Brake master cylinder for MK2 import

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
koalagirl
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Brake master cylinder for MK2 import

Post by koalagirl »

yes its devastating. the master cylinder didn't fit so they took bits off and put in mine. it drives fine and then for no reason it just pulls back and doesn't want to drive forward. today, all four wheels were hot to touch. when it was in neutral and the handbrake was off it wouldn't move at all. the AA man loosened the master cylinder and took the hoses off to let the fluid out, then towed me to the garage. i really don't want to get rid of my car but if i can't find the right part then i don't know what to do.

Absu

Post by Absu »

What you registration? Maybe I can help you with the right cylinder.

Topic author
koalagirl
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by koalagirl »

I'n having no luck finding one. AA agreed that it's probably the master cylinder.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

PM me your VIN number https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.htm ... kbartid=95 and I'll get you the Toyota part number for the correct master cylinder which will made finding the correct one much easier
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

If you can't get a master cylinder you may be able to get a master cylinder repair kit, but there's quite a few variations, need VIN number to ensure the correct one, registration number is no use as it only refers to the registration date not the build date

Absu

Post by Absu »

koalagirl wrote: 24/06/19 19:10 Please could anyone help me. I have had new calipers and brake pads on the rear of my car a fortnight ago. All has been fine until saturday when all of a sudden the car wasn't pulling as well and the brake pedal was up and really hard. The garage thought it might have been the servo but the car wouldn't move when it was switched off so they thought maybe not. They have said it could be the master cylinder but they can't find one anywhere. Does anyone know where there might be one available to buy? Its an M reg. 2 litre turbo. japanese import. I have spent a lot of money on the car and don't want to have to get rid of it. Any ideas please?
Hi there,

Just to let you know that brake master cylinder 47201-17250 is discontinued and no longer available also it was quite expensive with retail price of £325.67

However you can still buy Brake Master Cylinder repair kit which is retails around £140 incl vat.

Also did you have any problems with the brakes before work has been carried out?

Hope this helps.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Cleaned up the thread, EPC "discussion" moved to here https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/171/167745.html

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

There are 3 different brake master cylinders for a Japanese market Rev3 Turbo:

47201-17230 - Non ABS.
47201-17250 - ABS.
47201-17240 - ABS and TRC.

http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/1994/mr ... nder#47201

UK market NA for the same year is a different PN for non ABS and ABS (no TRC available).

The Japanese market NA's are the same PN for non ABS and ABS (again not TRC available):
http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/1994/mr ... nder#47201

No idea what the difference is between the UK market ones and the Japanese ones.

Shouldn't be hard to source one though.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”