Clutch bleeding

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Luke2152
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Clutch bleeding

Post by Luke2152 »

Replaced clutch master and slave cylinders this weekend and having a nightmare getting the air out of the system. Have tried the old school friend opening and closing the nipple. Tried the one man bleeder. Tried the gunson pressure bleeder with a suitably modified cap. Tried running hose from a brake caliper nipple to the clutch and pump it through from the bottom up.

Only other thing I can think of is drawing a vacuum from the nipple.

The system is weird with the bleed nipple located on the block below the slave cylinder - I guess because the cylinder is a bit awkward to get at under the turbo. Any tips?

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: Clutch bleeding

Post by benckj »

Try reading BGB. The slave is different than a brake cylinder as air can enter on back stroke.

Snorkie
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Snorkie »

If you can get hold of a vacuum bleeder (buy or borrow), you can use your pressure and vacuum bleeder and pump the pedal at the same time.

Sometimes the fluid just gets saturated with air and you just have to leave it for a while.

One other trick is to wedge the clutch pedal down with a piece of wood and just leave it over night (bleed nipple closed).

Good luck.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Clutch master needs priming as I found out when doing mine, just would not pump fluid even when topped up.
simple enough take the clutch line off and allow fluid to run through.
found my new one would not self prime.
reconnect and it should be Ok from then
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
Luke2152
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by Luke2152 »

I got it done in the end. Mityvac pump on the bleed nipple running through two bottles so as not to fill the pump with fluid. Then pressure bleeder on the top. Much operating the pedal and working the clutch cylinder by hand and after about a litre of fluid had gone through I finally had all the air out.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”