Dead Alternator again - anyone suggest a good replacement ?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Dead Alternator again - anyone suggest a good replacement ?

Post by MR2DI4 »

Well it looks like my Alternator has died again after the rebuild several years ago.

Really hate the fact that a dash warning light doesn't come on with these. Should have know something was amiss when after I started it the windscreen wipers were really slow.

Anyway it died at the lights on me about 20 minutes later and it was a "Phone Home" moment to bring out the spare battery. With every possible electrical thing turned off it made it home.

Now rebuilding my own is great, the problem now is that most of the parts used are now nearly 30 years old and if the diode pack is gone or some of the copper enamel has failed in the winding's its toast.

Has anyone found a great source for a non OEM one ? preferably one thats even better than 100Amps ? Have you got a link to their Website ?

The extra hood fan and IC fan and the boosted fuel pump are just killing my stock alternator.

Its a total pig to change this with the engine still in the car and I only ever want to do it ONCE more.

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: Dead Alternator again - anyone suggest a good replacement ?

Post by martin42006 »

You sure it's not the wiring.
There pretty prone to going brittle and breaking at the connector, if they break you don't get any warning lights.
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

Many rebuilt alternators only change a few of the parts. Often the bridge rectifier fails due to broken solder joints off diodes. I have recently had two failures on my gen 3’s so I can feel your pain.

My solution was to buy a NEW aftermarket alternator from US site on eBay. I moved up to a 130amp model to help cope with the extra electrical load on car(a2w pump, WI, fans, etc). Apart from the adjuster bolt spacing being 5mm off the alternators have worked out great. I’ll try and post up link later when off phone.

Topic author
MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

benckj wrote: 07/04/19 19:13 Many rebuilt alternators only change a few of the parts. Often the bridge rectifier fails due to broken solder joints off diodes. I have recently had two failures on my gen 3’s so I can feel your pain.

My solution was to buy a NEW aftermarket alternator from US site on eBay. I moved up to a 130amp model to help cope with the extra electrical load on car(a2w pump, WI, fans, etc). Apart from the adjuster bolt spacing being 5mm off the alternators have worked out great. I’ll try and post up link later when off phone.
Hi, yes please post a link.

There are MR2 alternators on E-Bay I have already been looking at and they are up to 200 Amps but for some weird reason they said it could not be fitted to the JDM version of the MR2.

More research shows new aftermarket ones made in Taiwan and no doubt the Chinese ones have filtered into the market as well. I would appear that larger markets like the USA have gone much further than we have with just refurbs.

I can fit the later model Turbo alternator as all that changed was the position of the main battery terminal. Currently I'm running the 1992 onwards version in mine simply by making a thick alloy 90 degree angle bracket that is bolted to the terminal as a converter.

Still awaiting confirmation from Toyota but the correct part numbers for the 1989-1992 3SGTE alternator are:-

Toyota # 27060-74180

DENSO # 210-0184

13385 comes up on some of these as well as these numbers and yet this number on a few of the e-bay ones is apparently no good ? See "13385 Alternator" on E-Bay.

Really doesn't matter if I have to make up a custom washer on the Lathe to get the spacing correct, its the least of my worries.

Topic author
MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

More research and it would appear that the major issue of the higher current ones is the overall SIZE. Anything bigger than the stock one will be much harder to get into the engine bay. The stock one ONLY just fitted in as it was.

benckj

Post by benckj »

This is the one I bought in link below. Size isn't an issue but the pivot bolt hole is 5mm out so simply need to drill it out and install a longer bolt with nylon nut/washer on back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-High-Outpu ... 2f29ae8c4f

I really wouldn't want to go above 130amps as the fuse rating is 120. Tried to find a 120amp model but struggled to find one in the right size/configuration. These are made in US so hoping are of decent quality. Don't ever want to do this job again!

I did write a thread on the replacement along with issues I encountered. Nearly had to drop the engine on my turbo to remove alternator. It was a real mission to complete.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

benckj

Post by benckj »

For more info check my previous thread.

http://mr2.org.nz/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15196

Topic author
MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Cheers, read the other thread.

Just to clarify is your new alternator actually SMALLER diameter than the old OEM one ?

The OEM one only just comes out between the engine and the subframe if you remove the exhaust and push it sideways. This is not such a big deal for me as 3 bolts on the downpipe flange and a few other bolts and its done.

A smaller diameter replacement would make getting it back in a whole lot easier.

Obviously I would need the round plug to the oval plug adapter as well.

Still not clear on what is 5mm out, are you saying the distance between the mounting points is wrong ? thats a real pain in the ass.

benckj

Post by benckj »

Yes, the new one is slightly smaller diameter from OEM (gen 3) although I didn't measure it up. Mine would not fit between the engine & subframe even if I pulled the whole exhaust. On the gen 3 NA I managed to get out but had to drop sub frame by 30-40mm. Now remember that the gen 3 OEM alternators are 80 amps so they may be in fact smaller than the gen 2's.

The 5mm is the distance between pivot point and adjuster bolt hole. This is for a gen 3 but think the earlier models are OK. Distance should be stated in the MR2 thread.

If you buy from ebay most sellers will not send overseas or charge like a wounded bull. I sent mine through Youshop and it was very economical to do so. Took a bit longer but I was in no hurry.

Topic author
MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Yes I saw you got it via YouShop for about $65. Freight charges are all over the place but the bigger problem with the higher freight is it then pushes the total cost over the $400 customs Duty charge and then you get smashed with another $115+

benckj

Post by benckj »

I thought It was less than $250nzd delivered. Didn’t get hit with any customs or import charges. Better price than anything in NZ.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

MR2DI4 wrote: 06/04/19 23:37 Really hate the fact that a dash warning light doesn't come on with these. Should have know something was amiss when after I started it the windscreen wipers were really slow.
You should have warning lights? Usually when the alternator fails you get the battery light, plus a few others depending on market light cat temp, engine fan.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Battery charging. Will check the lights when I move the car to make sure they are all working before starting the car.

Am currently banging my head against the wall dealing with Americans on E-Bay trying to get any useful confirmations out of them. Rather than answering basic questions they get upset and then block you. Unbelievable I have had less trouble dealing with the Chinese in countless no problem transactions, no wonder they are in a trade war. So unhelpful and boarder-line plain rude.

Also just to confirm that the 1989-1991 JDM Turbo has the following Alternator part numbers for anyone looking. The number have all worn off mine. Model of my MR2 is E-SW20-ACMZZ

Toyota# 27060-74180

DENSO# 210-0184

If it doesn't have these exact numbers in the listing its probably not going to fit. There is no way I'm taking a drill to the mounting bracket or changing the mechanical mounting configuration in any way, it has to be a direct bolt on fit.

benckj

Post by benckj »

I found some of the US sellers good and others horrible. The one I bought from responded with dimensions straight away. Others never replied.

I was fine re-drilling and tapping the adjustment hole. Plenty of material around hole to secure and I added a nylon nut on back side just to be sure. Not really a big deal IMO.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”