I think
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Mk2 error code 12, revs hunting, won’t idle.

Post by MR2DI4 »

The old fashioned AFM that these cars use is known to give problems.

Also you have a TPS that can give trouble and that is on the throttle body that lets the ECU know where the butterfly is or your "throttle position sensor".

These are both effectively large potentiometers or variable resistors with a wiper on a carbon/ceramic track and are subject to wear.

Yes look for vac leaks. In case anyone has not tried it, just unscrew the oil filler cap with the engine running at idle, it hates it.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 6 years and 2 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”