Clutch problems

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
timnutt

Clutch problems

Post by timnutt »

Hi,

I've finished re-building the engine and have installed it back in the car - All wired up and ready to start filling with engine oil, gearbox oil and coolant. Before filling up the gearbox, I thought I'd check the clutch was working. So, I jacked up one side of the car and put it in 1st gear, when my partner presses the clutch I can't turn the wheel that is off the ground, which I would have thought I would be able to do.

The piston moves when the clutch is pressed and bleeding hasn't made any difference. Am I missing something? Is my knowledge of how a diff works a bit limited - no pun intended, I don't know if I have a LSD or not :facepalm:

Car is an MK2 Rev2 Turbo.

Thanks
Tim

Snorkie
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Clutch problems

Post by Snorkie »

If you rock the wheel backwards and forwards, can you see if the engine (crankshaft pulley) is moving.

Is the handbrake off.

Topic author
timnutt

Post by timnutt »

Yeah, handbrake is off, as the wheel rotates when not in gear. I'll try rocking the wheel, but fairly sure it is in gear.
One thing I forgot to mention with the old clutch before I replaced it, it used to disengage right at the end of the pedal's travel. You had to put your clutch foot to the floor to get it into gear. I guess with a new clutch that has tipped it over the edge.
Tim

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

Have you adjusted the pedal?
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
timnutt

Post by timnutt »

No. Will that make a difference?

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yes, pedal adjustment should be checked and adjusted with a new clutch / changes to the hydraulic system. It should also be adjusted as the clutch wears.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-dpUp ... sp=sharing

Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
timnutt

Post by timnutt »

Many thanks for that!
But how the hell do you get both hands under there - I end up taking the seat out and still struggled. Hopefully all done now, just waiting for the Mrs to come home and I can test it again - :)

Tim

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”