Highland Drive 2019 booking thread

Moderators: Ripley, toymr2

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Highland Drive 2019 booking thread

Post by TonyleFrog »

1) The road to/from Elgol is a personal favourite of mine. :)

However I don't recall ever doing an out-and-back dead end single track road on the HD.
I think the reason for that may be due to having 10+ cars in the convoy.

2) What B roads? There aren't any in the Sleat penisula AFAIK.
This would probably be the only practical route - https://goo.gl/maps/QZpEuWUoYfw
Time it wrong and we'll be mixing it with the ferry traffic on the A851 to/from Armadale.
The only B road on the island that I know of which isn't a dead-end is the B885 from Bracadale to Portree.
https://goo.gl/maps/iAsWg2G3AMu

The Kylerhea-Glenelg ferry is without question the best way on and off Syke. :th:
What you have overlooked though is it will split the convoy.

No chance whatever of getting 11 cars on it simultaneously! :no:
We will end up with three separate mini groups.
Waiting to get back together will lose us a lot of time.
That will have a knock-on effect for the rest of the day.

@ Admin/Mods. Would it be best if all the posts on this thread re routes be moved to the relevant one?
Last edited by TonyleFrog on 10/02/19 0:52, edited 1 time in total.

If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Brollachan

Post by Brollachan »

The B roads for Sleat was just a figure of speach, but yea they are just single track roads and this was the route.

The Glenelg ferry can hold up to 6 cars, so even if we had 3 trips to get everyone over, it would not be more than an hour max. From past experience I would say 30-40 mins tho

Looking back to Broadford

Heading towards the ferry

The ferry

I can think of one other route thats worth considering, but would be looking to kill time later on

Broadford-Skye Bridge-Plockton-Stromeferry

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

Brollachan wrote: 10/02/19 0:45 The B roads for Sleat was just a figure of speach, but yea they are just single track roads and this was the route.
My guess was correct (see the link I posted). :)
Brollachan wrote: 10/02/19 0:45The Glenelg ferry can hold up to 6 cars, so even if we had 3 trips to get everyone over, it would not be more than an hour max. From past experience I would say 30-40 mins tho
We might squeeze in 6 MR2s (i.e. only 2 trips) but that assumes nobody else is ahead of us waiting to cross. Any vans/SUVs and the capacity is likely to be down to 4. Also, that time loss is just for the ferry. To that you have to add the longer/slower route. The total difference is considerable and would have a knock-on effect for the rest of the day.

Via the bridge - https://goo.gl/maps/YPpWz7mndRG2
Via the ferry - https://goo.gl/maps/55DdyrQqJi12
Brollachan wrote: 10/02/19 0:45 I can think of one other route thats worth considering, but would be looking to kill time later on

Broadford-Skye Bridge-Plockton-Stromeferry
The harbour at Plockton is photogenic - https://goo.gl/maps/kBBuFMTDfSG2 - but there isn't much else to commend that route to Stromeferry imo. It's single track with too many trees for decent views of Loch Carron. The A890 from the A87 junction at Auchtertyre is a much better drive.

:confused1: Not sure where you're getting the kill time idea from. That section would be after we have left Skye and on our way to Ullapool. The Google Maps timings don't include any stops: e.g. lunch, comfort breaks, photos.

Previously our route has been Kyle -> Broadford -> Sligachan -> Dunvegan (almost) -> Uig (overnight) -> Staffin -> Portree -> Broadford -> Kyle -> Ullapool. If we're staying in Broadford overnight on Thursday, that makes a big difference to the mileage and journey time for the leg to Ullapool. I'm not sure what the team has in mind for Friday. A repeat would look like this - https://goo.gl/maps/qQ96JAwCWB32

It is my understanding that the surface of the short cut from Uig to Staffin via the Quiraing is like that of the moon - full of craters - so the route in the link takes the long way round across the top of the island.

Brollachan

Post by Brollachan »

Sorry if I got this all wrong :blush:

I know with previous trips to Skye the group has covered most of the top of the island while based at Uig. I assumed with the group based in Broadford, a different part of the island would be explored, hence some suggestions.

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

No apology required: there isn't a right or wrong answer. ;)

Personally I'm all for including roads we haven't used before.
Whether that will work in practice is something else.
I suspect the final choice will depend on what the plan is for lunch.

I'm sure the organising team are happy to receive any/all suggestions.
And whatever they decide on will put a smile on our faces.

stewart@boro
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by stewart@boro »

There will be a few hundred thousand miles covered by Ripley before the HD, she's going into orbit :laughing

delhusband
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by delhusband »

Hi Ann, is it to late to ask about accommodation for Thursday night? I was originally Sat/Sun, but can do Fri/Sat/Sun if i can get accomm Thursday (willing to camp, if no availability and there's camping area nearby)

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by Topdownman »

Thats the spirit, Derek!

delhusband

Post by delhusband »

Topdownman wrote: 02/03/19 13:23 Thats the spirit, Derek!
Managed to blag a day off work :toot:

Brollachan

Post by Brollachan »

delhusband wrote: 02/03/19 10:38 Hi Ann, is it to late to ask about accommodation for Thursday night? I was originally Sat/Sun, but can do Fri/Sat/Sun if i can get accomm Thursday (willing to camp, if no availability and there's camping area nearby)
Thursday night is the Travel Lodge in Dumbarton, you can just drive up friday morning to get there :th:

If you get stuck for Friday night, gives a shout, it might be a couch as a bed, but the free digs, food and bar make it for it :yahoo:

delhusband

Post by delhusband »

Brollachan wrote: 03/03/19 12:23
delhusband wrote: 02/03/19 10:38 Hi Ann, is it to late to ask about accommodation for Thursday night? I was originally Sat/Sun, but can do Fri/Sat/Sun if i can get accomm Thursday (willing to camp, if no availability and there's camping area nearby)
Thursday night is the Travel Lodge in Dumbarton, you can just drive up friday morning to get there :th:

If you get stuck for Friday night, gives a shout, it might be a couch as a bed, but the free digs, food and bar make it for it :yahoo:
That's really good of you, thanks for the offer! I work in aberdeen through the week, so my plan was to leave from there about 3pm on Thurs night. I might just leave it to Friday morning then, and drive across to Skye and meet up with you all there :)

delhusband

Post by delhusband »

delhusband wrote: 03/03/19 12:28
Brollachan wrote: 03/03/19 12:23

That's really good of you, thanks for the offer! I work in aberdeen through the week, so my plan was to leave from there about 3pm on Thurs night. I might just leave it to Friday morning then, and drive across to Skye and meet up with you all there :)
Actually, sorry, I've just re-read the thread and looked at the routes thread, isn't Thursday night at Dunollie in Broadford on Skye? I thought Wednesday night was Dumbarton or Perth Travelodge. I'm a bit confused...Basically, if possible, I'd like Thur/Fri/Sat night accommodation for driving Fri/Sat/Sun. I think Ann's sorted me out for Sat. I wont need Sun, so if it's too late for me to cancel that Sunday night booking then anyone else in need is welcome to it. So I just need to make arrangements for Thurs and Fri night.

Ripley
Years of MR2 Ownership: 22
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Ripley »

[/quote]
Actually, sorry, I've just re-read the thread and looked at the routes thread, isn't Thursday night at Dunollie in Broadford on Skye? I thought Wednesday night was Dumbarton or Perth Travelodge. I'm a bit confused...Basically, if possible, I'd like Thur/Fri/Sat night accommodation for driving Fri/Sat/Sun. I think Ann's sorted me out for Sat. I wont need Sun, so if it's too late for me to cancel that Sunday night booking then anyone else in need is welcome to it. So I just need to make arrangements for Thurs and Fri night.
[/quote]

Hi Derek, you are correct. Wed night Travelodge Dumbarton. Thursday night Dunollie on Skye, fri, sat and Sunday Morefield Ullapool.

I’ll sort your accommodation and pm you confirmation :th:

Save the bunnies!

delhusband

Post by delhusband »

Thanks Ann, sorry to muck you about, appreciated :)

Return to “Highland Drive 2019”