Standard battery drain for parasitic comparison

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Standard battery drain for parasitic comparison

Post by MR2DI4 »

I decided to measure my battery drain as the current battery went flat over a couple of weeks without driving the car.

What I did was remove the negative terminal with a multimeter already connected to the negative battery lead with a clip and a standard probe lead on top of the negative battery terminal while I pulled the negative terminal up over it so it didn't break the connection.

I have pretty standard stuff like aftermarket stereo and an Alarm.I was worried I suddenly had some sort of Parasitic drain.

Basically I get 25mA which is acceptable for a MR2.

Looks like my battery is on the way out, its 5 years old and wasn't a good one, back to Yuasa if I can find one.

timnutt

Re: Standard battery drain for parasitic comparison

Post by timnutt »

Good to know the drain. I have a similar problem, and I was going to ask was a sensible drain was. Maybe my battery is on the way out too.
Thanks

Topic author
MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Standard battery drain for parasitic comparison

Post by MR2DI4 »

Yes it was 25.4mA or something as I had my meter on the 400mA range.

I didn't break the connection totally and then reconnect with the meter because I don't know if anyone else has noticed but you can get quite an inrush current on a re-connection.

I would think this is normal for an older car, probably lower on a modern vehicle with lower power electronics these days I expect about 15mA.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”