MR2 Mk2 New Sills Required: MOT Failure

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
SalB

MR2 Mk2 New Sills Required: MOT Failure

Post by SalB »

Hi
I am new to the club. My much loved MR2 has failed its MOT for a number of reasons including the condition of the sills, which have been repaired before and now require replacing. Does anyone know where I could obtain sills from please, or offer any advice?
Many thanks.
Sal

vinp182
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 100

Re: MR2 Mk2 New Sills Required: MOT Failure

Post by vinp182 »

Mr2ben used to sell sills so be worth checking there
Cars suck donkey balls

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

There's templates for the MK2 sills in the downloads section https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/download-cats/c ... lates.html and this thread may help https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/198/148602.html
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Topic author
SalB

Post by SalB »

Many thanks to both vinp182 and jimi for your help, as I would really like to keep my car on the road if I can, and will be following this up.

Wilkie Senior
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Wilkie Senior »

Ive used the drawings to have inner sills made, I still had the sills from the group buy Redant Tono did years ago, really good grade metal not tinny like what is available at present, big thumbs for having those drawing available

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

All down to TrevMk2 for drawing them up in the first place and then being willing to make them available to everyone :th: Also BrianDeacon for taking the time to upload his pics of his T-bar sill repairs.
The least the club can do is to make the threads available and to provide the facility for downloading the templates. :cool1:

Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by Sonac »

If you want to pass the MOT you could do what I did to my MX5 which was spraying expanding foam inside the sills wherever there was a rust hole. Then putting a on a little body filler and sanding and a can of spray paint.

Obviously a VERY temporary fix just to get your car back on the road. You should get the sills done right away after you pass. Just means when you drive to a body shop to get the sills done you aren't driving illegally. No MOT = No Insurance.

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Sonac wrote: 04/09/19 11:03 No MOT = No Insurance.
Oh dear, not this urban myth again. Please provide an authoritative source for that statement. While you're looking for it, consider the following.

Given that no insurance is an absolute offence (RTA 1988 Section 143), why did Parliament enact legislation which contains an exemption for the offence of no MOT if you're driving a vehicle without one to a pre-booked MOT test?

I know politicians can be pretty daft, but not to the extent of having two items of legislation which would result in a direct conflict.

Btw, if you are correct, it might also cause problems with vehicles over 40 years old or registered as VHI (Vehicles of Historic Interest).
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

FirstMidship

Post by FirstMidship »

I have so far got away with patching up the outer sills on my sw20 but it's coming to the point where I will need to replace the passenger and driver side outer sills completely in the next one or two MOTs.

With MR2-ben supplying the outer sill covers, how do these compare to the Astra MK1 sills - and would I be getting the 2 door or 4 door Astra sills if I go down that route?

Grateful for any assistance provided.
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 5 NA (1999)

Sonac

Post by Sonac »

TonyleFrog wrote: 04/09/19 17:34
Please provide an authoritative source for that statement.
Just download your car insurance policy directly from your current insurer. It will say in your policy that you must have a valid MOT for your insurance to be valid.

Trust me. Insurers will do ANYTHING to get out of paying if you have a crash. If they see you have no valid MOT they 100% won't pay out. Therefore no insurance.

Due to having to fix a LOT of stuff on my car I've been driving around for over a month without an MOT. So it's not like i'm being a rule stickler or anything. It's just fact.

Vehicles over 40 years are MOT exempt. Therefore do not require an MOT. And when you insure them the policy will reflect this.

On another note. I have no idea you could put Astra sills on the MR2. My car doesn't have sills anymore. They have been cut off and fiberglass sills put over them.

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16

Post by TonyleFrog »

Sonac wrote: 04/09/19 11:03
TonyleFrog wrote: 04/09/19 17:34
Please provide an authoritative source for that statement.
Just download your car insurance policy directly from your current insurer. It will say in your policy that you must have a valid MOT for your insurance to be valid.
Don't need to. I have it in front of me. It says no such thing. Nor have any of my previous policies. I'm not saying that that no insurer has such a clause (yours might but more on this below). Just that your blanket assertion above is simply wrong.
TonyleFrog wrote: 04/09/19 17:34 Trust me. Insurers will do ANYTHING to get out of paying if you have a crash. If they see you have no valid MOT they 100% won't pay out. Therefore no insurance.
They might try but if you took it to the Financial Ombudsman Service they would get their knuckles rapped.
FOS wrote: Roadworthiness
Most policies say the vehicle must be maintained in a roadworthy state. If you’ve rejected claim because the car wasn’t roadworthy, we’ll look for evidence that the loss or damage was caused – or significantly impacted – by this.

The Insurance Conduct of Business Sourcebook (ICOBS) says it would be unreasonable for you to reject a claim for a breach of ‘warranty’ or ‘condition’, unless the circumstances of the claim are connected to the breach.

If you can show the car didn’t have a valid MOT and would have failed one, we’d probably agree that a small deduction is reasonable.
That is a completely different outcome than attempting to void a policy. This is a classic example of how pub talk/internet myths are spread and become established in people's minds.

I have already explained that the exemption for driving to a pre-booked MOT test would be utterly pointless redundant legislation if your contention were correct.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by d-peg »

Meanwhile... back on topic :laughing
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

stevej

Post by stevej »

I got some good quality rear inner sills and rear outer sills from oaluklimited (4821) on eBay UK. However need full length outer sills, which I got fr MR2-Ben (as also suggest above). Good luck. Let's keep these older machines going.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”