engine stalls after 4 seconds

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

PaulWoods
Years of MR2 Ownership: 19
MR2's Owned: 28

Re: engine stalls after 4 seconds

Post by PaulWoods »

Okay, that's not the ECU ground, it is near the middle of the plenum directly under the cold start injector fuel feed pipe, an M6 bolt, that is the ECU ground point.

Also we still need answers on wether or not you have power to one side of your injectors or not, at this point i'm just guessing you have, if you test for power it will make it much easier to help you.

Also does the check engine light come on with the ignition?

Topic author
jim2167

Post by jim2167 »

I have just over 12 volts to all injectors when the ignition is turned on. Checked and cleaned the ground on the manifold end twice. When the ignition is turn on I have 4 lights pn the dash, engine management light yellow, battery charge light red, hand brake red, a gap then one with a picture of an engine and fan red. When i got the engine running only the hand brake light still on. I have noticed that the fuel gauge is not working but i have put 3 gallons of petrol in it. If i wire the gauge from the sender unit to a battery the needle moves so thinking it's just the sender unit in the tank that at fault, thought I'd mention this just in case.
The ground connector on the manifold show a good connection to the car body but if I try the second connector on the injectors I get nothing.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

You won't, the circuit is: -
fuse - >injector relay->solenoid resistors->injector->ecu->ground
the ecu controls the injectors by switching the ground to them on/off. The ecu grounds are all made at the inlet manifold via the N1 connector, hence checking the manifold connection.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
jim2167

Post by jim2167 »

Does this mean if i crank the engine i should be able to read the second connector ground on a multimeter.

PaulWoods

Post by PaulWoods »

No you won't, you need to use a noid light to check injector pulse.

Topic author
jim2167

Post by jim2167 »

Just tested the n1 connector by removing the cover and cranking the engine it switched over when the engine was cranked and switched back just after cranking stopped. I'm guessing it must be the ecu. I've removed both sides of the ecu covers but could not see anything visual wrong strayed it with wd40 (worked in my sit on mower) but with no luck on the mr2.

PaulWoods

Post by PaulWoods »

Buy this noid light kit, insert one into injector plug and report what happens when you crank the engine over, does the noid light flash?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 0973853659

Topic author
jim2167

Post by jim2167 »

Ordered one tonight do should be here on Friday will give feedback then. I can get an ecu from neil jones for £42 if i need it.

PaulWoods

Post by PaulWoods »

Pretty sure i have a matching ECU you can have for free, will check today.

PaulWoods

Post by PaulWoods »

Ok your ECU is from a cross over model, I don't have a 17070, but I do have a 17140, i'm presuming you have a Mk1b engine in this car so a 17140 ECU should also work, but just to confirm can I see a pic of your engine bay please. I also have an earlier Mk1a ECU, so I need to check exactly what you have.

Topic author
jim2167

Post by jim2167 »

Not sure how to download photos onto this web site as file size is oversized.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

It probably isn't the file size, most likely the image dimensions that are too large, anyhoo, here you go

Looking at your pic that's a 1a engine,leave it to Paul to either confirm or refute that

PaulWoods

Post by PaulWoods »

Agreed, looks like a mk1a, but confusingly mk1b intake/airbox, typical crossover car with mixture of parts.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

:blush: never noticed the 1b intake, was going by the IAT sensor and the single vac line on the intake plenum. Its a proper crossover :D

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”