Mr2 Turbo Jap Import - Rev 2 - ECU 89661-17380 Fix or replace?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
wbutcheruk2

Mr2 Turbo Jap Import - Rev 2 - ECU 89661-17380 Fix or replace?

Post by wbutcheruk2 »

Hi,

I have 1992 Mr2 Turbo Jap import Rev 2. The standard ECU 89661-17380 seems to be the issue of my MR2 cutting out etc. I've read many posts on the issue which is the capacitors have leaked and damaged the board etc. I have had the capacitors replaced, but the car still won't run without cutting out. We think the actual circuit board has been corrodided. I'm not sure if this can be repaired. So in the mean time i took a gamble on a £40 second hand one from the bay, same issue and looks even worse inside.

So i'm struggling with what to try next. Can my one be fixed? Gambling on another second hand one from Mr2 ben is costly at £150 i feel, aftermarket versions costing even more. So i was wondering if any other numbered ECU's fit? tho been advised to only use same number.

can i send my ECU off to one of these places that rebuild them at near on £200.

Advice please as i don't believe its possible to buy a new one these days.

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Mr2 Turbo Jap Import - Rev 2 - ECU 89661-17380 Fix or replace?

Post by notroubleclubber »

Tracks on the pcb get damaged so this will need to have wires installed to jumper the points
No point getting secondhand ones unless they already been repaired as they all do it.
Any good electronics company can repair these. So its either pay for a repair or pay to go standalone (along with mapping etc)

Topic author
wbutcheruk2

Post by wbutcheruk2 »

I think a repair sounds to be the best option. Any ideas on how much this might cost?

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by martin42006 »

Could you get a few pics of the damage?
Cost will vary depending on the extent of damage.
I fix circuit boards for a living so would happily take a look at it for you.
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

Topic author
wbutcheruk2

Post by wbutcheruk2 »

Hi Martin42006 - Thank you. My friend knows someone thats going to take look, but if no joy, i will post pics and take you up on your offer.

Thank you.

Topic author
wbutcheruk2

Post by wbutcheruk2 »

Just to let everyone know. Managed to fix it. Capactiors replaces and tracks re-done. Took a couple of hours for a novice and my friend. But shes back running aagin. Thanks for the advice and offer.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Excellent :th: If you have any before and after pictures post then up, be very handy for other people to have an idea what to look for ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Yes I would be interested in any pictures, I have a couple of spare ECU's but I don't seem to be having the same capacitor problems but the best idea would be to replace the caps before they leaked and damaged the board.

Even posting the number of the cap printed on the board and the value of it would be enough to find them.

Topic author
wbutcheruk2

Post by wbutcheruk2 »

The main cap issue was C810 Idle control i believe. The two that had leaked were the 10Uf 50v. I will try and post pics soon.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

The best idea would to replace them with really good quality capacitors like aluminium electrolytic or some Panasonic or well known brand electrolytic capacitors.

https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminiu ... s/0571256/

Potentially even Tantalums would be good. Simply not worth putting cheap "censored" in and saving $1 because in a few years you will have the same problem.

https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/tantalum ... s/1349857/

Topic author
wbutcheruk2

Post by wbutcheruk2 »

Yes there is a thread somewhere on a Lexus forum. But as above RS componemts sell Panasonic version with low ESR versions. You need to match the Uf rating but you can use a higher volts. It cost me £9 for all eight and had to buy bags of 5 each.
I'm struggling to upload photos, stupid work machine is locked down! But a big bit of advice if your tracks are coroded is to google the circuit board number and not anything ecu related and this will show up the board areas better for how the tracks should be. Then you can rebuild with copper track or briding wires and check and double your joints for dry joints as this was also an issue.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

upload them using the file upload here https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/mr2oc-gallery.html and I'll link them to this thread or email them to me and I'll add them go the thread PM me for an email addy
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”