From Sorn to Road Worthy

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
SensibleInvestment

From Sorn to Road Worthy

Post by SensibleInvestment »

Hello all,

Recently joined the forums after gaining a lot of interest in restoring an MR2, I would love a project car, but I believe I want a newer Rev4+ GT variant.

Instead, I picked up a 1991 G-Limited Jap Import for £250.

Engine runs, most of the lights work, brakes and handbrake (seem to) work for now. Only mostly MoT history back to 2000. Appears to have had a major Engine rebuild(?) back in 2005 which might explain the upside-down Toyota badge over the manifold.

Still debating on fixing this up myself, getting an MoT and seeing if I can make a little profit towards a GT, or just keep this one and leave my mark on it. First task was to give it a long over-due clean, which it probably still requires a lot more.

So far there are only a few missing parts. The main concerns are:
-Engine Maintenance (Cambelt, Oil, etc)
-Brake Pads, Discs, & Tyres
-T-Bar roof leak
-Window seals

There isn't a cover under the engine lid, and one of the engine lid rubber seals (passenger side) appears to be missing. Also under the driver side engine lid, there are a few loose-end cables, assuming that's the radio which I haven't tested and am currently not too bothered about.

Also behind the driver's seat, found a little compartment with leather(?) covers (Not the felt covers that clip into the glass) for what I assume to be for the Glass T-bar roof, looks like it's never seen the light of day.

Look forward to updating this as I learn and restore more. Will also take in any advice for what I should look out for/work on.

Cheers,

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: From Sorn to Road Worthy

Post by angpozzuto »

Congrats on your first Mr2. The first job that should be done is checking if the sponges in the sills have been removed and pull them out if they’re still there.
You need to remove the trim where the seatbelt is mounted and if you’ve got big hands the seatbelt reel too, then right at the bottom there should be a big piece or sponge that needs to be pulled. When they come out you should be able to see if there’s any rust on the inner sills, sometimes they can be fused to the sills with rust and they’ll take a good yank to get them free.
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

Good model to start with and learn the ropes. Can decide in a year or two if this is the car for you and what engine suits your ambition. Nothing wrong with the NA versions as they offer loads of fun. Get the basics right including tyres, brakes & suspension.

StearmanJD
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by StearmanJD »

Holy smokes!
I was looking to buy the same car - it's a J reg right? And the reg ends with a B? ;)

I ended up not going for it in the end, but I'm glad I'll have the opportunity to see it being taken care of and cherished.

Myself, I bought a Rev 3 MR2 GT N/A just a few days ago.
I'm still too young, waiting to hit 21 so I can insure the thing! But until then, it'll be worked on - when I'm not flooded with University work!

My aim is pretty much the same as yours, restore it to a Street Show condition and learn the in's and out's of the car. I have little mechanical experience so this is going to be a very steep learning curve! As for the GT - it doesn't run, brakes need changing, sills need replacing. Trying to diagnose a 1994 engine isn't going to be easy. :yahoo:

I'll keep an eye on this thread.
All the best with your restoration!

-Kav

Topic author
SensibleInvestment

You're right!

Do I dare ask what made you not go for it in the end? If you're local to the area then hit me up if you need an extra pair of hands or spares I may have ripped off mine.

Sounds like I'm in a similar situation to you, Work fulltime, Uni parttime, so no idea where I'm going to find the time to work on this car, and to add to that, I'm looking to buy my own place this year! Hence the username.

Just for a slight update - Spent the last 2 days cleaning the whole car. So far the only bits of rust is T-Bar middle/driver side, and the Radiator(?) right at the front is completely gone to rust. Tried to get the Sill sponge out as suggested, however couldn't figure out how to pop out the little cubby-hole lid so I couldn't get the whole panel out, but I'll reattack that another time.

Currently working on drying the car out, got dehumidifier pads from Halfords to get rid of as much moisture as I can. I think the first big task is to get this car on Axle-stands and work on the brakes/suspension/wheels.

Any recommendations for colour scheme? Thinking of having the bolts/rivet things around the rim a different colour to the rest.

StearmanJD

Post by StearmanJD »

I'm not techically local to the seller.
I'm using my parent's garage at the moment to store the car and on my apprenticeship in Bristol - so I'll be going back and forth every other weekend or so, to work on the car. My parent's are 2 hours drive away so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage there.

I could have gone for it in Collompton, but would've had to pay a lot more to get it transported to my home town. Although the price was quite inviting, I really fancied a Rev 3 with the 2 piece spoiler and the Kouki Tail Lights. So I placed the car you have on the "backup list" and searched for a Rev 3.

One resource that might be useful, is the 1991 BGB when you're tackling any mechanical jobs.

S81933
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by S81933 »

What has, I presume the previous owner, been doing to that wheel? The outer rim is virtually scraped away! Are all the others like that? Could possibly run into MoT issues under the new rules.

Topic author
SensibleInvestment

Yup, all the wheels are exactly the same. Would love to find out...how. Just how. Are you talking about cracked alloys? Or is there a new MoT rule I'm unaware of?

Managed to get the foam out. Looks fairly clean but there is definitely a bit of rust.
Driver Side
Passenger Side facing outwards
Passenger Side facing inwards

Not as bad as others I've seen, but still want to tackle this as best as I can.
Found an MR2 for breaking in the local area, so going to replace a few of the small broken/worn trim and buttons. As well as hopefully getting a non-tacky wheel and gearstick. (No offense to those who love carbon fiber wrap).

Does anyone know how to find the code on the Engine? As it was replaced in 2005, I want to understand what version it is, but can't seem to find the location anywhere.

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by angpozzuto »

Those sponges look pretty good did you check inside the cavity to see if/how much is in there? Could be worth spraying a rust treatment/prevention down there
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

StearmanJD

Post by StearmanJD »

Not the best image in the world, but all I found in the Owners Manual.

Topic author
SensibleInvestment

After a long few months we are back! (Post is a little photo heavy, I can resize them if needed)

I spent far too long on re-furbishing the wheels, the car has been deep cleaned, salt remover, rust preventerered, and copious amounts of wax on the underside, the inside has been shampoo cleaned.

Leaks in the boot were fixed (Accidentally pulled off the alarm, which exposed the rusted hole) I had a leak in the driver's side quarter window, but after pulling the T-bar trim off and re-sealing, it seems to have done the job.

Engine has had the air intake system completely cleaned out, new fuel and oil filters. Many interior panels and braces have been given a fresh coat of paint.

Gone in for an MOT, and it has......Failed.......However that is just due to the dust covers on the drop links being too worn, so hopefully come monday, I shall be able to replace those and go back for a better resulting MOT.
Before
After

Scratching off the beautiful paintwork from before......
And now I understand it might not be to everyone's liking, but I'm happy with the colour and finish.

Side-by-side after sanding

Of course camera doesn't do it justice, probably should've waited for a sunny day.

Once car is MOT'd, looking at revamping the suspension system, radio, and fixing a couple interior trim pieces. - Also if you've read this far and have any tips for identifying ground leaks from the battery in the MR2, I'm all ears....

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Looking Good well done so far :clapping:
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

StearmanJD

Post by StearmanJD »

Awesome work dude! Keep it up!

SegaAges
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SegaAges »

Congrats on the Mr2 mate looks good, I've had mine for nearly 15 years now a red Gt Tbar , it's been parked in my garage under a car cover for the past 8 years, I started a family and kissed good by to driving my 2, flipping glad I never sold now as my daughter is old enough now and keeps getting in it, looking at it and saying when can we go for a drive daddy? Lol already a mini petrol head getting her out of it is a nightmare so I thought right get it together and back on the road, was nice hearing the decat custom stainless exhaust again though relite the fires in me again, nearly finished just got the rear brake calipers to rebuild.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”